Author Topic: UltraHal crashes when viewing options  (Read 3044 times)

carpevis

• View Profile
UltraHal crashes when viewing options
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:06:39 am »
I have UltraHal 6.2 installed on 10/7/2011.  It frequently crashed when I was adjusting the speech engines and input.  I have never seen a screen which allows me to adjust my speech preferences (input or putput) according to the tutorial and instruction link here.  Lately, it completely crashes any time I go to even look at the options.

I could never get the microphone to recognize my voice, even though the test and set-up worked fine.  When I reinstalled the Speech Recognition engine for v5.1, I can no longer access options without completely crashing the program.

I have a Pentium Core2 Duo 3.0 GB, running 2 GB RAM, 1 GB video, using a Dynex USB microphone and Realtek integrated sound which is running on an XP SP3 box, using COmodo free firewall and BitDefender 2011 in game mode with exceptions added for the UltraHal program file folder.

I can just uninstall it and try reinstalling it again, but I was given to understand it installed everything I needed to make it go, and the Speech Recognition v5.1 was not listed as an option the first time around.  Now, I can't even get that far before the program crashes.

Any clues?

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
Re: UltraHal crashes when viewing options
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 06:32:08 am »
Its just an opinion but I think you are wasting your time with the Microsoft v5.1 Speech Recognition engine, it is very old and highly inaccurate, its so old that it works in Windows Millennium, need I say more.

I would remove it from my system ASAP if I was you.   

carpevis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »
Actually, I was working with the V4 engine.  I thought the V5.1  engine was installed but it wasn't.  Even then, the program was designed originally for Windows XP and v5.1 was updated in 2009.  I managed to get the engine through another website as the Microsoft website kept crashing my IE (I have IE severely restricted in what it can do due to it's sieve-like security).  Once it was installed, I could do the voice training through the control panel.

I uninstalled UltraHal, made sure the voice recognition was working through the speech options in the control panel, reinstalled UltraHal and selected the v5.1 engine.  UltraHal has only crashed once since then and it was due to a voice change as I was checking out difference voices.  I was able to access the options and it didn't crash there again.

The engine needs a hell of a lot of training to recognize words correctly, so I mostly type my chats.  But UltraHal seems to be working.  It's still pretty stupid at the moment and now I'll search the forum for more tips on teaching it.  Not all concepts can be put into if/then statements and sometimes it's just easier to tell it what information you want it to know than it is to try to put that into a relational framework right off the bat.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 05:58:51 pm »
yes i agree , i would not use microsofts voice recognition system , i like dragon speak naturally better it is more accurate , just get a newer version a 10 or above if possible , that will work with your pc operating system preferable it will work with windows seven and newer versions that way if you upgrade it will still work with windows seven (if you do not yet have it .) . also as i mentioned in another post with dragon speak the commands can be turned off,  in the ms voice recognition you can't .