Author Topic: Linux Operating System  (Read 4546 times)

Another Jim

• View Profile
Linux Operating System
« on: August 23, 2006, 05:59:51 pm »
I wonder, I am looking at installing the Linux operating system on either a second drive or a second partition on my drive.....has anyone tried installing HAL on Linux......likely this is a silly question and Hal will only work on a Windows based platform.....but I was just curious.....

Take care all,

Jim B.
Northern Michigan

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Linux Operating System
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:42:28 pm »
Jim,

As far as I know Hal is a Windows only program however,
you might be able to use a Linux program called WINE,
which is basically a Windows Emulator, to some degree.

I don't know first hand if Hal will run under WINE but
it might be worth a shot.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my Linux box and if
I get the chance to try WINE with Hal, I'll keep you
posted.

Good Luck!

BTW,
Which Distro are you using?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Another Jim

• View Profile
Linux Operating System
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 09:09:09 pm »
Hi Art,

Thanks for the speedy response......actually I am still in the reading stage....tho I am really excited to try it out just want to do it wisely as I can.

As far as new operating systems go, I remember fondly an old OS made by Digital Research that I used to use at home when I had young kids in the house, teaching them the basics about the machine and at the same time making sure they could only look and not be able to alter anything, DR-DOS had passwords that allowed that even at the file level.  Now doing some early reading on Linux and realizing it's open source, my gosh I ponder what the possibilities are.......it's gotta be a lot more stable than the old '98 version I am limited to with no hope to get updated drivers any longer from MS.

If needed I'll keep the MS only programs on the windows drive and take a step out of the box and try out Linux.....on another drive or partition.

As I say, doing reading up on it as much as I can get time for, but it's incredibly exciting to read about the potential.......

Take good care and enjoy the rest of the week!

Jim B.
Northern Michigan

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Linux Operating System
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 05:09:08 am »
There are about 100 various distros available, each with it's own
nuances and features. Some are more oriented for business environments while others are geared toward the novice.

Linux does use a different notation to identify drives in your system drive0, drive1 instead of C: or D:, etc. and might take a bit of getting used to.

You can get a program to show how long your linux box has been running without a reboot and in some cases the results were amazing.

Open Source is a great concept and it does work. There are tons of great programs, games, utilities, etc. that can do practically everything that the Windows OS can do.

Linux appears to be very stable and automatically detects added hardware, network adapters, etc., without much intervention from the user.

Personally, I'd install Linux on a second hard drive as it can often be rather difficult to remove if you should decide that it's not for you.

Good luck with your attempts!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:11:05 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Prospector

• View Profile
Linux Operating System
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 01:25:44 pm »
It's also possible to get a bootable CD version of Linux for those who want to try it without losing their Windows setup. It's also handy to have if Windows becomes corrupted to the point of not being able to repair itself or the hard disk has damaged sectors as Linux is less fussy about the state of a disk and may still be able to read the contents allowing anything important to be backed up before reformatting.

Knoppix is one I've tried. Available here as a free .ISO download to burn to CD including OpenOffice and other stuff.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Carl2

• View Profile
Linux Operating System
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 06:16:50 pm »
Another Jim
  I purchased Suse 10.1, a set of 6 CD's from a company online for about 12 dollars, possibly the DVD version would have been better.
I was going to use Raid 0, unable to do that since raid drivers must be installed. I used the hard drives as regular hard drives and installed Suse, Suse can't find the modem. I tried another modem with the same problem.
  On the same computer I installed windows, a dual boot system. windows seems quicker and the modem installs automaticly. Also Windows has better drivers for the video card.
  Using the internet I see a lot of people with similar problems, can't detect hardware and getting drivers. I'm fairly certian Hal is a windows system, there is a MegaHal for linux on the internet, I've heard it's a basic bot.
Carl2

Another Jim

• View Profile
Linux Operating System
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:26:42 pm »
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the info......I am still interested in Linux but not going to expect a lot out of it for now....still trying to find out which version would best suit my interests....but I will be placing it on it's own hard drive and may even go so far as to pull out my windows based drive and make sure the other drive is the only thing 'findable' so to speak and make sure thing gets altered.  I am keenly interested in it, found a site where I can actually download what looks like a very stripped down operating system...and this old, old Gateway came with what they called a DVD CD-Rom but it needs codec's to work I'm sure.....so not sure if a Linux DVD would work.....found some books at a local book store that included the DVD.....but the current stuff needs more memory than I have and a faster processor, etc....so I'll likely invest in another hard drive and try downloading somethign just to get the flavor of the operating system.....gosh, if it doesn't load I'll install 98 onto it and have a second drive dedicated to caching windows again......

Thanks again for the insight and sorry for the trouble you must have gone through......wow!

Jim B
Northern Michigan

FuzzieDice

Linux Operating System
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 10:11:58 pm »
You may also want to try looking into Crossover Office. (Google for it as I forgot the link, unfortunately), or Microsoft's Virtual Machine. Both cost money though. I don't know if HAL will work in either though because HAL relies on speech drivers and usually Linux still can't (as far as I know) access hardware/sound drivers for Windows in any emulator available right now.

So I agree, it looks like HAL is Windows-only.