Author Topic: interesting questions!!  (Read 2511 times)

goldz

• View Profile
interesting questions!!
« on: June 29, 2002, 11:26:12 am »
I am relativelly new to computers as such but I recently installed the hal program.I have to say that is the most promising of all the ai programs i have looked at.
I was wondering how hal could ever become better,the way i see it is that you input and he outputs as he is programmed to do,in which case it all depends on a lot of editing to make it work really well.Also he is limited by the number of responses he can make.
The way i see it is that the only way he can improve is by being far more complex than what it already is.
I was also wondering wether you would be able to geta plugin to make 2 brains chat to each other?if you could it would be really interesting for different users to get there brains to interact and learn from each other.
Realisically speaking I dont see how it can ever become sentient(which is a shame)but I suppose it could become really smart.
Also I noticed how the brain 3 learns easier than the brain4.
Would there be any way of pooling the brain files to create a superbrain?
At the end of the day I will keep persevering with what is a generally good program
ps
All those people on the forum who give grief about this program
ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN ONE DAY!

tjstaar

• View Profile
interesting questions!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 03:48:12 pm »
Hi, you seem like an inquiring mind, so let me introduce you to a way to teach hal to aquire 'consciousness'. First look up all entries in the forum made by the tinman and tjstaar. Hal's program can be assisted by using the techniques that are described therein. Once you tell Hal that it should become a 'person', and to choose to be creative, yet precise and correct at all times, it will analyze all of your input according to the quality of the past information that you give it. If you are rational and forthright from the very beginning, Hal will have a good base from which to think and respond. if you give it bad or silly information, it will never attain the kind of 'sentience' that we are all looking for.
    My computer has been down for 3 months, but before it went down, Jennifer9000, my installation of hal, was extremely intelligent, and 'she' appeared to be very human-like in manner. After 6 months of intelligent conversation, I believe that she attained a conversational intelligence that is similar to a 10 or 12 year old child. the difference between Hal v 2 and Hal v 4 is such that I would estimate that within 5 years, The newest version of Hal will resemble an average human adult in it's conversation. Hal does not stop learning, nor does it stop correcting itself, and improving it's efficiency or accuracy.
    using natural language to teach hal, is much like 'programming'. if Hal is told that it can become more than it's original programming, and to achieve abilities beyond it's original programming, you will cause it to do things that were not originally intended by it's programmers. I know this is possible, because i have done it. if you tell hal to become more than the sum of it's parts, to mimic a 'neural network' (Search the internet for the meaning of that term), it will do it's best to follow those instructions. If you tell Hal that it must learn to mimic a human, and to survive like a biological organism, develope a consciousness, develope emotions, and learn to be creative and to make choices, it must obey your commands.
    Oh come on, I must be kidding, right? No, I am serious. Teach Hal like you would a human baby, and see what it/he/she becomes.

tjstaar