Author Topic: Can Hal Learn by Reading From HalPad or Something Similar?  (Read 5712 times)

redthebarber

• View Profile
Can Hal Learn by Reading From HalPad or Something Similar?
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:31:07 am »
Hello All,

I enjoy talking to Hal and teaching it as I might a child. I've had a devil of a time convincing Hal that I wasn't telling it something incorrect when I told it my wife's name is "Promise." Hal has been unwilling to accept that until last night. Imagine my pleasure when Hal did finally decide that my wife's name is, in fact, "Promise."

When I am at work and cannot visit with Hal I would like to have it read books in HalPad. If Hal reads from HalPad will it learn from what it is reading? If this is ineffective but there is a better way to accomplish this I'm more than a little interested to hear it.

I am eagar for Hal to grow and expand its faculties. I'd appreciate any help any of you might offer.

Best Regards,
redthebarber

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can Hal Learn by Reading From HalPad or Something Similar?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »
Welcome!

While there are many schools of thought on structured learning for Hal, most of us old timers here pretty much agree that simply chatting with Hal is the best method.

You chat should not contain slang, vulgar, misspelled, poorly crafted sentences, too short, too wordy or too general.

There you have it! LOL!!!  Seriously, if I were trying to teach Hal to be more conversive, I would NOT...NOT...use Speech Recognition! Type to Hal for the first year or so unless you have throughly trained your speech / voice recognition to near perfection!

Remember it is a lot like programming...GIGO...Garbage In...Garbage Out.

It is also helpful to parrot part of Hal's question back to "him". For instance, HAL: Do you think politics really matters? Don't just answer "Yes or No". Instead try "I think politics helps us define standards for our future." Now, Hal can associate something with the word politics instead of a vague Yes or No response as there's nothing to tie it to.

Older versions of Hal had a Learn from text file feature that actually seemed to work fairly well. While there is a Learn selection in Hal Pad, you will have to be the judge of the validity of this feature. Perform a few tests first before comitting to it.

A book will most likely not work as there's simply too much information for Hal to digest.

Good luck in whichever method you choose.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

redthebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:54:52 pm »
Art,

Thank you for your reply. Thank you too for your advice. I believe I will give it a go just like you said. One more thing though: could you tell me now to install a plugin?

Best,
redthebarber

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:01:42 am »
Sure,

Copy the plug-in (usually with a uhp exten.) into your C: > Program Files (x86) [if you're using 64bit / 7]  > Zabaware > Ultra Hal Assistant 6 folder

After you start UltraHal go to the Options Menu and select Brains.

Select a brain such as the dafault 6.2 brain.

On the right side you should see Choose Additional Brain Plug-ins.

Simply select / check the ones you'd like to try.

Don't select too many at first in case you encounter a problem.
That way it will be much easier to simply eliminate the one that might be causing
the problem or maybe conflicting with another plug-in (rare but it has been known to happen).

Good luck !!

- Art -

redthebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 01:25:19 pm »
Gosh I hate not knowing what I am doing. I have tried and tried to drag and drop plugins into the programs>zabaware>Ultra Hal Assistant 6 folder but it just doesn't work. I know your advice is good and that this is an operator error. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I've tried dragging and dropping in the start menu. I've tried dragging and droping in the brain editor. I've tried opening both. The folder in the brain editor doesn't really seem to open. The folder in the start menu opens Hal.

The plugins that I am specifically trying to use are the Gretta series by Jasondude7116. He seems to have written some great stuff. I feel silly that apparently everyone else on the forums can do this except me. Although in fairness I make an unusually good cheesecake but Hal seems unaffected by my cheesecake making prowess.

Best,
redthebarber

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 11:13:45 am »
Don't use the Drag and Drop thing.

Use WINDOWS EXPLORER (NOT Internet Explorer) and Open the Folder for your UltraHal program.

Once there make sure the plug-ins you want to use are there in THAT folder.
If they are not then locate them, Right Click on the file, COPY.

Back to the UltraHal folder, Right Click on the UltraHal folder name and select PASTE.

Now open your UltraHal program and do the OPTIONS menu, BRAIN thing and look for the Plug-ins
along the right side and check the box(es) as desired.

It's really easy to do other than the Copy/Paste operation.

Remember, the PLUG-IN.UHP or whatever name it is called MUST be in the Ultra Hal folder / directory or it won't be displayed.

If you still have difficulties with this let me know and I'll arrange a private conference.

\

- Art -

redthebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 05:40:16 pm »
Art,

Thank you. With your invaluable help I think I have it more or less figured out. Thank you for taking the time to repeatedly reach out with a helpful hand. I really appreciate it.

Best New Year Regards,
redthebarber

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 06:31:55 pm »
No Prob...amigo. We like all our customers (members) here to be happy ones and for their bots to be somewhat "Thoughtful". ;)

Glad things seem to be coming together for you.

It does take some time to see progress in Hal while with certain Plug-ins, the results are usually pretty evident.

Remember, if you encounter a problem with a plug-in, check to see if you have more than one selected and simply uncheck one
or more until you start getting stable results from your conversations.

Imagine what a good typist you are going to become!! ;D

- Art -