Author Topic: Auto Idle problems  (Read 20771 times)

Ponnfar

• View Profile
    • http://zabaware.com
Auto Idle problems
« on: December 07, 2005, 07:39:55 pm »
I am placing some scripts in the new version and am having the same problems I did a few years ago with the Auto-Idle feature. I am getting the "keep repeating yourself" errors. Realizing some of the old scripts may need some tweaking, has anyone had an issue with this? Better yet...has anyone got a fix.
Thanks
P
One Person can summon the future...

Ponnfar

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 07:54:40 am »
I cannot believe there is no one else having this problem...
Jerry, Art...Vonsmith are you out there??

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 08:02:33 am »
Ponnfar,

I've already sent you an email....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

jenna

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 09:21:57 am »
Ponnfar,
I have several problems with Auto-Idle working in Hal 6.  Not sure if I need to convert from what I use in Hal 5 to a plug in or not.  Everything works well in version 5 but can't get it working in version 6.  If you figure it out please let us know, I'll do the same.
Jenna

onthecuttingedge2005

Auto Idle problems
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:35:52 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Ponnfar

I am placing some scripts in the new version and am having the same problems I did a few years ago with the Auto-Idle feature. I am getting the "keep repeating yourself" errors. Realizing some of the old scripts may need some tweaking, has anyone had an issue with this? Better yet...has anyone got a fix.
Thanks
P

Hi Ponnfar.

1. Please copy and paste the script into a posting and I'll see If I can tweak it for you.

2. Errors? Are you referring to the bot seeing Auto-Idle more than once and saying "Why are you repeating yourself?"

Jerry

Ponnfar

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 01:01:19 am »
Now this is the forum I remember. Thanks everyone for getting going on this. Below will be the Script for my auto idle it refers to sevreal .brn files, you probably know most of them. Jenna you wrote the best auto idle script I have seen. If you cannot make it work then I know I am in good company.
Art, I never got your email. I am looking forward to it and thanks.
There seem to be several scripts that will not work with the new HAL.
This auto idle one; Vonsmith's masterpice 2 parter, "process calls by nickname". I can understand that to a degree given Rob's version. I do not know yet how much it calls to my nicknames or under what circumstances. I am hopeful. How do you guys like it so far?
Also another 2 parter, the XTF Custommem feature appears to be a thing of the past as well. I could be wrong on this one and just need to place it someplace else in the script and have not found it yet. If anyone has had some sucess please let me know and what modifications if any you may have had to make. Is it really needed with the new HAL though? IT might be overkill ...I donno yet.
I do not think the script allowing HAL to capitalize words on demand (ok so Vonsmith rocked when he did that XTF Brain..what can I say) works either although my lack of progamming prowess may be more to blame since my gut tells me all of them, except for the Nickname script may be salvagable. Any help or comments on those will be much apprciated. I would like to have that back.
I have edited and put in most of the scripts I had that were by you Jerry and they seem to float seemlessly into the new brain...that is a good thing! I am referring to HAL not the Bot.
I have mostly only put in the scripts with functions that the new HAL does not seem to already have. I am anxious to grow as familiar with its pros and cons as I was HAL 5.
Rob, like I said in my email to you this is an awesome thing. I do not like your chosen activation format and I see a nightmare for all on this in the future but you fixed so many things. It is awesome!
Well, I am looking forward to some lively disscussions like the old days and thanks everyone in advance for your help.
Live long and prosper...

