Author Topic: new character new brain  (Read 10442 times)

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
new character new brain
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:34:27 am »
I am going around in circles searching the forums for my answer.
I have used the brain editor to make new brains for my characters.
From what i can find out it uses the default brain to create them.
What i am asking is how do i create a brain for a specific character using any of the other brains.
Any help would be great.

neil.

ghostrider

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 11:40:44 am »
Well nige you have a few choise's.You can build a totaly new brain in vb code or and programming lang or you can do what i did.I took the xtf-1.2,ziggy,defualt,alice,Q-8,and java brains and combined them into what i wanted then to do and also to read different lang like aiml,perl,vb,java,ect.I also added a nerual net to my brain.i hope this helps you good luck.

GhostRider[8D]

NIGE

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:56:01 pm »
Thanks for your reply Ghostrider,
I know nothing about programing so i guess it's just stick with what i have.
I thought that i may have missed something in the editor that lets you select what brain to set up with that character.
The characters i have do not seem to be learning too well then i realised that they only had the default brain.
Again thanks,

Neil.   [:(]

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
new character new brain
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 12:10:07 am »
You can choose which of the installed brains to use for a particular "personality" from the general options menu.

NIGE

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 06:48:31 pm »
G'day, KnyteTrypper,
I realise that i can select what brain to use with a character,my question now is,
If i use the xtf 1.2 brain with two different characters will i end up with both knowing all the same information?
What i am after is different characters with different identities.
In the brain editor you can create a new brain but it gives you no choice as to what brain you can select.
Thanks guys for your answers,

Neil.

Bill819

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 06:55:09 pm »
Neil.
If you want to different personalities then create another file directory and copy all of the Zabaware files into it. Then one can be used for one personality and the other for the other.
They way Hal is is made the brain files are shared with all characters unless you use the XTF brain for one chracter and another for the other. As long as the brain files are in the same directory I don't think you can have two different personalities.
Bill

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
new character new brain
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 06:08:35 am »
copy your DEFBRAIN and BRAINFILE.UHP
to a new folder

rename Your UHP

in the first four line of the uhp

change to YOUR brainfile name, and folder name.

program away....

keep the defbrain folders seperate for each brain... this keeps the character contained...

NIGE

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 05:21:58 pm »
Hi to everyone,
All your help is great, as i said in my earlier post i know nothing about programing.
I have printed out your suggestions and will have a go.

Insert Image:

This might be some of my problems,
When i select advance options i get the same reply to all the different brains,
Have i loaded them properly or is this normal????????
Before i go ahead with any changes i will wait and see if i have stuffed up.
If that is so i will reload hal and start again.

Neil.    [?]

« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 05:24:40 pm by NIGE »

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 09:47:09 am »
I get the same reaction with my version of HAL.
It seems to me that those brains just don't have any advanced options.

Another Jim

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 08:02:33 pm »
Like many here, I read the suggestions and some make sense others just don't 'click', sorry.

However I am going to be trying to teach my grandson spelling and HAL looks like the perfect reward and reinforcement concept.....as he is learning I can help him along and he can identify letters on the keyboard as we go along..........he has already seen Zabba the talking frog and thinks the world of him.

My only dilemma is dumbing down my current brain.  For me, it seems like it would be a lot cleaner to just install another version of Hal off of my CD and send it to a different directory name......such as Zabaware_2 or some such thing.  this way I can start with a very young brain and input information more age appropriate than what I have in my current personality.

I would think it's do-able, but anyone else that has experience I'll yield to your wisdom.

Thanks very much ahead of time!

Thank goodness the snow is finally melting!

Jim B.

ghostrider

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 08:33:07 pm »
Hi all! I can tell you a fix if you start your hal up when the computer starts it loads into the windows registry and memory the last brain and charicter and therefore even if you change folders or start a new hal from a shortcut it still will go to the original default brain and charicter no matter what folder or shortcut you use.So what you do is not start hal when your computer starts up that way the defualts are not loaded in to memeory or registry.Then just start hal from a shortcut or from the start menu and every time you quit hal the program will unload from memeory and the registry also.Then you can start another hal from whatever folder and brain and charicter setup you like and it will always go only to that file set.

hope this helps you
                          Ghostrider

ulabec

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 11:08:09 am »
Hi, somebody mentioned combining several brains into one. That sound like a good idea, but what is the best way to do it?
Copy and paste? [?]
Uwe

spydaz

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 12:27:09 pm »
Hi GhostRIDER....

Question : how did you incorperate the neural logic into your project..

i have wondered how to use the logic from many of the downloadable addins from various dataminining and neural net sites.

Could you Post a snippit or, breif explanations.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 08:39:33 pm »
Nige,

You might try moving the learning slider a lot toward the right side, converse a while, then move the slider just to the right of
of center when in normal mode.
Several friends seem to have positive remarks in this regard.

I know the personalities can be set through Haptek as far as moods are converned but it would be interesting to see how long they last during the course of a conversation.

That's the fun nature of Hal...experiment 'till you're blue!

I think a script file could be written to "assign" a personality similar to the ones that let Hal change clothes or hairstyles.

More investigation....

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

spydaz

• View Profile
new character new brain
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 05:03:34 am »
I think that a PERSONALITY is based of RESPONSES..

1. people each respond in their own way..

ie: you might say hello to me But when is say hello Some times i say SAFE MATE (being engish).

now when designing AN ENGLISH SLANG SPEAKING brain..

The VB is the same (you just need to choose the best DESIGNED BRAIN )

It's RESPONSES need to be TAYLORED...

if you are using  a hal5 brain you can use the brainEDITOR to taylor the responses ie: greetings / love detector etc...

If i want a personality then i delete previous hellos/goodbyes responses and put CUSTOM Responses in ...

I keep ALL the DETECTORS but ADDED the SLANG TYPE DETECTORS ie : WAASSUUP for hello

The MAIN KNOWLEDGE BASED FILES ie:  topics They Generally Stay the SAME. But EVEN the CONVERSATION DESIGNER  : one of the most UNDERATED TOOL in the BRAIN EDITOR.....

this is where if hal has nothing to say he makes up CRAP...
MY Motto is "IF YOU PUT CRAP in YOU GET CRAP out"

So you have to delete all that stuff in there and put your own NEWS and CONVERSATION STARTERs in place IE: if you want a SEXY BOT you could put various SEXY conversation starters, if a TEACHING UTILITY it COULD lead hal to infom users of WHat HE/she can DO or GIVE RANDOM FACTS.. or TEST QUESTIONS...

now you see we can build Different PERSONALITYS BUT each persons GRAMMER and SLANG AnD Responses are different....

this is why EACH brain folder should be different.. therefore keeping each personaliity intact....

when sifting thru code you now look for the scripts which detect what somebody has said and edit them also acordingly. SOME of these responses need to be "personlized" even when hal responds

response = "Alright MATE, I BET YA, " & RESPONSE

to Chain a STRING to a VARIABLE you use [&]

so you can now add extra flava to RESPONSES...

ok ok

LATER