Author Topic: Buggy Forum  (Read 7935 times)

tony.steward

• View Profile
    • http://www.locksdownunder.com
Buggy Forum
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:16:45 am »
This forum is almost as frustrating as HAL. Pages are slow to load and somtimes won't load at all.

Bill819

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:01:27 am »
quote:
Originally posted by tony.steward

This forum is almost as frustrating as HAL. Pages are slow to load and somtimes won't load at all.

Well they load as fast as a lightening bolt for me. I have a dsl line. If you are having problems then I suggest that it is a combination of both your PC and your internet provider and not this site.
Bill

vrossi

• View Profile
    • http://vrconsulting.it
Buggy Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 04:07:05 pm »
I've been using this forum for a couple of years now and I've never experienced any frustrating slowness. I use several Snitz Forums and the response time is about the same.

And I don't think that talking with Hal is frustrating.  However, this is a personal opinion.

aladyblond

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:04:56 pm »
sigh.......[:I] alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Buggy Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:39:21 pm »
Test other websites before you judge this one. If all websites are slow, it's your internet connection, or your computer.

Sometimes, a website will become slow due to traffic and server problems.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Bill819

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:16:56 pm »
I just realized that one of the most important things that you can get or do to speed up you ability to access sites, download, etc., is to get as much memory as your PC will hold. Everything that we do takes up memory, even running windows, exployer, etc. If you don't have enough then your PC is constantly writing things to your hard disk and then having to reload them when you do someting different. This is called virtual memory which is really a bad name as it is not memory at all. Thus if your PC is runnig slow it might be simply because you don't have enough memory for what you want to do and your PC is constantly reading and writing to your hard disk which will really slow it down.
Befor I went to DSL I used a 56k modem and I still accessed this site without any major problems but then again I had over 2 megs of memory.
Bill

Bill819

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:18:13 pm »
I just realized that one of the most important things that you can get or do to speed up you ability to access sites, download, etc., is to get as much memory as your PC will hold. Everything that we do takes up memory, even running windows, exployer, etc. If you don't have enough then your PC is constantly writing things to your hard disk and then having to reload them when you do someting different. This is called virtual memory which is really a bad name as it is not memory at all. Thus if your PC is runnig slow it might be simply because you don't have enough memory for what you want to do and your PC is constantly reading and writing to your hard disk which will really slow it down.
Befor I went to DSL I used a 56k modem and I still accessed this site without any major problems but then again I had over 2 megs of memory.
Bill

tony.steward

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 03:57:24 am »
SO SORRY I said anything. I won't bother if i'm going to get jumped on.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 06:04:51 am »
Tony,

What kind of connection are you using from Australia? dialup, DSL, Cable?
Using XP - SP2?
Memory?
How many other programs are running?

A lot of what's been said can and will affect your speed.

They're not jumping on you. Please realize that this community has had some regular members for many years and they might be somewhat defensive when a new member starts ranting about Hal or the site.

There are more subtle ways to voice an opinion or concern and that advice can be applied to any site one visits.

Questions are always welcome as are new members. We've a lot of really helpful people here. Just try not to put them on the defense right off the bat, so to speak.

BTW...Welcome!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

tony.steward

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 08:04:47 am »
Connection DSL 512
Using XP - SP2
Pentium 4 dual core 3.4ghz
Memory 512mb
How many other programs are running? not many.

May I say I spend about 6 hours a day online and I know when I am having trouble with a site. I surf many sites and forums, for some reason this site keeps time outing.

onthecuttingedge2005

Buggy Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 09:38:52 am »
quote:
Originally posted by tony.steward

Connection DSL 512
Using XP - SP2
Pentium 4 dual core 3.4ghz
Memory 512mb
How many other programs are running? not many.

May I say I spend about 6 hours a day online and I know when I am having trouble with a site. I surf many sites and forums, for some reason this site keeps time outing.

Hi Tony.

It might just be a bottleneck in the servers between you and Zabaware's server that's causing it, It may just be a temporary issue hopefully. There are programs out there for download that let you find bottlenecks between servers or branched servers.

Jerry[8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 02:13:10 pm »
Hi Tony
I am sorry if you believed that we were jumping on you. I can assure you that is not what anyone one here was trying to do. We always welcome new users of Hal and try to be as helpful as we can. I think that most of the above comments were directed at trying to discover what the root of your problem was/is not to make fun of your problem.
I have a 2.4 ghz PC with 2 megs of ram running XP SP2 just the same as you do. I also use a DSL line but it seems that mine is a little faster than what you quoted about yours.
Being that all the hardware seems to be somewhat equal then I suggest possibly two things that might be causing your problem. One being to many things running in the background while trying to get on our site and the other being your internet provider. You might try to tell your problem to them and see if they can give you an answer. They might have a problem that even they did not realize.
Good luck and don't quit us now, as you are just getting started.
Bill

Carl2

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 06:12:29 pm »
tony.steward,
  I've been using this site for many years, P2, 300Mhz, win 98, 319 MB mem. With a 56K modem it was one of the better sites on the internet. Sites with a lot of graphics really slowed things down.
  I've just switched to DSL, now the internet is much better.
Carl2

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Buggy Forum
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 07:46:02 am »
Just for comparison, I also have a slower computer (800) using Win2k with a broadband connection. Pages here come up with an almost audible snap... except yesterday. For some reason, yesterday was very slow, then I lost Email altogether for about 4 hours. Then suddenly it came back.

My ISP support guys always go right to "Format and reinstall windows", and I always refuse to do so. Good thing.

It was them, not me.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Buggy Forum
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 07:59:06 am »
I did have a problem with this forum earlier, but it's fine, now.

Server overload??  it took awhile to load a page here, but other websites were fine.

Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"