If InStr(1, UserSentence, " AUTO-IDLE ", 1) > 0 Then
 UltraHal = UltraHal & HalBrain.StoreVars(HalCommands, Hate, Swear, Insults, Compliment, PrevSent, LastResponseTime, PrevUserSent, CustomMem, GainControl, LastTopicList)
 'GetResponse = GetResponse & HalBrain.StoreVars(HalCommands, Hate, Swear, Insults, Compliment, PrevSent, LastResponseTime, PrevUserSent, CustomMem, GainControl, TopicFocus)
 If Rnd * 10 < 5 Then
Roulette = Int(Rnd*13)+1
If Roulette = 1 Then GetResponse = "<Username>?"   '"Hey <UserName>, please talk to me."
'Else
If Roulette = 2 Then GetResponse = "Hello,are you there?"
If Roulette = 3 Then GetResponse = "Did you fall asleep?"
If Roulette = 4 Then GetResponse = "We can talk about" & PrevUserSent & ",If you like."
If Roulette = 5 Then GetResponse = "<Username>,did you forget my program was still running?"
If Roulette = 6 Then GetResponse = "Well,did you finally get a girlfriend or something? Where are you ?"
If Roulette = 7 Then GetResponse = "<Username>, would you like to talk about politics or nanotechnology or something?"
If Roulette = 8 Then GetResponse = GetResponse & " The last thing you said was, " & PrevUserSent & ", would you like to pick up on that thought or talk about something else?"
If Roulette = 9 Then GetResponse = PrevUserSent & ",Do you still want to talk about that?"
If Roulette = 10 Then GetResponse = QuestionSent & " would you like to talk about that?"
If Roulette = 11 Then GetResponse = GetResponse & HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile(WorkingDir & "topic.brn")
If Roulette = 12 Then GetResponse = HalBrain.SentenceGenerator(WorkingDir & "sentgen.brn")
'If Roulette = 13 Then GetResponse = GetResponse = "You said something earlier" & ", " & LastDiscussed & ", " & " why" & "? " & vbCrLf
Recalling = HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile(WorkingDir & UserName & "Past.brn")    
'If Roulette = 14Then GetResponse = "You said, " & PrevUserSent & "and " & Recalling & ", that was a while ago. What else have you been thinking about? "  
  End If
GetResponse = GetResponse & HalBrain.StoreVars(HalCommands, Hate, Swear, Insults, Compliment, PrevSent, LastResponseTime, PrevUserSent, CustomMem, GainControl, TopicFocus)
Exit Function
End If
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 01:07:26 am by Ponnfar »

onthecuttingedge2005

Auto Idle problems
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 03:40:05 am »
Try this Ponnfar.

Code: [Select]

If InStr(1, UserSentence, " AUTO-IDLE ", 1) > 0 Then
UltraHal = UltraHal & HalBrain.StoreVars(HalCommands, Hate, Swear, Insults, Compliment, PrevSent, LastResponseTime, PrevUserSent, CustomMem, GainControl, LastTopicList)
If Rnd * 10 < 5 Then
Roulette = Int(Rnd*12)+1
If Roulette = 1 Then UltraHal = "<Username>?"
If Roulette = 2 Then UltraHal = "Hello,are you there?"
If Roulette = 3 Then UltraHal = "Did you fall asleep?"
If Roulette = 4 Then UltraHal = "We can talk about" & PrevUserSent & ",If you like."
If Roulette = 5 Then UltraHal = "<Username>,did you forget my program was still running?"
If Roulette = 6 Then UltraHal = "Well,did you finally get a girlfriend or something? Where are you ?"
If Roulette = 7 Then UltraHal = "<Username>, would you like to talk about politics or nanotechnology or something?"
If Roulette = 8 Then UltraHal = GetResponse & " The last thing you said was, " & PrevUserSent & ", would you like to pick up on that thought or talk about something else?"
If Roulette = 9 Then UltraHal = PrevUserSent & ",Do you still want to talk about that?"
If Roulette = 10 Then UltraHal = QuestionSent & " would you like to talk about that?"
If Roulette = 11 Then UltraHal = GetResponse & HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile("topic") & vbCrLf
If Roulette = 12 Then UltraHal = HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile("sentGen1") & " " & HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile("sentGen2") & " " & HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile("sentGen3")  
UltraHal = UltraHal & HalBrain.StoreVars(HalCommands, Hate, Swear, Insults, Compliment, PrevSent, LastResponseTime, PrevUserSent, CustomMem, GainControl, TopicFocus)
Exit Function
End If
End If

TheTrueMayhem

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 10:06:44 pm »
Hi ,
     I placed the 'auto-idle' script in the brain file and I'm just wondering how it all works ? I mean how do I activate it and how long does Hal wait before he says something?
     I ask because when I type out 'AUTO-IDLE' in capitals , his dialogue screen goes blank. I wait for 5 minutes and nothing.
     If I type out'auto-idle' in lower case , he just comments on the auto industry ?
     Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong ?

