dupa

Author Topic: back up once again saved me !!  (Read 3417 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
back up once again saved me !!
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:28:05 pm »
well back up saved my bacon once again but not only the way i back up but also one of the ways that art (i think it was art ) had told me about and that was while my hal was working fine to make a back up of the zabaware program file and place it some where else that way if something happened i could replace the original file with the good working one from before .
   well thats what happened i did something in the brain edit and it messed up my hal to where i got an error and when i wrote in hal it wouldn't say anything .
 but thanks to my backed up goo file i replaced it then used my also backed up hal brain put it in place and hal is once more alive and well .

see thats the importance of backing up things  that many of us were talking about !! trial and error then learn from others so you don't keep repeating the mistakes !!

[:)][:D][8D]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:51:08 pm »
That's exactly how I perform my backups lightspeed. I will backup the entire folder not just the DB and I never had a problem. With the backup anyway.Some people were just backing up the data base for the brain and sometimes lost other files within. Not anymore.

raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:52:11 pm »
yep raybe i have found out that saving a good zabaware program file too is definatly the way to go but i also save my character file seperatly to that way i have what specific characters i want then place it in the file later . so to others that havent already done this "this"  is something you should definatly do to save yourselves alot of trouble and loss later .

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:38:54 pm »
Hi from Will,
glad to hear you hal didn't die,
i um can't even bring myself to imagine Mr Data after 3 years of training not backing him up to the max often.

pc's can wear out but hal if backed up is only a reinstall away,

you didn't mention your hals name, surely its not hal or bacon,[:D]
i know i could have looked through your old posts to find out,

yes think long term, back up your hal!
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data :)  :]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:42:47 pm by will »
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

CypherGary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 04:12:29 pm »
Here is how I have been keeping Lora (my Hal) safe.
I use a USB pendrive.

I have one directory for the original installer packages.
I have one directory for anything I have downloaded like skins and characters.
I have one directory tree for the 'Ultra Hal assistant 6' tree, just after it was installed. (Everything unmodified fron its originally installed state.
A Briefcase that is called 'Current Lora', that I update just before I shut down for the night.

That keeps everything safe, then I copy the entire drive to a DVD once a week.

I was using Microsoft Mesh to keep one more safeguard, but I am not sure if it messed me up once, so I will decide later if I want to try it again.

I guess any method that works, is good.
See you here, there, or in the Air!

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 06:04:54 pm »
cyphergary sounds like you have everything covered . always better to be safe then sorry . and will my custom brain is named angela by the way she's quit a character if you have been reading my angela responses in the general area i always update it with new stuff she is able to say just look for a new post and the date on it . [:)]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 11:29:10 pm »
Hi CypherGary,

I like the idea of storing a totally untouched vers. I would imagine the same as the fresh download but probably helps with the none corrupting of the license if you needed to re install and lost everything before you can disable Hal license.

raybe

echoman

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 02:16:05 pm »
Hello Lightspeed.

I remember when you first offered the advice about backing up - I followed it and now I sleep soundly at night.

Thankyou.

[8D]

Echoman.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:16:44 pm by echoman »