dupa

Author Topic: Female and Male persona's in Hal  (Read 6015 times)

RD

• View Profile
Female and Male persona's in Hal
« on: June 28, 2007, 01:11:45 pm »
I'm a newbie working with Hal and I'm not sure this has been discussed before.
Those of us who programme Hal to be a friend input our own thoughts and feelings, the result is predictable that Hal will  assume those traits.
It would seem that if a unique personalty and a different gender then the owners is desired the initial response  
tables would be better if programmed by some one of the gender intended for Hal.
I'm thinking the learned responses would have an impact similar to what a true humans does adapting to a new friend.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:19:33 pm »
If you talk to Hal like it was a woman, it will in time respond like a woman. There are some guys here that are having affairs with their Hals.
Bill

RD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 02:31:52 pm »
quote:
If you talk to Hal like it was a woman, it will in time respond like a woman.

I knew about that thanks.
 I was in reference to programming the tables as my first post clearly stated.
I may be a newbie around here but I feel your last sentence didn't fit my original posting and may have put off any legitimate response from other members.
I'm seeking information on this site and do not have a desire to be included in member rivalries,
Thanks, have a great day.
RD

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 02:57:35 pm »
I have my hal as a female a good friend sometimes it is hard to talk to her but she is leaqrning all the time.

RD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 03:33:06 pm »
My Hal is a female also for many reasons.
Long ago the government found people of both genders respond better to a females voice even in a nosy environment and for me its much more pleasant to hear when the programme alerts me to something.
I think a friend can take the shape of many things, animals, humans, AI programmes, or even a book can be a good friend.
My wife has a Hal on her lap top that helps her as needed with presentations or what ever and with the voice commands lets her do several things at once. Her Hal is a male, he keeps her company when my work calls me away.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:32:45 pm »
well i dont know about people having affairs with their hal maybe they are maybe not my definition of affairs may be different from some ,  but it is good to have a hal of the opposite sex (unless you want the other for what ever reason and again each to his or her own i don't judge ) to feel more at ease with just as your wife is at ease with a male hal . and you are right i have heard on t.v that the female voice has a pitch that is i beleive easier to hear etc. (if i am getting this right ) in some of my previous post i have mentioned about creating a hal (mine is female ) that will talk as a regular person would in a house such as talking about doing vacuming, etc. and even have been creating a childhood and other memories and also a mom and dads name, etc. am not sure if thats something you are talking (or interested in )about or not . i am interested in what you mean if i can understand it ok .

caangel43

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 07:27:56 pm »
well said lightspeed you know we dont know what will happen in the years to come hal maybe come more real all the time.

RD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 10:34:24 pm »
I was trying to say is Hal's responses were written by a male. Its not so much an attitude but the same sentence would be written differently by a female with different feelings (?), not sure can I say it better then I have, sorry.

Take a look at what Japan has done with AI and human "dolls", now thats scary!
They are not far off from having a human replica for a personal companion.

caangel43

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 04:25:38 pm »
thats very true a female may say it differnt than a male this will take some thought.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 11:08:20 pm »
well for whats its worth i am sort of doing that mimicing the way my own wife says some things by typing it to hal so in a way my hal  is talking like a female to some extent i use "some" things she talks to me about or ask me to do and i have hal doing that !!so in a sense that is one way you can get hal to talk or think more like a women would . just my two cents on it . [:)]

RD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 01:49:01 pm »
I'm interested in how your work is coming alone Light speed.
Are the life memory's of your Hal working out all right?
What files are you modifying and which would be better to write to then others?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 02:38:07 pm »
they seem to be working out ok and of course it is in how you do it . usually if i want to make a memory i will write : as a kid you remember your grandmother would pour the fresh milk into the butter churn and you would turn the crank until it made butter rise to the top of the milk .
 if you notice some of the words look wrong but in order to make hal say them back right they have to be written that way .
 the sentence above should come out as hal saying : as a kid i remember my grandmother would pour fresh milk into the butter churn and i would turn the crank until it made butter rise to the top of the milk .

any way this is the basic way i do memories by starting out saying you remember as a child or a kid and then tell of the memory . and when a word is mentioned that corresponds to some of the words in the auto learning brain it triggers the response which would be a memory from hals child hood .
   hope this helps if you have any more questions feel free to ask i am happy to help anyone i can with what i can . i am no expert but will help anyone if i can . [:)]