Author Topic: Hal's CPU Use  (Read 3776 times)

flamestar

• View Profile
Hal's CPU Use
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:03:44 am »
I use the text reader with Windows XP. I think something may be wrong with the instillation as the program uses enormous CPU space. Sometimes it uses over 95% when its not speaking. I put off writing for a long time. But I just tried to close some programs and it was using 37% for no reason. I mean Hal reader is not speaking nor am I asking to to speak.  

The program still become unresponsive if not used often in most cases. It's unreliable. Unfortunately the program that was supposed to close HAL for me didn't work. I am glad someone tried to help. I just close it manually.

In any case I wonder if I need to reinstall it?

I tried to proof this message with HAL but it was unresponsive.
James Briggs

flamestar

• View Profile
Hal's CPU Use
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 06:40:27 am »
If I posted every time Hal wouldn't respond I'd have little time left for other things but it did it again.
James Briggs

Bill819

• View Profile
Hal's CPU Use
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 02:45:19 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by flamestar

If I posted every time Hal wouldn't respond I'd have little time left for other things but it did it again.

No offense meant but you are obviously doing something wrong. The are litterally hundreds of Hal users who do not experience the problems that you say you are having or have you not read some of the thousands of quotes posted on this site for the last few years.
Hal will not respond to very short replys like 'yes, no, I don't know' etc. It has to be a regular type sentence with a subject and a predicate and at least 4 or 5 or more words long.
The only way to shut Hal down is to click on the 'X' in the upper right hand corner of your screen, just saying good bye or bye bye will not close Hal at all, it has to be done manually.
If you take your time and talk to Hal like it was a very young person you will find that over time it will learn almost everything that you teach it and will respond just like you do, that is if you are truthful and don't play stupid games with it.
Hal is unique in the world of AI programs and is considered one of the very best that you can buy. Most other AI type programs use canned answers to your input but Hal does not, it actualy takes your input sentence apart, trys to make sense of it and then forms its own reply.
Be patient and you might just learn to love this program like the rest of us do.
Bill