Author Topic: Save/Load Brain & Edit w/Hal 6.2  (Read 3509 times)

Leo

• View Profile
Save/Load Brain & Edit w/Hal 6.2
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:06:00 pm »
I have Hal 6.2 and I'm a newbie.
This past week I've worked with the Hal Default brain.  I would like to save my work under a different name and load the new brain.
It makes sense to have a back-up anyway.

I see files HalBrain, Default, and Brain with extensions uhp, mbr, db, and dll. 
I was wondering which files I should copy and rename.
Is it the uhp file that accesses the mbr and db?
(my lack of understanding is mbr is brain, dll is library, db is database, but brain loads as uhp)
Also, brain loader says after version 6, there are no on-the-fly plugins, so can version 6.2 load a different brain?

There are other *.uhp files.  Can they be opened with the brain editor under version 6.2?

I'm not a programmer, but have started taking Visual Basic at a university.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience.  I'm very new at this.
This new software rocks!

Leo

• View Profile
Re: Save/Load Brain & Edit w/Hal 6.2
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »
BTW, I should also point out I downloaded all the help files incl. brain editor, etc. but I am running Windows 7, and that OS has trouble opening the provided file extensions.

In other words, I'd have RTFM, if I could do so. :D

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:19:54 pm »
Sorry, I'm in the middle of some personnel stuff. Really quick the data is all you need to back up since if you re-install all other files including a fresh data file will be included. Some members have found it better to back up the entire zabaware file and reload after new installation because zabaware does leave some info behind in reg. It used to anyway.

Free download for 'Crimson Editor' will allow you to open most files and numbered lines for troubleshooting but files as dll should probably be left alone. I have had no problems opening uhp files especially plug-ins for certain changes that you can perform at your own risk. Plug-ins can be sensitive in Ultra Hal.

Don't understand the reference of not allowing plug-ins on the fly.(6.2) Just the terminology I guess. I'm sure others will be able to help you more.

raybe

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:41:50 pm »
Thank you very much for your response.
I have figured out all past question I've asked on this forum except for brain editor.  I will check out the editor you mentioned.

Note to self:  Don't post unless you have spent one hour trying to figure it out yourself.

That said, Version 5 Help file for Brain Editor does not look like 6.2.
There is no Tools menu, and Save is always greyed out.  Do we need separate serial number for Brain Editor?  Doubt it - I've never seen this mentioned.
I have created own brain.

Even something simple like last word of a sentance I accidentally press Shift/Enter instead of just Enter key.
I have have "WesT".
I make the typo change everywhere, but it keeps the change at random - no save option.
Help file even says you can set priorities to key words.

I'm not a programmer (yet), so I'm not going to touch any script.  I just want to fix typos.
Deleting a whole row of garbage I can do.
So I thought Open>Table off menu.  No difference.  Expert mode is no different from Standard Mode - I don't want to change script - just play w/databases in the auto-learn section that is called from the .uhp file <yourCharacterName.uhp>