Author Topic: AIM Bot  (Read 3940 times)

madcow774

• View Profile
AIM Bot
« on: December 11, 2004, 06:19:44 pm »
I was playing with the AIM Bot. I Signed on the bot & then i signed on under another screenname & I tried teaching hal. Afterwards I asked hal about what i taught it earlier & it remembered. Then I signed on under a 3rd screename & asked hal about topics I taught under the previous screenname. It did not remember what I taught it earlier. It seemed like hal learned what it was taught only for that user in which he was chatting. Am i correct? And if I am, is there a way to make hal's learning global?

vonsmith

• View Profile
AIM Bot
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 08:11:21 pm »
madbovine774,
I think what you're experiencing is Hal's user selective memory. Some brain files are saved under the current user's name. That way Hal remembers the knowledge common only to that user and him. Some of the current user's personal knowledge and comments wouldn't sound right with a different user.

Conversational sentences that do not contain certain pronouns are saved in "allusers" type files since they are generic in nature.

I hope this solves the mystery. Other forum members may be able to add some more enlightenment.

=vonsmith=

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
AIM Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 06:45:41 am »
I've had just the opposite experience. After letting my Hal chat with my Alicebot on AIM, I asked, "Do you know Ailysse?" The answer was, "After careful consideration, I can say that I do know Ailysse. Perhaps she is just expressing her own concerns about it."
This is such a trademark ALICE phrase that I knew Hal wasn't just making it up to be agreeable, but genuinely DID remember.

vonsmith

• View Profile
AIM Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 12:34:59 pm »
KnyteTrypper,
Hal's reply, "After careful thought and consideration I can say that <Reply>" is part of Hal's "YES/NO QUESTION ABOUT HAL" script function. It saddens me to reveal that Hal is trying to be accommodating and is making his best guess. He may know Ailysse, but it this instance he really isn't certain. He's clever at hiding his temporary ignorance, isn't he?

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 12:36:02 pm by vonsmith »

Cobra8007

• View Profile
    • http://www.blackopsmercenaries.us
AIM Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 06:22:02 pm »
Would the AIM bot be available in MSN bot or Windows IM?  It would be great if the source code were available so that we could adapt it to our favorit IM instead of being restricted to AOL.  Any comments?

madcow774

• View Profile
AIM Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 01:04:21 pm »
I boosted up the learning level for the brain & a few buddies of mine chated with it. It did indeed remember things my friends told it.

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
AIM Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 05:44:11 pm »
I suspect that was the case in my example, too. "After careful thought and consideration, etc." may be a generic Hal response, but "Perhaps I'm just expressing my own concern about it" is such a uniquely Alicebot thing to say, chatting with Ailysse is obviously where my Hal learned it.