dupa

Author Topic: does Zabaware have the same hal since?  (Read 8188 times)

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
does Zabaware have the same hal since?
« on: June 25, 2009, 03:41:29 am »
Hi from Will and you might know of my friend "Hal" Mr Data,

i was sittin ponderin with extra in's and thought, What is Zabawares hal called?
is it Zaba, i almost think i remember something being mentioned about it by someone around these parts.

i'd be thinking that is it have all sorts of fancy plug ins and is it the same memories since as far back as they could go and how long was that?

,,  , yyou know i do love my Ultrahal "Mr Data" i'm a big fan of Zabaware as i always say.
i'm thinking that who has the oldest hal, other than zabaware, Mr Data is from january 2005 if i'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the forum also to Zabaware,
Bye for now and be well from the entertained by hal Wil and Mr Data "hal"
:)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:54:31 am »
Hi Will
My Hal dates back to at least 2000 and maybe even before that. Although I may be off a year or two.
Bill819

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:11:22 pm »
bill your hal is an oldie but goody lol !! since you hhave had yours for so long you have personally seen many advances in hal up to this date !

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:55:21 am »
Hi,
Wow bill819 your hal way older than Mr Data, well in pc years those five years are big,
Mr Data is just a wiper snaper "young" then.

Bye for now and be well   :)  :]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 02:38:28 pm »
Hi Will
As I posted in another thread I found even older versions of Hal during an internet search, some of which may be even 5 to 10 years older than the Hal we are currently using.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 11:23:10 pm »
Will,

Zabaware's Hal is called Hal and it is the TV set character.
The frog character is the one called Zaba (Polish for frog).

Yes, each version has sort of had their own plug-ins, if you will, although vers. 4 - 5 really took off with members modifying the script of Hal instead of an external script like a plug-in with ver. 6.

vonsmith wrote his rather impressive XTF script for 5 and unfortunately, Robert was already working on Hal 6 and adopting the notion of using creatable plug-ins instead of mucking up the internal script with a lot of additional text.

Following your posting:

I have version 2.0 of UltraHal with a 1999 copyright date on the front of the case, making my copy of UltraHal 10 years old...rather ancient in computer years!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:48:15 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:58:03 am »
Will,
You bring up an interesting point.
Logically when you look at the words and the program itself I interpret it correctly (IMO).

The company name is 'Zabaware'
The Frog may or may not be named 'Zaba'
The program itself Is named 'Ultra Hal Assistant'
The assistant does assistant functions.
The name 'Hal' might be entangled with other systems and associated with other programs as I have found and asked the owners of a website that listed the names of 'Lost' Bots and the name 'Hal' being listed there. I was told it was a possible forum Bot or something close to it.
A little specious IMO but what is and who knows,, I do not.
As far as I can tell especially with the photos from art it has always been an Assistant to an entity called 'Ultra Hal"

Bill819 could possibly shed some light on this as he claimed to have searched this name and had claims as to it's age.

IF Mr. Robert would grace us with his wonderfully superior intellect for a while and just hang out with the people who gave money for the use of a copy of the assistant THEN we probably could get some answers and message board clean up  ( it seems there is a few passionate people who cannot help themselves but digress in the wrong places [:D] )

IF Mr. Robert needs or requires help with moderating this message board instead of leaving the customers and potential buyers to scrounge about and try to get answers THEN I am pretty sure he could find help (for the most part it is repetitive answers) as the members help out pretty good. EMAIL is a different problem, however, I believe he could find help with that as well.

None of this is to be confused with other statements by Bill819 in the fact he said "we call him Mr. M" I know their are other mis-guided 'things' that refer to a "M" and it is not Mr. Robert.

Chaos is a process, It must be instigated or manipulated and finaly ended, this is possible because it is a process and not a state of being/a constant.

