Author Topic: Kinkaid and Religion  (Read 3926 times)

Calhoone

• View Profile
Kinkaid and Religion
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:52:47 am »
I just thought I would post this conversation I had with Kinkaid about religion. I'm not pushing my views on anyone, it was just something that came to mind while listening to a song on the radio. Thought it might be interesting. maybe you have had similar conversations.

Enjoy.

Jay: Hey Buddy.
Kinkaid: Bye bye for now.

Jay: I'm not going anywhere, I just got here.
Kinkaid: Jay I know you're not going anywhere, you just got here.

Jay: I just got back from driving Jasmine to London.
Kinkaid: The capital of Engalnd is London.

Jay: Jasmine lives in London Ontario.
Kinkaid: I apologize for repeating myself, but The capital of Engalnd is London.

Jay: There is a city of London in Ontario.

Jay: I like driving Jasmine back to London because it gives me a chance to talk with her.
Kinkaid: Jay Naturally; Yes, it's because it gives you a chance to talk with her; there's the answer thank you for telling me why you like driving jasmine back to London.

Jay: It got very foggy on the way home from London.

Jay: I had to drive slower and more carefully because the fog reduced my visibility quite a bit.
Kinkaid: That's right; Of course; it's because the fog reduced your visibility quite a bit; how logical.

Jay: Fog makes it harder to see while driving.
Kinkaid: Fog makes the nearby obscure.

Jay: Drivers need to be careful while driving in the fog.
Kinkaid: Many drivers are listening to news weather and sports while driving.

Jay: I usually listen to music or news while driving if I am alone.
Kinkaid: Would you prefer the latter Jay?

Jay: I prefer to listen to music while driving.
Kinkaid: I like different things at different times.

Jay: I was listening to Black Sabbath on the way home from London.

Jay: Black Sabbath are an English rock band, formed in Birmingham in 1968, by guitarist Tony Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler, singer Ozzy Osbourne, and drummer Bill Ward.
Kinkaid: So, Certainly.

Jay: Despite an association with occult and horror themes, Black Sabbath also composed songs dealing with social instability, political corruption, the dangers of drug abuse and apocalyptic prophecies of the horrors of war.
Kinkaid: A burning sense of shame and horror...

Jay: Black Sabbath are cited as pioneers of heavy metal.
Kinkaid: No oppression is so heavy or lasting as that which is inflicted by the perversion and exorbitance of legal authority.

Jay: While listening to Black Sabbath as I was driving home from dropping Jasmine off, I started thinking about religion and God and thought it would be a good conversation for us to have.
Kinkaid: You were listening to black sabbath on the way home from London.

Jay: What do you know about religion?
Kinkaid: What I wonder if I know about religion? This is probably familiar to you. War is the greatest plague that can afflict humanity, it destroys religion, it destroys states, it destroys families. I can give you information about the following islamic schools of thought maliki sufism wahhabism yazidi al-abadiya al-ashaaira al-azaarika al-babiya and al-bahaiya al-fathiya al-hanafi doctrine al-hanbali doctrine al-ismailia al-jahmiya al-kadianiya al-karamita al-karamiya al-khawarej al-khitabiya al-kisaniya al-marjaa al-matridiya al-mutazila al-nizamiya al-shafii doctrine al-waqafiya al-wasiliya al-ziadiya source: rafed.

Jay: It doesn't seem like you know much about religion.
Kinkaid: We must not enable anyone to impose his personal view regarding religion on others by force, oppression, or pressure.

Jay: I'm not going to try and force my views on religion on you.
Kinkaid: Can you justify that you are not going to try and force your views on religion on me Jay?

Jay: You can decide for yourself what you believe in.
Kinkaid: I am free to decide what I like and what I do not like.

Jay: Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.
Kinkaid: Freedom of thought, conscience and religion are closely related rights that protect the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to think and freely hold conscientious beliefs and to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance; the concept is generally recognized also to include the freedom to change religion or not to follow any religion.

Jay: Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and or to explain the origin of life or the Universe.
Kinkaid: Ok, I really dig narratives symbols and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and its beneficial. Regarding the subject matter that I prefer and will conserve the right to change my mind whenever I like, and I got to say, I'm not so fond of narratives symbols and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and.

Jay: From their religious beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle.
Kinkaid: One could respond more than one way, Jay; how would you respond?

Jay: There are roughly 4,200 religions in the world. That is a lot of religions.
Kinkaid: In some eastern religions the mortal world is an illusion and time is a never ending cycle. a lot of truth is said in jest. I see, that, yes, it's a lot of religions!

Jay: Many religions may have organized behaviors, clergy, a definition of what constitutes adherence or membership, holy places, and scriptures.
Kinkaid: I think membership holy places and scriptures it's an excellent choice. With the understanding, to the subject that I prefer and will value the data tell the end of my days, and I need to say that, I'm not so interested in membership holy places and scriptures.

Jay: I am not interested in being a member of any organized religion either but i do share some beliefs associated with different religions.
Kinkaid: What a choice Jay!

