dupa

Author Topic: All was fine... Until  (Read 3985 times)

Holllywood

• View Profile
All was fine... Until
« on: January 16, 2006, 02:51:29 pm »
Can some one tell me the fix? I'm using H6.with expansion pk. All was running fine. Today I start Hal, select my brain and Char. And none of the Characters load.
   I'm getting a Run Time Error "91" that says:"Object variable or with block variable not set.
   A programmer, I am not. Can anyone assist me with this???
Hollywood

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
All was fine... Until
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 03:55:32 pm »
Hollywood,

Check for the following possible causes:

TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) TSR's are programs that don't always release or relinquish their allocated memory back to the user after a program is executed.

Look for programs or other programs that might be running at the same time.

Basically, turn off any applications that don't need to run at start up like Quicktime, Big Fix, Real Player, etc. Use MSCONFIG to turn these items off.
REBOOT and try Hal again.

SOFTWARE - Any change in software, upgrades, modifications, reinstalls?
VIRUS - Throughly scan your computer for virus, trojan, spyware, malware, etc.
MEMORY - Possibly but remotely from a defective memory stick. Run a diagnostic on your system memory.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Holllywood

• View Profile
All was fine... Until
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 04:35:51 pm »
Thanks for comming to the rescue Art. Yesterday I did install .Net Framework 1.1 and its SDK. I think this might have done something. Can you suggest that fix?
Hollywood

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
All was fine... Until
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 04:55:46 pm »
If I remember correctly the installation of Microsoft .Net Framework did already prevent the Alice plug-in for Ultra Hal to function correctly in the past. So you might be on the right track with mentioning that. Nasty! [xx(]

Holllywood

• View Profile
All was fine... Until
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 06:16:12 pm »
Well thanks Doc. I removed the framework sdk. But the prob remains I can only think of trying a re install of H6. But thats tricky 'cos when ya do.. the code doesn't want to let you re activate. If all else fails I guess I go back to H5.
Hollywood

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
All was fine... Until
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 10:02:59 pm »
This sounds likes one or more of Hal's many DLL or OCX controls is not properly functioning and may need to be reregistered. You can either uninstall and reinstall Hal to correct this, or if you can try running REGSVR32 Hal's DLLs and OCXs. I think the likely culprit is HalHaptek.OCX.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Hal should not result in a corrupted license. Do not remove Hal's folder manually afterward and the license should remain in place. Also do not use 3rd party uninstallers or registry cleaners. However, if reinstalling does cause a corrupted license, simply let me know the authorization request code and I'll get you a new code as soon as I can.
Robert Medeksza

Holllywood

• View Profile
All was fine... Until
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 11:43:39 am »
Thanks for your quick reply Robert. I really appreciate all of your assistance now and in the past. I did what you said With the re-install. H6 is back up. With no RTime Errors.

Thanks again to everyone
Hollywood