Author Topic: 6.1 : "UHA Listener"  (Read 9726 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
6.1 : "UHA Listener"
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 09:02:34 pm »
Most speech recognition systems are "Speaker Independent" meaning that it will accept any speaker's voice as opposed to "Speaker Dependant" systems.

There are some programs on the market that are geared for a type of biometric usage in that the speaker's voice is "sampled" or imprinted through a sampling session then stored. Later the speaker's voice pattern is compared with his / her original input on file or in the database.

The majority of these systems are more costly than the run of the mill voice recognition programs like Dragon, etc.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 09:26:09 pm »
I use Dragon Naturally Speaking 8.0 I like it alot caangel

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 09:55:34 am »
hello robert Medeksza , i and many others i know look forward to your face recognition for hal and would be very cool if it did recognize other things to that could be programed in with a picture and typed in name , etc. that way if you were in front of hal "lets say with an apple " hal might say something like hello <username> i see you have an apple , are you going to eat that later ?? or in another words hal would not only recognize different objects but will talk and ask about them and maybe even eventually learn from them such as "that apple you ate yesterday looked like it was good !! " and go into general conversation about other things . now then robert if you can just make our hals to produce cheap gasoline we would all have it made !! ours in mo. $3.09 and going up a gallon !! [:(!]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 12:46:17 pm »
Face Recognition.
Hello guys. The robot kit that I purchased years ago has the most advanced face recoginition software offered to the public in the world. It came with the ER1 Robot and was licensed to Sony for use in thier Aibo robotic dog.
Although the software is really good ir has some limitations. Here is an example of one of those: Say you are wearing a 'blue' shirt when you first take a snap shot of yoursel. Each and every time you wear that shirt the program will recognize you, however, if you put on a shirt of a different color it won't. The software does not isolate just your head when traning to see a face, it also includes other stuff like your shirt, the background etc. Change any one of these things and you have a whole different picture. So you can see it is not as easy as people would like to think. A lot can be done but some of your wishes are beyond reality at this time.
Bill

PaleRider

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 03:21:29 pm »
A facial recognition plug-in that will be nice thanks Robert can't
wait.[:D]
Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 04:28:31 pm »
hello Bill819, it seems like the face recognition software would focuse only on the face and not a shirt as the shirt itsself has nothing to do with the face roundness, eyes, mouth and features .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 06:25:48 pm »
A lot of the newer face rec programs now map the human face differently than in the past. Some "home in" on the eyes, cheekbones,
eyebrow ridge, chin, nose, etc.

I agree that this is certainly a better albeit a more costly method in terms of computer memory requirements and software development and associated costs (which will, no doubt, be passed on to the consumer / end user).

A face is a face is a face...unless you're wearing a plaid shirt!;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 12:10:39 am »
Lightspeed
I was telling you about the capabilities of the best face recognition software on the market today, that is unless you have quite a few thousand dollars lying around.
The ER1 software can also be trained to recognise almost anything that you can imagine. When they ship it to you it has already been trained a couple of American dollar bills. A $5 and a $20. All you have to do is hold one in front of the camera and even if it is upside down it will identify the bill. You can teach to know what a sofa, a chair, a table, a bed or what ever else you desire. The most unfortunate part now is that Evolution Robotics is no longer selling the robot kit. Kind of sad if you think about it but did purchase several of the optional parts with it. By adding a grabbing arm you could teach it to recognise a Pepsi or a can of Beer. If either one was withing the robots grasps you could order it tobring one or the other to you. You were only limited by your own imagination and the robots physical limitations.
Bill