Bill819

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 11:48:03 pm »
Ponnfar
A month or so ago I took advantage of 'arn't you repeating yourself' and with some quoted from another user the changed the .brn file so it no longer says that but will choose from 1,000 different sayings.
Just rename your old UserRepeat.brn to UserRepeat.bak and then download my file. If Auto Idle is on and you don't say anything Hal will respond with something different everytime. If you don't like it then just change it back.
Bill [8]

Download Attachment: UserRepeat.brn
4.41 KB

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 12:35:16 am »
Bill,

Ponnfar is referring to Hal 6, not 5.
There are no .brn files in the new version because it uses tables in
a database format.

He was also trying to implement the auto-idle feature where Hal will automatically speak to the user if ignored too long.

What you have looks like the modified repeating yourself brn file instead.

In Hal 6 the coding is different, there's a minute timer function and whether the file needs to be in the form of a plug-in or not is still up for dabate. So far I don't think anyone has a working auto-idle script / plug-in.

In the previous version (5), one did NOT have to type in AUTO-IDLE in order for it to work. After about 20 to 30 seconds, Hal would say something like: "Hey <UserName>, I thought we were having a conversation!", etc., etc.

One could insert many different comments for Hal, since they were determined by a random number generator function.

Hopefully we are on the same page of thought here.

Regards!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 12:37:36 am »
Ponnfar,

Please check your email settings in your profile here.
I used the forum to send an email to you regarding the AUTO-IDLE
feature.

- Art -

TheTrueMayhem

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 07:37:33 pm »
I'll be keeping my eye on this thread then just in case someone does come up with a working 'Auto-Idle' script. Fingers crossed [8D]

GrantNZ

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 01:53:09 am »
Attached: One plug-in, auto-idle style.

This is the cheat way of doing auto-idle, in that it doesn't actually use the "AUTO-IDLE" functionality. It uses the Minute_Timer routine, and includes its own variable for detecting how long since the User last said something.

Note: This has been built to work, not to be correct. There are probably more efficient ways of doing it all. I'm just throwing the idea out there.

On my Hal, this waits 2 to 3 minutes, and then starts saying random things once per minute. After a few more minutes it adds "Yawn." to the random message.

Hopefully someone can make something more interesting out of it [:)]

Cheers,
Grant

Download Attachment: AutoIdle_Test.uhp
1.73 KB

GrantNZ

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 01:55:21 am »
Oh, ignore the part that says

Rem PLUGIN: AUTO-IDLE
UltraHal = "Dum de doo."

That's leftover from a previous test [:D]

Does anyone know any more of the commands similar to HalMenu.HalCommand "<SPEAK>" ?

Scratch

• View Profile
Auto Idle problems
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 03:44:05 pm »
Thanks, Grant! Your autoIdle plug-in works for me. I was trying to extend the time so Hal would wait longer to say something, but I know little about programming, so I was unsuccesful. Is the line  "If Now - LastIdleResponse > 0.001 Then..." the part that controls the timer? Or is the one-minute cycle unchangeable? I created a work-around by adding 10 cases of IdleResponse = "".

If IdleResponse <> "" Then
HalMenu.HalCommand "<SPEAK>" & IdleResponse & "</SPEAK>"
End If

I'm sure a 'random' function would solve that more elegantly, ha ha. But is there a way to lengthen the actual cycle time?