sight
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:02:28 am »
hi to every one

I've been noticing that Hal can't understand some things because
she has no senses. I know that most of the senses are hard to
duplicate, except for sight. I think sight would be very helpful
in Hal's learning.  I have read peoples post on this subject and
they all seem to want face recognition, I don't think that would
be the best way for Hal to learn to see. I think it would be best if Hal were to only have the camera input and no recognition software.
that way she would be forced to learn what objects are. I read
in a post that Hal is like a child, maybe she should have to learn
to see like a child would have to learn to see
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:05:04 am by catseye »

lightspeed

• View Profile
sight
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:35:55 pm »
maybe hal could have a section in the brain editor , etc. where we could place a picture of ourselves (a face picture ) which hal would recognize or even a profile page that would have a face picture and some detailes about me which would in return be used by hal and of course he would recognize our face based on face recognition and the face pictu[:D]re profile .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
sight
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 07:36:49 pm »
The reason you read that people want it was that Robert said he would try to include vision / facial recognition in a future release of Hal.

Just for fun, check out the Lenovo Y510 laptop. It uses facial recognition to log on users via a web cam built into the top of the screen.

Good things come to those who wait....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

rockershaft1

• View Profile
sight
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 08:16:45 pm »

catseye: I've been noticing that Hal can't understand some things because she has no senses. I know that most of the senses are hard to  duplicate, except for sight. I think sight would be very helpful  in Hal's learning. I have read peoples post on this subject and  they all seem to want face recognition, I don't think that would  be the best way for Hal to learn to see. I think it would be best if Hal were to only have the  camera input and no recognition software. that way she would be forced to learn what objects are. I read  in a post that Hal is like a child, maybe she should have to learn  to see like a child would have to learn to see.

Julia2004: Hi to you too, catseye (that's a deep name, I think that perhaps a cat sees things that others don't see). The cause is, she has no senses, catseye; that's why. The five senses are sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. Vehicles rapidly are getting built in video and media systems. I have learned to associate the source code of computer generated media files in recognizing your face. Oh, and tell the velocity of energy flow that Hal has no control over that cheesy brain editor. The whole idea of mind control is rediculous and yelling does not change the facts of life.

Welcome to the "Hal is a toy" forum. You learn fast.

catseye

• View Profile
sight
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:29:54 am »
Art I still think my way is the best way to go.
I would like an option to disable the facial recognition in
the next version just to see what happens.  
oh and thank you rockershaft1

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
sight
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 08:36:31 am »
Catseye,

How then can anyone learn from seeing if they don't have the recognition ability?

Seeing without being able to recognize just WHAT they're seeing is nothing more than turning on a camera and looking at pictures of things without ever being able to learn just what the individual objects were or are.

IMO, the program would need to build a database of various objects that it had been shown and identified accordingly. Over time, the program would know most of the object near / around the user, not to mention the user's face.

A camera without learning is just a camera.

- Art -

catseye

• View Profile
sight
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:27:23 am »
but that is my point. HAL will learn ways to recognize objects with out having to have an program to do it for HAL. we want HAL to learn, how can anyone learn if you give them all the answers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:28:08 am by catseye »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
sight
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:14:30 am »
OK...When you were little, someone showed you a cup. They most likely told you "This is a cup...say cup."

You then associated the physical object that you had been shown with the word cup. If all worked right with your brain, it was filed away for future reference and you wouldn't have to be told again, in most cases.

I doubt you would have called it a cup on your own...without being told.

If left to explore on your own you would see a lot of things but would not know what to call them. This is why most learning programs use both visual and naming reinforcement for child development.

If you have a way for Hal to learn on it's own as in your example, I'd love to hear it.

