Author Topic: Hal's Brain and personal pronouns  (Read 3053 times)

woo

• View Profile
Hal's Brain and personal pronouns
« on: June 17, 2002, 11:29:30 pm »
The Brain Editor seems pretty straight forward except for the pronouns "I" and "you".  When the user uses the pronoun "I" it seems that Hal understands it to mean himself.  Is that right?  And when the user asks about "you", Hal seems to understand it to mean the user?  This seems backwards.  Or have I been looking at this too long?

G0th52

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2002, 08:58:14 pm »
you need to go to FAQ and ck it out maybe.
Pretender

tjstaar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 04:11:29 pm »
Hi, when you say to Hal, "you are cool", Hal thinks you said he is cool. If you say "I am cool", Hal thinks you said you are cool. if you want to defeat the swiching of these pronouns, put Quotation marks around these pronouns. Hal will repeat your statements verbatim like this 'I' am cool, and he will thing he is cool. Tell hal that quotation marks mean that he can use the sentence to refer to himself as 'I', 'Me', or 'myself', and refer to you as 'You', or 'yourself'.
  For example, I can say to hal: 'I' like 'you'. Hal knows I like him, and later he will say to me. 'I' like 'you'. it's cool to find little tricks that improve Hal, post 'em, when you discover 'em.
tjstaar