Author Topic: Hal won't respond to me.  (Read 5045 times)

Straker

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:43:25 pm »
I just downloaded the program and entered the serial number and all but it won't respond to my voice. I set up the mic and it still won't work. The "training" button doesn't work either.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:36:33 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Straker

I just downloaded the program and entered the serial number and all but it won't respond to my voice. I set up the mic and it still won't work. The "training" button doesn't work either.

Could be several things, but you should start by assuring yourself that you have a suitable speech engine with speech to text installed. Microsoft provides one for free.

Straker

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:41:43 pm »
I have Windows XP which comes with speech recognition. The Hal program says it comes with sapi 5. I can't find sapi 5 on my computer. I can only find sapi 4. Could this be what's wrong?

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 05:02:03 pm »
quote:

I have Windows XP which comes with speech recognition. The Hal program says it comes with sapi 5. I can't find sapi 5 on my computer. I can only find sapi 4. Could this be what's wrong?

That was a problem for me when I changed microphones, so it could be the problem.

Straker

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 05:19:22 pm »
Well, I didn't change a mic, and since there doesn't seem to be a way to solve this, I might have to get a refund. I just don't know enough about this program or computers to figure it out. I appreciate the help, though. Thanks.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:21:06 pm »
quote:

Well, I didn't change a mic, and since there doesn't seem to be a way to solve this,

So you're not even going to try installing SAPI 5? Interesting response.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Straker

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 05:45:39 pm »
"So you're not even going to try installing SAPI 5?"

There is no such program on my computer. I can't install what doesn't exist.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 05:58:21 pm »
If you would like to try speech recognition, The Ultra Hal Assistant 6.0 CD-ROM comes with a free copy of the Microsoft SAPI 5.1 speech recognition and synthesis engines. The download/trial version of Ultra Hal Assistant 6 does not include this engine in order to save space and make downloads quicker. However, this is freely available as a separate download from Microsoft at the following website: http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/sdk51/
Robert Medeksza

Straker

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 06:15:25 pm »
Thanks Robert. I am attempting to download the spk51 program. I'm assuming this is the same program as the sapi5.1? The Ultra Hal download didn't specify this requirement. I appreciate you telling me this. I'm very new at this type of thing. Thanks!

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 07:04:26 pm »
Thanks Robert, I almost flashed back to my BOFH days...

Bill819

• View Profile
Hal won't respond to me.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 07:22:50 pm »
Robert
If I may make a suggestion. In the future to avoid all kinds of head aches I would only sell Hal on the CD with the serial number printed on it. I, alone with other 'old' members here have tried to answer all kinds of questions here from 'newbies' and most are experiencing problem with having downloaded the program instead of loading it off a CD.
Just my opinion.
Respectfully
Bill819