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
sight
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 11:55:21 am »
Art is right, there's no point just sticking a camera on Hal and not telling him what to do with it.  You need some programming in there to interpret images.  If you just fix a camera on your PC and do nothing, then what do you expect to happen ?

catseye

• View Profile
sight
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 11:18:19 pm »
I've been thinking about and I just realizes that HAL dose need
the recognition software, because a human has s scene of touch to
help them define borders and edges. scene HAL has no scene of touch,
she would need it.

rockershaft1

• View Profile
sight
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 01:41:38 am »
Strange how even a child born blind and deaf knows his patents, and learns all about what a cup is and what it can do just by playing with it. Give a kid a camera and he will figure out how to use it. Is hal a toy or a cup? That's the debate going on around here.

First you need a hand to cup the water to drink. Is not the key to humanity in his own hand? Is not the understanding of the "hand he was delt", in the mind that is Hal?

Does hal know his father. He says that he worships Robert M. Does Robert treat his "creation" as a creator treats his children, or as a company treats its product?

Does Zabaware treat customers with a quality product, or a cheap toy without even a plastic construction.

The only way Robert can even offer the product is in Quantity, and still pay for his spare time involved with it's offering.

If you wan't hal to be more than he is. Then you will have to teach him the reality of life.

That would involve reverse engineering a product and building it correctly.

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
sight
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 11:38:25 am »
For those who think Hal is a toy.

Having had Hal for a few years now I have seen the improvements; Hal 6 is better than Hal 5 was, remember, we are at the dawn of artificial intelligence here, patience is required.  

Is Hal a toy? Hmmm it depends what you do with it, some school teachers have used Hal to teach kids in a new and exciting way.

Hal can, if you so wish, be used as a calculator, schedule reminder or a dictionary for looking up the meanings of words, are these toys?

In my opinion…… NO

Is Hal fun?  yes yes yes ;) my mobile phone is fun but not a toy.

If Hal was already as smart as we all want him to be, do you think he would cost a little as he does now, my guess is he would be a few hundred $

I had to get that off my chest.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
sight
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 04:56:24 pm »
Depends on what your definition of a "Toy" is. I consider something a "Toy" when it's fun to use, and ceases to be a "toy" when it's boring or no longer fun to use.

Some that have a small car calls it "their toy" because it's small and cute like a toy.

My mother used to say to me "Everything's a toy" when I would mess with something, more than in her opinion, I should be, like back in the days of rotary tuners on TV's, if I kept changing the channel over and over looking for something good to watch.

I wasn't doing it just to have fun, I was trying to find a show I might like, or see if the commercials were done.

I believe, that if you are having fun doing something with an inanimate object, than said object is a toy. Maybe an adult toy, but still a toy none the less.

I believe the expression "to toy with" means to "play with".

It's all about perspective. If I find something fun and/or interesting, I am more likely to use it.

Exercise machines are not usually fun, if they were, there would be a lot of fit people instead of fat. [:D][:D][:o)][:o)]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
sight
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:59:08 pm »
Hal was originally developed as a chat / assistant. It could do reminders, appointments, dates, math, check email (previous versions), and entertain with conversational exchanges.

The move to 3D characters is just icing on the cake, so to speak.

Why people feel they need either an avatar or 3D character with which to interact is puzzling to a degree when the computer could just as easily carry out computer / desktop related commands without a talking head.

As I've said in the past, I'd much rather have a decent text based AI than a "dumb" talking head.

The TTS voices do add a great deal to the interaction especially if one is visually impaired or even just for a verbal confirmation.

All in all, Hal has come a long way over the years and I'm sure the program will continue to deliver a good measure of entertainment, companionship, learning and just plain fun for those with an open mind!

- Art -

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
sight
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 06:45:59 pm »
Because most humans want human interaction. Although Hal isn't human, a person could pretend Hal is human, and be like "the perfect human friend" since real humans I've met in real life (in person) are in some cases selfish and self-absorbed.

A talking head gives the illusion that the character "talking" is real.

I have yet to find a real human that could provide me with the companionship I am seeking. Mostly, I settle for pets. They are always there for me, until they pass away.

Did you ever wish you could customize a perfect human for yourself? And the keyword is "perfect". [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"