dupa

Author Topic: Charging to upgrade?  (Read 8207 times)

Sociogod

• View Profile
Charging to upgrade?
« on: August 15, 2001, 03:41:22 pm »
I don't understand why I have to pay to upgrade to Ultra Hal 4 when I already paid $35 for 3.0. I don't even feel it was worth paying for. What's been changed with the new version? What is my incentive to waste more money on this already failing product? I've had so many problems with this program. One error after another. But, I guess they've already gotten my $35 out of me so I'm screwed in that sense. But there is NO WAY I'm gonna be fooled into paying the $18 for 4.0 when it's probably no better than 3.0.
For me to spend more, this product would have to improve about 300%.

artstone

• View Profile
Charging to upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 09:56:23 pm »
Well, you Don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Personally, I've been a user of Ultra Hal Assistant for many years. The program is just that...a program...and a pretty clever one at that.  The upgrade is available at a very reasonable price considering the fact that it's like getting a new Version for half price.
The improvements are listed on the main site if one would take the time to read them.
I have never had any problems with the program to speak of. One or two were my fault. The company has showed me professionalism, courtesy and speed of delivery as well as great support for a product that costs less than a moderate dinner for two.
Then again, perhaps some people expect too much from a program. It has come a long way and keeps getting better.

If you're that dissatisfied then don't upgrade and continue to use ver.3.0 but please don't go trashing the company or it's program.  Perhaps you could learn to program and show the rest of the world what your program can do. I'd like to see that.

I an not affiliated with Zabaware or it's agents in any way...just MHO.

Regards,
artstone

Sociogod

• View Profile
Charging to upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2001, 10:43:51 pm »
You see, you're right. I don't have to do anything I don't want to...but I can do anything I WANT to and that includes trashing the company and its program. The thing is, I didn't trash the company at all, just its program. Also, if I had high expectations for this product, it's because the website put them there. I'm glad you've enjoyed this product for years, Mr. Censor. I'm happy for you, and I respect your opinion. I paid money that is non-refundable for this product and I feel I have a right to b#@ch about it all I want. As far as programming goes, thank you very much for the invitation, but I have better things to do. It seems strange to me that people think that, because they have the ability to create a program on a computer (or re-create one as the case may be), that qualifies as some sort of intelligence. Not true, my smug friend. I'm done. I'v spent more time responding to you than I feel you deserve.

artstone

• View Profile
Charging to upgrade?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2001, 07:05:05 pm »
Sorry to have hit a nerve. There are many companies and programmers that have been, ever since the first Eliza program was written many years ago, attempting to write a program that would mimic human intelligence.  You can go to a site called www.botspot.com in case you've never been there and view lots of programs of this type.  In fact there is a Loebner Competition that offers a large sum of money for any "intelligent" program that can fool a panel of judges.
While Ultra Hal Assistant may not be the strongest program of this type, it certainly is ahead of a lot of others.
What exactly did you expect the program to do? Where are your problem areas with the program? Have you contacted anyone from Zabaware about your concerns?

I apologize if I came across too defensively, but I know the hundreds of hours of programming and debugging and hard work that goes into a program of this kind only to have someone appear to slam it. Been there...done that!

Granted, we've all fallen short in either a deal, purchase or product in the past, and there have been times that I didn't think a program was worth the price, but I suppose it goes back to the old "Let the buyer beware" thing. I've
really had no problems with Hal or Zabaware's technical support. They're good people!

I hope you will not lose interest in this type of program.  There will be more intelligent types of programs in everything around us soon...from cars, refridgerators, cell phones, PDA's etc.  I also hope you find a program that does what you expect of / from it.

Regards,
artstone

Sociogod

• View Profile
Charging to upgrade?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2001, 09:47:11 pm »
Thanks for the link, I'll have to check that out. Not sure if I've been there, I've been to so many bot sites they sort of all meld together in my mind.  I'm trying to figure out how to put ALICE on my desktop. But, as I mentioned, I don't have time to sit and learn how to do programming. Maybe when I start my new job I'll have time...that would be nice. The tech support at Zabaware has been great. One of my problems are with the enhanced brain. It doesn't start programs. But Matthew the customer service guy told me that it's a problem that's being worked on. So, that's good. I have a question...how long does it take for Hal to learn to speak intelligently and not like a retard? She pretty much just throws out odd little statements that make no sense. It's irritating. I've tried to talk to her as much as possible everyday for the last two weeks and still, nothing. Actually, I originally downloaded the free version and he started speaking intelligently and actually holding a REAL conversation the second night...I was so impressed, I registered and bought the full version. Downloaded it and it was so much worse. I don't get it. And then...I find out you have to pay for the new version when I could have sworn I read that updates are free. Also, what happened to the plugin page? There's no new characters to download. So, there it is. My frustrations. Fully displayed for all to see. Grrrrr...
OH! So that the tensions between us aren't smoothed over, you're a jerk and I hate you! (joke)

V34

• View Profile
    • http://www.48lanes.com
Charging to upgrade?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2001, 08:47:58 am »
well it was good to know the enhanced chat brian doesent start programs i am fixing to install the upgraded version this morning. and i really need for it to start programs.   even run bat.files or  scripts.

V34        I really have DSL   not a V34 modem.

Joel

• View Profile
Charging to upgrade?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2001, 01:16:58 am »
Well, I have to agree with Sociogod. I have had exactly the same experiences. The downloaded version was the best. But I bought the upgrade. So, 35 + 15 = 50.
And for some of us, that is a heck of a lot of money. I know that that is hard for most people to believe, but fifty dollars is a heck of a lot of money for me to spend on a weeks supply of groceries for the two of us. So.........

The troubleshooting page could have answers to the very problems being discussed in the forums, not only the ones that are there. There are problems besides sound cards. And oh, how does one now "teach" Hal from written  txt files like the old version. No mention. Well, had my say. Thanks.

PeeJay

• View Profile
Charging to upgrade?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2001, 01:56:48 pm »
I have found it is easier to communicate with Hal if I speak or type in complete sentences.  Hal is here to learn from me as he is merely a reflection of my communication abilities.  The better able I am in paraphrasing a response or question to Hal, the better the response from Hal.  He learns from my input.