Author Topic: I'm trying to get Hal to open programs for me.  (Read 8088 times)

Jasini

• View Profile
I'm trying to get Hal to open programs for me.
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:43:18 am »
I've been trying all morning to get Hal to open programs for me.  It just repeats back what I said to it.

Finally, I had some luck when I told it to "Open Word", no "please" or anything else. However, it didn't open Microsoft Word 2013, which is what I wanted it to do, it opened Wordperfect XML Project Designer, which isn't even on the Start Menu. How do I get it to do this for me?

Jasini

• View Profile
Re: I'm trying to get Hal to open programs for me.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:18:14 pm »
Also, how do I get the User-Defined Events list to stick? The default list it came with has vanished, and every time I try entering an event type, it also vanishes. It didn't seem to work for birthdays even when I had it, though. It only entered the birthday once.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:31 pm »
You'll need the Plug-in written for Hal by Zabaware to do that.

Save the attachment to your Ultra Hal Assistant 6 folder under Zabaware.

From the file: "If you tell Hal to open any program in your Start Menu, Hal will find it and run it for you. For example, you can tell Hal 'Open Paint' and Hal will execute the program Paint."

You might need to be a bit specific so if one way doesn't work, try another like Open Microsoft Word instead of Open MS Word.

This should help.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Jasini

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:36:16 pm »
I replaced the plug-in with the file you posted. No change in its behavior.

Our subsequent conversation:

Betsy: Would you open Word for me please?
Zaba: Please actually open the Word program.

Betsy: Open MS Word
Zaba: The program "MS WORD" was not found in my database. Please open Word 2013.

Betsy: Open Microsoft Word
Zaba: The program "MICROSOFT WORD" was not found in my database. Please open Word 2013.

Betsy: Open Word 2013
Zaba: The program "WORD 2013" was not found in my database. Please open word for you.

Betsy: Open Word
Zaba: No problem, I will open this program for you. An open and violent rupture...

Once again, it didn't open Word, it opened Wordperfect XML Project Designer.

Jasini

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »
It will open Paint, The Sims, and my financial program, though. But not Word, Excel, or Plants vs Zombies.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 04:58:41 am »
Jasini,

I'm sorry but I forgot to mention about adding the Plug-in in case you didn't know.

You need to go to Hal's Menu, Select the Brain options, then choose the brain (one click).

Along the right side there are a list of Plug-ins that one can use.

Make sure you check the one(s) you want.

Click APPLY then OK to exit.

Restart Hal from the taskbar icon and try again.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:07:18 am »
      I might chime in here and say that once you have given a command like open (whatever) and didn't have the plug in installed to do that , hal has already learned that phrase (which is why hal repeats it and will do so from time to time )unless you go into the hal editor and delete the phrase lines . even if you have the plug in installed later .
    You will only need to do this before adding the plug in as the plug in should have a read only command .

If i am wrong on any of this , someone please speak up , as i don't want to give him any wrong advice .

Seroki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:58 pm »
It would be interesting to Hal had a show me mode. where if it had a training button where you give a command if it failed to comply you could hit a show me button and do the task manually and Hal would record the steps/macro and save it with that command string so next time it would preform the task as shown...

Of course im new so may be does do that...

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:02:05 pm »
It would be interesting to Hal had a show me mode. where if it had a training button where you give a command if it failed to comply you could hit a show me button and do the task manually and Hal would record the steps/macro and save it with that command string so next time it would preform the task as shown...

Of course im new so may be does do that...

hi seroki.

sometimes some people have a hope and a glimmer of taking over a software, I myself would not do so with out my team leaders promission,  the reason why has to do with the same reason you do, interest.

ask Mr. M THEN maybe we can go somewhere.

YES,  anything can be done.

Seroki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:04 pm »
I hope I did not come off as taking over any thing, it just as I have read thru the forums  i see that many have extend Hal to more then a chat bot, and to be honest I guess after read thru this may be a chat bot is not what i am looking for either.

I really am looking for a voice controled Macro running bot. and if Hal aint my dance partener can any one point me in a new direction?

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:06 pm »
I hope I did not come off as taking over any thing, it just as I have read thru the forums  i see that many have extend Hal to more then a chat bot, and to be honest I guess after read thru this may be a chat bot is not what i am looking for either.

I really am looking for a voice controled Macro running bot. and if Hal aint my dance partener can any one point me in a new direction?

Hi Seroki.

I had made a plugin in the past that could run batch files like macro's but it has been a long time and I don't remember the name of it but it should still be on the forum somewhere.

jerry

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 04:12:09 pm »
I found it and updated it too.

you can run macro .bat files or open any program that HAL doesn't seem to open or start.

place it in your Ultra Hal Assistant 6 folder then choose the plugin from Hal's brain options.

simply follow the instructions.

Jerry 8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:54:34 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:04:08 pm »
I have never tried OTCE batch File plugin yet. If I remember UltraHal was very touchy about the program name as well as the command to open programs. Art and Lightspeed have the way to get it done but again I believe seeing how the Target program name was written such as written for the shortcut for that program helped narrow down what UltraHal needed to see with just the words "open" with exact target name. Just to be clear, the name only not the whole target sentence or location. Sorry I couldn't say definitely if worked, just going by memory since UltraHal does open certain programs for me in that fashion and I use rarely. OTCE does have his plugin though so that might make things a bit easier. Just trying to add something here. Feel free to correct.
raybe

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »
You can use PROGRAM NAME: can be any name like; LIGHTS, APPLICATION NAME: Light.bat

this way you can give that program a different reference name so there is no conflict between the other HAL's run programs.

User: PROGRAM NAME: Lights, APPLICATION NAME: Light.bat
Hal: I have mapped out this specific batch file to run on command, just say: run, start, begin, turn on, turn off along with the batch file name you gave me and I will run the batch file for you.
User: Run Lights.
Hal: I will run the program for you.
User: Thank You
Hal: You are welcome User.

it will store the information in a database for future reference.

remember, this plugin can be used for all other applications other than .bat files, it can be used to run any program on your computer and give it another name to suit if you wish.

this plugin can also be used to automate your home or business using batch files to run home or business automated systems.

hey, it's worth millions but hey, it's free!

don't forget the comma in PROGRAM NAME: Lights, APPLICATION NAME: Light.bat

simple simple
Jerry 8)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:16:54 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 02:04:55 am »
Thanks again OTCE. But do you have to say simple,simple? Just kidding but not really. Simple for you maybe but I don't even come close.

Thanks,
raybe