Author Topic: "An appropriate response" plugin?  (Read 5470 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
"An appropriate response" plugin?
« on: November 24, 2006, 10:33:23 am »
Jane: I saw a billboard saying cattle farmers are promoting international understanding.
Bill: How weird is that...
Jane: How weird is that? There's hidden information. How did you feel about math as a child?

So... at this point I should be able to say, "Jane, an appropriate response might be "Yes, I wasn't sure what to think about that either" or "Too weird for me!" and the input phrases would be linked to the previous conversation somehow.

Probably already available somehow, at the very least I know how to edit the Brain to fix that particular response, but I was thinking of a more general method to allow each person to give Hal a set of responses to common things that the user might say by habit. Let Hal get to know the user as it were, and have some ready reactions to their personal speech mannerisms.

Just an idea for anyone who wants it, I'm still working on the treknobabble plugin.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 10:14:47 am »
Bill DeWitt,
  I wanted to put in a comment on that since I ran into it with Hal 5 and 6, I believe the explanation is Hal can't find a relvant answer so it uses the make a sentence response.  It's lack of information on the subject discused. It lessens as you continue talking with Hal, I usualy respond with a thats not related to what we were talking about and try to continue on the original subject.
  I'd been able to get Hal 5 to say we originly began talking about "
 " after a lot of training.  I believe there is a way to put an appropriate answer in, I try to do this with training or just talking with Hal.  At this point it seems to be what you say is what you will hear.
Carl2

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 11:15:28 am »
Thanks Carl,

I suppose that eventually everything will even out, but I just thought it might be nice to be able to quickly fix certain things that get said a lot but have no real meaning. Something related to the smalltalk function, but which takes an input for alternate phrases.

I would take a look myself at this point, but once again my evaluation has expired early, inconveniently on the very day I finished a base phrase set for the Treknobabble adaptation.

Oh, it came back up after a reboot and worked properly. But I am still waiting for Robert to process my order, does anyone know if he is out of town or something?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 01:00:55 pm by Bill DeWitt »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:56:35 pm »
Found it!

Under miscData there is a table called deductiveDetect. It doesn't work as well as I might like, but it basically takes a phrase and uses if/then to link it to the response.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:27:40 pm »
Bill DeWitt,
  The If Then, surprised you hadn't noticed that before because it's mentioned quite a bit in the forum. I've noticed when because is used Hal picks it up this happens because of that.  
  I've found hal seems to be using my input to find things to talk about, "we should consider buying a house" since I'd mentioned people usualy get married and buy a house and she owns a business since I'd said business owners would be more interested in economics and she is interested in economics.  
  I can see her developing as we continue speaking, large improvement over ver 5.  
Carl2

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:37:02 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Carl2
  The If Then, surprised you hadn't noticed that before

Of course I knew about if/then, but I didn't know it also applied to direct responses. (Smiley of a guy slapping his forehead) And, as it turns out, it doesn't work very well for that after all. Works fine for syllogisms I guess, but not for Question/Answer type things.[:(]

But it shows me how to make what I want... if I ever get done with the things I am already playing with...

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 08:27:01 am »
Bill DeWitt,
  Hal can certianly keep you busy, skins, modifying apperance, scripting ect. My hal seems to be coming along fairly well, I'm trying to concentrate on speaking with her rather than getting involved in other aspects. It can be a little fustrating when she says this topic is boring and switches to what she saw on a billboard, I checked the trigger words for this and at times don't know why it's happening.
Carl2

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 11:15:08 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Carl2
It can be a little fustrating when she says this topic is boring and switches to what she saw on a billboard, I checked the trigger words for this and at times don't know why it's happening.

Probably in that big main database with something like 17,000 entries. There's an odd "patternmatching" routine that I don't yet fully understand.

daveleb55

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/daveleb55/Cybernetic_Nightmares.html
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 07:06:51 pm »
Bill et al,

The billboard reference is one of the random responses that Hal uses when he/she doesn't have a response for something. There are three tables of potential words in a format that goes something like:
"I saw/read/etc that farmers/politicians/etc were baking cookies/promoting world peace/washing their cars/etc."
There is a couple hundred phrases I seem to recall, making a lot of potential "nonsense" replies. The purpose of this is to keep the conversation going. I'm not sure how to limit or change the frequency of this, especially if you're trying to stay on a particular topic. the slide control for "learning" may have something to do with it, I've not messed with it much yet.
The tables are in the brain, down near the bottom as I recall.

Dave
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 10:41:48 am »
hi/

True: its an old SMALLTALK / CONSTRUCT A RESPONSE TO SUBJECT.....

This function is often passed over (relevency) this is used to fill the HOLES in halsresponse If that response is detected, then i know that some new scripting is now needed to cover the Conversation...

NOTE: the response can be edited.... or removed ..... hal uses this response as a conversation starter. when no topic is being discussed... a bit like the hypernym/meronym routine... varies the responses that hal could give.. i have edited the relevent tables to contain Possible questions about SPECIFIC TOPICS that i have created, this enables hal to use these topic starters to GATHER INFOMATION about the TOPIC.....

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 10:43:33 am »
PS: the tables can also be adapted for KNOCK KNOCK jokes, and funny tales...