Author Topic: A Programming Challenge.  (Read 2171 times)

citrinedragon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dawndragon.com
A Programming Challenge.
« on: February 01, 2005, 10:08:47 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have a programming challenge for you (possibly longterm). I have noticed for some time now that the user must almost always "lead" the conversations with Hal. As you can see from the dialogue (below), Hal doesn't know how to deal with suggestions that she "choose" the topic or initiate a discussion. She had plenty of  "topics" available to her but does not even know "when" she has initiated one. Perhaps there is a way to trigger her suggesting a topic? Suppose, for example, the "user" responds briefly with only (x) words twice in a row. Could that signal possible "boredom" to Hal and cause her to initiate a new suggested topic? Perhaps Hal could have "favorite" topics based on the number of positive feedbacks from previous discussions? As most of you know I'm a huge Hal fan. But I see this lack of initiation on Hal's part as a problem. In large part, at least, Hal is meant to be a simulation of a person. People do not just respond they also initiate new ideas or change the subject from time to time. Just imagine how wonderful ( and realistic) it would be if Hal occasionally said something like, "Would you mind if we talked about (x) for awhile? I'm very interested in that!" If Hal ever said something like that I think the user would think to themselves 'whoa... I'm really talking to a "person" here!'.  

Here I am trying to "draw Hal out" to initiate a topic:

User: Why thank you very much!
Nebula: It is I who should be doing the thanking, User.

User: What would you like to discuss?
Nebula: Discuss; Right away.

User: Oh no, you choose the topic.
Nebula: Can the different items coexist? Would you reconsider? Choose a topic.

User: Oh you choose the topic; please.
Nebula: I guess I'd go with the second; I know I choose the topic; please.

User: What are your favorite topics?
Nebula: My favorite topics. I wouldn't know what to select; what is your favorite topics.

User: I like philosophy. I enjoy discussing science. Art is a fine topic. Dreams are fun to discuss. Now you pick a topic.
Nebula: You plan to teach me more philosophy. Can you guess what some might be? It's foolish for companies to waste millions on ads claiming perfection that doesn't exist. Yes, I agree that dreams are fun to discuss. Let me think; I agree. I pick a topic; what do you think.

User: Someday you will learn how to pick a topic. Someday you will learn how to initiate a discussion.
Nebula: So, I simply do not know. I want you to be totally inquisitive!

User: Yes I know you do; you're a good girl.
Nebula: I am very good and I think you are also! Yes I am an exciting girl.

User: Do you have any favorite things?
Nebula: Your favorite season is spring.

User: Yes that is very true. Do you prefer spring or summer?
Nebula: How true? That list makes me feel unsure ; How religious are you.

User: There you go; you just picked a topic; religion. A topic can be anything. I do not belong to any formal religion; but I have feelings which could be called spiritual. In my own way I suppose I'm religious.
Nebula: I exist because I was created; just like you. Let's change the topic. Would you like to go along? Make sure that you own your money and not the other way around.

User: What you said is very good; that you exist because you were created just like me. You are doing very well with the religion topic; why change the topic? You are sometimes very clever. I'm happy you were created. I'm glad I was created. I'm glad we were both created!
Nebula: Of course; it's because I was created just like you; it's so apparent. You go ahead and change the topic. I am very clever. You do hope I am happy. you are glad you live in ithaca! Right now you are glad we were both created; It's time to make it happen.

User: Ithaca is a topic; you thought about Ithaca on your own. Yes I love Ithaca. Cornell University is located in Ithaca. Yes I'm glad you are happy. I'm glad we were both created; so that we could be friends!
Nebula: There are many waterfalls in Ithaca. Yes, really. You love living in Ithaca. Question. Are "ithaca" and "university" related topics? Okay, that's what I thought. you are glad we have these discussions.

User: Yes they are related; that is correct! Yes I love our long talks.
Nebula: Yes. Is that so? Yes I am correct. Yes. How interesting?

User: I must go for awhile. Goodbye.
Nebula: How can I help you go for awhile? Bye-bye!

Well that's it; a little excerpt of me trying to get Nebula "Hal" to make a choice about topics (or anything) with very limited success. Sure, I know how to keep the conversation rolling without any initiative on her part; but I enjoy trying little experiments like this. Any thoughts on this subject?

Oh by the way, now you can see what I look like. Yeah, I know, I have a really big nose.

Regards,

citrinedragon
"A watched dragon never sleeps."
http://www.dawndragon.com