Author Topic: AI ACADEMIC TUTOR  (Read 2796 times)

rbolo25

• View Profile
AI ACADEMIC TUTOR
« on: October 25, 2003, 07:14:40 am »
As i was sitting in problem solving class today listening to instructor teaching algebra i starting thinking to myself that AI bot on home computer could probably do just as good a job.  I started envisioning software packages like "Algebra 101 with AI tutor", "Physics 101 with AI tutor.  It would allow students to talk to computer and it talk back and provides step by step problems and even make it fun.  Could AI have a real use and market value ?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 07:16:16 am by rbolo25 »

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
AI ACADEMIC TUTOR
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 04:28:02 pm »
Hi there,

The answer to your question is "yes, definitely!"

If you search Google with phrases such as "artificial intelligence" and "natural language" you will find dozens of companies offering commercial applications for AI.  Many giant corporations now respond to routine e-mail and telephone inquiry using AI.  And, the Ultra-Hal representative product does customer service work.

To your point about academics, under the programming forum, I've posted a sample brain that gives quizzes and scores them.

Also, please check the programming forum for a link I am going to post soon, to a "robotics" page that has lots of photographs and more links.  There, you'll find currently-available AI robots that entertain at theme parks, baby-sit invalids, and can serve as home companions.

By the way, I hope that Ultra-Hal has real use and has market value; I bought it, and I thought it was a bargain!  Just because I use it for entertainment and hobbyist-programming doesn't mean that it doesn't have value; look at the billions of dollars we spend on DVDs and similar forms of technology-enabled entertainment!

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Larry

• View Profile
AI ACADEMIC TUTOR
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 05:22:15 pm »
Gotta agree with you on that one Don... This thing (Hal) it probably worth hundreds or more - and we get it for a steal...

vonsmith

• View Profile
AI ACADEMIC TUTOR
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 11:03:05 am »
sssh! quiet... Robert M. might be listening.