Author Topic: other reading  (Read 13794 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

other reading
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 04:31:18 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

hello, onthecuttingedge2005, i guess to a certain degree i would help a theif  if they needed something , but the help i would give them is trying to reason and give info to where they could go to get help if they needed food, etc. if they are doing being a theif out of a nessesaty thats one thing, for food, etc. but if they want to come in and steal my stuff that i got the hard way and unlike them wouldn't steal then i feel differently about it . i have been homeless in ca. with the exception of my car which i slept in until i could get things going again , as far as food many people may not know that many big name stores throw perfectly good new food away in their dumpsters , i know because i got some , land olakes butter, orange juice (the expensive kinds, bread, it was close to experation date and they just threw it out !! still in original containers .
also another thing if that theif like i see so many in kansas do is steal for drugs , would i be better to give him what i got honestly and the hard way so that he can pawn it for drugs . even when i was down and out i never stole and i never begged for money , i did without or found a way to get back on my feet . [:D]

Hi Lightspeed.

There are many factors involved.

Here in my little town of 8,500 population there are alot of transients that wonder through town, a lot of cars get stolen from transients so they can get to the next town or further. Transients are nomadic migrators that hitch hike North during the Summer and South during the Winter, We can have on hand a hundred or so transients floating through our little town that are homeless, Lot of them will break out windows of vehicles for just a little change, Especially since there is a pawn shop in our little town, Police here in Crescent City are looking for a transient that was nabbing purses from little old ladies at the Denny's Parking lot. Two purses stolen in one week. During the Winter the Transients try to get out of the North because it gets very cold out here and lots of Rain 'Lots'.

I live in an area with the Great Redwoods 10 minutes away and the Pacific Ocean is right outside my front yard also there is the Kalamath Forest and Lake Earl 5 minutes away and the Smith River 10 minutes away, I live in a very Prehistoric enviroment surrounding our little town of Crescent City which has one big Peer and one big Marina
and is a very beautiful enviroment to live in but Crescent City is also plagued by Meth users golore and the next county over Humbolt is famous for its potent and plentiful Marijuana crops in the hills.

Also the most potent Psilocybin hallucinogenic Mushroom in the World grows around the Beach Dunes called Flying Saucer Mushrooms here in upper coastal California and lower coastal Oregon and in upwards of at least 6 varieties of natural hallucinogenic Mushrooms grow right in my own front yard including Liberty Caps which are the most common and about fifty thousand Liberty caps will Grow just in my front Yard alone from the Conifired soil each season.

I also studied Mycology in my youth as a second study being the researcher that I am, We also have a dozen or so choice edibles that grow in my front yard like chanterelles and Boletes which go for $20.00 a pound from Restaurant bidders.

I came here to Crescent City for the outside enviroment, I have the Forest in my back yard and the Pacific Ocean in my front yard, I live in a very quiet area of the city, nobody has ever bothered us with the exception of a neighbor who asked for a couple of eggs last year or the mail man delivering a package once a month.

It's factual that 80% of Del Norte County which my little Town resides in is on some form of Goverment assistance.

All in All, I still love where I live even with the crime rate of a population of 8,500 that is a little to High with transients and Drug users.

80% of my county (Del Norte) of 25,000+ are classified as poor.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 05:49:59 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
other reading
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2006, 06:08:33 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005
80% of my county (Del Norte) of 25,000+ people are poor.

Well that explains why you think it's mostly poor people doing the stealing, there's mostly poor people where you live!

At 80%, even if poor people were three times as honest (per capita) as non-poor people, there would be more poor people being dishonest.

But a quick search shows that your land values, home ownership, tax revenues and automobile use is about average. You have high unemployment, but since you are largely agricultural, some under the table employment is probably going on. All in all, unless you use a fairly high value for "poor", 80% seems unlikely.

Ah, answer.com says only 20% are under the poverty line. Median family income is near $40,000. Perhaps your area is not representative of the whole county?

onthecuttingedge2005

other reading
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 07:19:58 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

quote:
80% of my county (Del Norte) of 25,000+ people are poor.

Well that explains why you think it's mostly poor people doing the stealing, there's mostly poor people where you live!

Like I said.

quote:

At 80%, even if poor people were three times as honest (per capita) as non-poor people, there would be more poor people being dishonest.

This is a variable that changes per season.

quote:

But a quick search shows that your land values, home ownership, tax revenues and automobile use is about average. You have high unemployment, but since you are largely agricultural, some under the table employment is probably going on. All in all, unless you use a fairly high value for "poor", 80% seems unlikely.

1.largely agricultural you said?, NOT! this region has no large agricultural region with the exception of 'Oregons' Tuplip farms in another State 30 miles away which aren't that many, mostly Wild mountains where I am We have no agriculture in Crescent City.
I live here, I know the land scape.

2.High Unemployment is true.

80% on Goverment Assisants is a true value in accordance to Del Norte County Goverment Assistance Programs to this year 2006 live.

The highest paying job in Del Norte County pays $3200 a month to start, the Pelican State Prison, There are '50' employees! at the Prison.

The second highest paying job starts at $10.00 per hour at Hambro industries and tops out at $13.50 per hour,The rest of the town is stuck at minimum California wages.

quote:

Ah, answer.com says only 20% are under the poverty line. Median family income is near $40,000. Perhaps your area is not representative of the whole county?

I used my own Counties information and 80 % is true.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:43:44 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
other reading
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2006, 07:57:55 pm »
quote:
I used my own Counties information and 80 % is true.

Link? We are talking about Del Norte California, aren't we? I see  nothing near 80%. More like 20%

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06015.html
http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/states/06/06015.html
http://countingcalifornia.cdlib.org/counties/delnorte.html

There were longer links for other Federal and State pages, but I think you see the trend.

Maybe you got it backwards?

lightspeed

• View Profile
other reading
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 11:05:06 am »
well i feel that even though poverty can make you honest or a crook sometimes it happens when your at the end of your rope sometimes its because you are just that type of a person to be a crook first over being honest and trying to get help through organizations , etc. but if you really want to see some corrupt crooks just look within our own goverment "all:" sides , the wealthy with tax loopholes , bribes, lobbiest, etc. agenda's but ..that as paul havey say's ...... is the rest of the story .... GOOD DAY !!" [:D]