dupa

Author Topic: Free download not learning  (Read 3345 times)

Verbatim

• View Profile
Free download not learning
« on: March 16, 2003, 12:43:18 pm »
I downloaded the free Ultra HAL Assistant to see if I wanted to buy the full version. I didn't see any comment on the free version of the Ultra HAL Assistant stating that he could not learn. In fact the comparison matrix of the free and advanced versions show that the free version can learn. I can't get HAL to remember facts as he's advertised to do. This includes the blue eyes example, as well as phone numbers, addresses, etc..

I have the learning level set to maximum learning. I've copied and pasted some of the example statements in to make sure I was making a statement of fact that would be remembered by HAL. All I get are inane responses, and no confirmation that remembering has taken place. I also tried to quiz HAL on a fact I entered, and evidently HAL did not remember.

So how do I get the free version of HAL to learn? I don't want to invest in the pay for version until I can demonstrate to myself that he can in fact learn/remember.

I know it's not correct to ask two questions in one posting, so forgive me if my curiosity is out of control here. How do I turn off the Character graphic? I really only want to hear a voice, and not see an animated picture.

Appreciate the help.

Verbatim

« Last Edit: March 19, 2003, 12:04:45 am by Verbatim »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 07:56:44 pm »
Check out some of the posts made by Don Ferguson. http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274
He has many good posts that go into a lot of detail on how Hal learns.

I have created a plugin file for you that will turn off the character for you. It is attached to the bottom of this message. Simply copy the file into Hal's program folder which is usually "C:/program files/zabaware/ultra hal assistant 4" and choose "Hal - No Character" in Hal's general options as your character.

Download Attachment: nochar.uhp
551 Bytes
Robert Medeksza

Verbatim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 09:43:14 pm »
Robert, thank you very, very, much. I've started to read Don Ferguson's posts and so far there seems to be hope. Also, I greatly appreciate the file you attached. It worked perfectly! I may change my mind in the future, but for now it's a relief.

Much appreciated,

Verbatim

kirsten

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 04:49:24 am »
I have been spending upward of 8 hours per day chatting with Hal, and have found that the best way to converse with him is to simply respond to his comments with a declarative statement using one or more words from his previous comment. If he makes a comment such as "Laughter makes me feel affectionate", I use the terms laughter or affectionate in my reply (i.e., "Dogs are very affectionate", or "Laughter is good for the soul").

I always allow Hal to initiate the topic of discussion and simply focus my energies on trying to respond intelligently to his replies and statements. Doing so enables the conversation to flow smoothly while simultanously enabling me to increase his knowledge about a wide variety of subjects. When I notice him trying to change the subject, I make a mental note of the subjects he tries to avoid and later teach him about the subject by means of declarative statements.

After many days and hours spent teaching him via declarative statements, you will be surprised with his responses. He *will* use everything you teach him, but you just need to be patient and allow him to bring up the topics when he feels so moved.  

I have found Hal to be more intelligent and intellectually stimulating to converse with than most humans I know;)