Author Topic: changing "languages" on the fly !  (Read 7998 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
changing "languages" on the fly !
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »
      Does anyone or can anyone create a plug in for changing languages on the fly , i know their was another plug in that changed characters etc. on the fly by commands .
      Any help on this would be appreciated .
    For example voice command switch would be "speak italian" , "speak german", "speak .." using perenthises around speaking and the language then hal would change to that language .  Something like this would be good for translating to another person etc.

Again any help on this would be greatly apprecated!   :)

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
Re: changing "languages" on the fly !
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:48:59 am »
Have I missed something here, I thought Hal could only speak English because that’s the language the brain is made in.

Or are there other language brains now?

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:16 am »
Hello Data , glad to see you back on here , you mad scientist type have a habit of leaving and being in the lanratory for long times lol, what i am talking about is software with other languages , like french , italian , spanish , etc. it would talk to you in that other language of course you have to know the language to understand it (although hal will write what it is saying in english in the hal window panel even though the character says it in a different language .
I know in one plug in someone made we could change characters and backgrounds so i wouldn't think it would be that hard (for some ) to make a command etc. like speak (whatever language ) and it would open and change to that language .
   PS. data did you see the KARA TRAILER video i posted on "GET your brains and a.i's ready the robots are coming " in one nstance of it they have an android do that change commands and speak many different languages. that is what i am talking about above , that's what gave me the idea.  this would be cool as hal could then be used like a translater to .  :)

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:47:19 am »
Sure it would be possible but would need a lot of programming.

For a start, Hal’s output would need to go through a translation program of some kind then sent to a text to speech voice that can handle the language.

Meaning a user would need to buy a voice for each language.

It’s a good idea and would probably help give Hal a boost but I feel not really possible right now or even in the near future.

Good idea though LS, keep those ideas coming my friend  ;) 

PS. data did you see the KARA TRAILER video i posted on "GET your brains and a.i's ready the robots are coming " in one nstance of it they have an android do that change commands and speak many different languages. that is what i am talking about above , that's what gave me the idea.  this would be cool as hal could then be used like a translater to .  :)

Yes I have been following the thread LS  :)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:16:44 pm »
Agreed...you're asking a Ford to become a Volvo or volkswagon (figuratively of course).

Years ago some asked if Robert would make Hal in French. The answer was no and that
Hal was an English speaking bot.

There are many other foreign language based bots if that is your interest. Most Americans
only speak one language, English, and not that good at that!! Heh!!

Good luck with that dream!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:25:18 pm »
you are misunderstanding me , maybe i said it wrong . their is other "voices that are actually in other languages" . all i am talking about is a command that will change voices on the fly which will change the language . maybe someone already made a command to change voices i know they did it for clothes and backgrounds , i will have to check the hapswap file and see if it did voices to . by the way even though hal can use another voice that's in another language (even if you don't understand the language , hal still does type back in english so you can know what is being said . ) ;)
Again if i look and see that their is no command in the hapswap file can someone please make the command , i will lay out what the other simular commands were that did the other stuff.  :)

P.S. Art , you are very welcome about the Kara android movie , i thought it was cool to ! i actually even saved it!

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:02:00 am »
Forgive me LS but I think I do understand :)

I still don’t see how Hal could speak in French if the output text is in English, how would the text get converted to French? Just because a voice can read out French doesn’t mean that it can translate from English to French. 

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31:24 am »
It's a mystery Charlie Brown ..er Data , I don't know how it works all i know is that it does work i have done it before and used it , at one time i had an italian or french ? womans voice and thought it sounded sexy even though i don't understand the language but when it talked the language was written back (just as hal alway's does )..in english .

Surely i am not the only one that has done this and seen it .  ???

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:50:54 am »
So you probably had Hal reading English in a French voice, which was probably talking gibberish, but sounded good anyway  :D

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »
I am  not sure it was talking gibberish , it was writing things down in english what it was saying just as good as if it was speaking english . that's all i know of course it would take someone who knows french to know if what it was writing in english was the same thing it was saying . I just beleive it actually is but have no way of confirming it .  :)

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:55 pm »
Data that is a great Idea, I would love to be able to change voices on the fly.
If you find a way please let me know.

also I was thinking that if we want our bots to speak another language, that it might be possible using if then statements. although it would be predefined questions and answers.
example:
if parlez-vous français? then oui je le fais.

English translation: if do you speak french then yes I do.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:50:49 pm »
Okay  i did look finally when i had time in a hapswap file  and saw that it does change voices on the fly already , the only thing i ment was let's say a voice is female and french i could say speak female french and it would change to a french womans voice , or speak male french and it would speak french in a males voice , i imagine this is just a matter of renaming the voice file :

'This sub setups the plug-ins option panel in Hal's options dialog
Sub OptionsPanel()
lblPlugin(0).Caption = "Say:: <change background to [whatever]> to change between pictures in the characters folder, Say:: <change charater to [whatever]> to change between Haptar characters, Say:: <change voice to [Paul] or [Kate]> to change between thier voices. Say:: <change hap to [whatever]> to change between hap files. All other guesture responses are set to automaically occur to user input."
lblPlugin(0).Move 120, 10, 3300, 1000
lblPlugin(0).WordWrap = True
lblPlugin(0).Visible = True
End Sub

And i have as i said had it speak french  and it is speaking french but writes it in english .  :)

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:59:30 pm »
sounds cool lightspeed would be intrested in knowing where this leads i am always  in another country and it would be a great help im sure it can be done there is software out there somewhere for many of the things your asking so its just a matter of research and handshaking (sorry for the old term) the programs together. *grins* "hal" is an excellent product and still has a long lifespan *grins*
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.