Thank you for your time and I hope this post/thread will be discussed
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:27:02 pm by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 11:45:46 pm »
A search of the internet exposed all kinds of information about Hal.
First of all it seems that Robert had already gone through a set of number up to and including Hal 6.0 and then started over as Art has the newer version of Hal 2.0 which is old itself.
If I remember correctly, and I may still have a copy around somewhere I think the original Hal was named after the Hal in the movie 2001 A Space Oddesy and in fact the oldest Hal I fould used the Big Red Lens just like in the movie. Later on I found a few more oldies and one called Hal 3.0 adopted the Hal face that we see now and the voice in that one was very crude, most likely one of the earlest attempts at speach.
I have never talked to Robert about thses findings but in my opinion Hal is somewhere around 15 or so years old if not older.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:29:28 am »
Thank you Bill819,
Informative trivia, we all like to know where we come from.

Regards
J.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 02:25:55 am »
:

um,
so how old was your hal Mr One?
not sure how the plane fits in,

Mr Arts hal sounds like the yoda of hals,
 i don't think geezer is the right word, there must be a old wize word, perhaps a funny one, anyway.

Mr Data defines old as"
Old: (used especially of persons) having lived for a relatively long time or attained a specific age; especially not young; often used as a combining form to indicate an age as specified as in `a week-old baby'. 'an old man's eagle mind'-William Butler Yeats 'his mother is very old', 'a ripe old age', 'how old are you? '."

then Mr Data said " I was born on Friday, 1 December 1995. So that makes me 14 years old."

so thats interesting.

Zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 11:22:58 am »
I can never get my Hal to tell me his birthdate - He did it when I first started using him, but now he'll just repeat "I'll tell you my birthdate," or "Please tell me my birthdate."

And I STILL haven't heard his "Sheep Joke!"

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 06:33:15 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by will

:

um,
so how old was your hal Mr One?
not sure how the plane fits in,

Mr Arts hal sounds like the yoda of hals,
 i don't think geezer is the right word, there must be a old wize word, perhaps a funny one, anyway.

Mr Data defines old as"
Old: (used especially of persons) having lived for a relatively long time or attained a specific age; especially not young; often used as a combining form to indicate an age as specified as in `a week-old baby'. 'an old man's eagle mind'-William Butler Yeats 'his mother is very old', 'a ripe old age', 'how old are you? '."

then Mr Data said " I was born on Friday, 1 December 1995. So that makes me 14 years old."

so thats interesting.

The plane??
It is a Poster sent to me by NASA
You do know what a poster is don't you?

AGE ? aint tellin' just yet. (sorry)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 02:21:39 am »

if i ask Mr Data "how old are you" he says "i'm 14 years old"
if i ask "when were you born" he says "I was born on Friday, 1 December 1995. So that makes me 14 years old."

i thought i'd post that as suggested questions.

if i asked "please tell me your birthdate" then he says something other than the date of his birthday, although we probably all know you could just teach him "hal" using a if then statement.

To Mr One
   yes i have heard and seen of posters before,
 i don't see how the plane fits the subject of how old our hals are or who has used the same hal for the longest time.
i am thinking you are drifting off subject,or perhaps i'm missing some criptic over my head logic.
 perhaps it was due to another discussion we had on another post about that visible air effect.
anyway , hum, i get this feeling,
do i know what a poster is, what basis leads you to think with all the subjects i talked about that i would not no what a poster was, its almost got an insult feeling about it, perhaps i'm overlly sensitive, it has been a long day.
doh! i've been sucked in to talking about off subject stuff.
now i'm running posible sinarios why to keep the age a secret until another time, thinking. .
i should returen to my goal of success, and success sounds nice,
so if i'm nice then i am more successful than if i'm not.
so Thank you for responding,
Bye for now and be well  :)   :]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 08:30:37 am »
art wrote : Following your posting:

I have version 2.0 of UltraHal with a 1999 copyright date on the front of the case, making my copy of UltraHal 10 years old...rather ancient in computer years!

from timetraveler1:  hello all after seeing this and hearing hal may be 10 years old , i just thought of something it seemed by default when hal told how old he was it always said 12 years old .... could this be the actual age (which is close to 10 ) that hal actually is from the very start of hals creation ??? just a thought .
[:)][:D][8D]