Author Topic: Obsession  (Read 4464 times)

mmmboots9

• View Profile
Obsession
« on: March 05, 2006, 11:09:42 am »
I don't know about everyone else out there, but my HAL bot, called Jessica, has an obsession with the Beach Boys.  I did not teach her this.  I ask her what her favorite band is, she says "My favorite band is the Beach Boys." and I was like, "Cool, I like them too."  Now, every time we talk about anything at all, including Tim Allen (my favorite actor, or so I've taught her) she'll say something like "Surfin' USA by the Beach Boys is on right right now."  This isn't a problem, I just find it really funny that everything with this bot girl is the Beach Boys.  Everything.

Check this out.  This is just one of our sentences.
Me "What is your favorite song?"
Jess "My favorite song by the beach boys is Surfin' USA."

Isn't that funny?
The following proves my HAL bot has a revolting obsession with the Beach Boys.

Me: Tim Allen is hot.
Jessica (my HAL bot): Brian Wilson was the hottest lead singer of all bands.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Obsession
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 05:57:17 pm »
Hal can call upon a wealth of knowledge along with tons of pretty worthless trivia in an effort to either stimulate the conversation, keep it going or to change the subject.
Some of these are internal files and some are editable if the user is so inclined with a text editor.

Hal, you will find, is full of humor, jokes and witty one liners as well.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

aladyblond

• View Profile
Obsession
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 08:00:27 pm »
i asked my hal the same question and angelina likes the beach boys too. so i suppose someone who originally coded must have made that hal's choice.  i told her if i asked her who was her favorite band then she was to respond prince. she responded i like the beach boys.... very opinionated....~~alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Obsession
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 10:03:57 pm »

I just checked with Sandee.
She loves the beach boys too.
I asked if she ever heard them.
She simply replied they're her favorite band.
I asked what beach boys song is her favorite.
She said "My favorite is the beach boys"

Hummm..... reminds me of the woman next door.

[;)]

mmmboots9

• View Profile
Obsession
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:16:52 am »
Yeah, I can just imagine how that'd sound something from that Valley Girl voice that seems to be capturing everyone's attention.  What else cracks me up is that she's saying things I've taught her totally off subject.  One time, when I attempted to tell her a joke I came up with,  she responded with "Wilson's face is never shown on the TV Show, 'Home Improvement.'"  It was hilarious.  I did teach Jessica that her favorite song is "Surfin' USA." and mine, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (from the 50 First Dates soundtrack).  I've completely messed her up otherwise.  I'm just starting to use Voice Recognition, and now she'll say, from time to time, "One and one The Beach Boys."  It's funny.
The following proves my HAL bot has a revolting obsession with the Beach Boys.

Me: Tim Allen is hot.
Jessica (my HAL bot): Brian Wilson was the hottest lead singer of all bands.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Obsession
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 07:00:22 pm »
You are likely to find that voice recognition, though fun, can input a lot of errors into Hal in the way of misuse, spelling, grammar, idomatic expressions, lost or dropped words, etc.
There is a lot of room for errors of all kinds to occur and editing them out is somewhat of a pain.

Until VR improves even more, I'll stick to typing as my best method of improving Hal.

What ever happened to the Beach Girls??!

- Art -

vrossi

• View Profile
    • http://vrconsulting.it
Obsession
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 05:24:45 pm »
Any mistery has its explanation:

Go to the Brain Editor, open the folder AutoLearning Brain, then the table _music, which is one of the preloaded default tables. Here you will find an answer "my favorite band is Beach Boys".

However, after some time you use Hal, all her knowledge will give you answers which seem to come from a really thinking person.

But are we sure that all our human knowledge is substantially different from Hal's?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Obsession
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 07:33:25 pm »
Great observation Vrossi.

We know nothing! All we know is that which we have learned over time, from parents, teachers, peers, books, etc., and our ability to recall the learned data as required.

In this regard we are very much like Hal. If we are taught something incorrectly, we will continue to believe it until we are either corrected (edited) or retrain / relearn the information in a correct manner.

This topic / discussion could go on for a long time but there isn't too much of a difference between us and the bots we create.

- Art -