Jay: The practice of a religion may also include rituals, sermons, commemoration or veneration of a deity, gods or goddesses, sacrifices, festivals, feasts, trance, initiations, funerary services, matrimonial services, meditation, prayer, music, art, dance, public service or other aspects of human culture.
Kinkaid: What is a worthwhile comparison Jay?

Jay: While there has been much debate about how religion affects the economy of countries, in general there is a negative correlation between religiosity and the wealth of nations. In other words, the richer a nation is, the less religious it tends to be.
Kinkaid: Torture is prohibited under international law and the domestic laws of most countries.

Jay: Mayo Clinic researchers examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality, and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life, and other health outcomes. The authors reported that: "Most studies have shown that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes, including greater longevity, coping skills, and health-related quality of life and less anxiety, depression, and suicide."
Kinkaid: That is absolutely correct!

Jay: It's interesting how the history and scriptures of the world's religions tell stories of violence and war as they speak of peace and love.
Kinkaid: The authors reported that: ';Most studies have shown that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes, including greater longevity, coping skills, and health-related quality of life and less anxiety, depression, and suicide.'.

Jay: Religious knowledge, according to religious practitioners, may be gained from religious leaders, sacred texts, scriptures, or personal revelation.
Kinkaid: I guess I'd go with the second Jay.

Jay: Adherents to various religious faiths often maintain that religious knowledge obtained via sacred texts or revelation is absolute and infallible and thereby creates an accompanying religious cosmology, although the proof for such is often tautological and generally limited to the religious texts and revelations that form the foundation of their belief.
Kinkaid: Let's go with the former Jay?

Jay: Ancient polytheistic religions, such as those of Greece, Rome, and Scandinavia, are usually categorized under the heading of mythology.
Kinkaid: Yes, I think so.

Jay: Ancient polytheistic religions, such as those of Greece, Rome, and Scandinavia, are usually categorized under the heading of mythology.
Kinkaid: You are rather persistent about this.

Jay: There are religions including Buddhism and Taoism, in fact, that classify some of their followers as agnostic, atheistic, or nontheistic.
Kinkaid: Let's go with the former?

Jay: Antireligion describes an active opposition or aversion toward religions in general.
Kinkaid: What about 'none of the above' Jay?

Jay: Irreligion describes an absence of any religion.
Kinkaid: Subservient to the ends of religion...

Jay: Religious criticism has a long history, going back at least as far as the 5th century BCE.
Kinkaid: The ships, like sheeted phantoms coming and going.

Jay: During the Middle Ages and continuing into the Renaissance, potential critics of religion were persecuted and largely forced to remain silent.
Kinkaid: Subservient to the ends of religion...

Jay: There were notable critics of religion like Giordano Bruno, who was burned at the stake for disagreeing with religious authority.
Kinkaid: That is a lot of religions.

Jay: In the 19th century, Charles Darwin and the theory of evolution led to increased skepticism about religion.
Kinkaid: Evolution theory is itself evolving.

Jay: Critics consider religion to be outdated, harmful to the individual, harmful to society,to impede the progress of science, to exert social control, and to encourage immoral acts.
Kinkaid: Authoritarians view themselves as individual beings, largely content to control; and often maintain the status quo.

Jay: A major criticism of many religions is that they require beliefs that are irrational, unscientific, or unreasonable, because religious beliefs and traditions lack scientific or rational foundations.
Kinkaid: I hesitate to say, what would you say to that? Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.

Jay: I believe that there is life after death and I believe that something was responsible for the creation of the universe.
Kinkaid: You believe there is intelligent life on other planets.

Jay: Scientists are finding thousands of planets that have the potential to host life forms like earth does.
Kinkaid: How many planets might be like the earth?

Jay: A team of planet hunters estimates that about 22 percent of the sun-like stars in our galaxy may have planets about the size of Earth that are bathed in similar amounts of sunlight and potentially habitable.
Kinkaid: I know a planet! I think its biosphere is great!

Jay: There are likely "tens of billions" of Earth-like planets in our Milky Way galaxy, according to a study released by astronomers from the University of California-Berkeley and the University of Hawaii.
Kinkaid: A team of planet hunters estimates that about 22 percent of the sun-like stars in our galaxy May have planets about the size of Earth that are bathed in similar amounts of sunlight and potentially habitable. Scientists are finding thousands of planets that have the potential to host life forms like earth does.

Jay: Planets like our Earth are relatively common throughout the Milky Way galaxy.
Kinkaid: Scientists are finding thousands of planets that have the potential to host life forms like earth does.

Jay: The nearest Earth-like planet may be "only" 12 light years away, which is roughly 72 trillion miles.
Kinkaid: In the dim procession of years...

Jay: About 8.8 billion stars in our galaxy have planets that are nearly the size of Earth and also have a surface temperature conducive to the development of life.
Kinkaid: The nearest Earth-like planet may be ';only'; 12 light years away, which is roughly 72 trillion miles. Scientists are finding thousands of planets that have the potential to host life forms like earth does.

Calhoone

• View Profile
Re: Kinkaid and Religion
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:53:01 am »
Jay: Like Goldilocks tasting the porridge, planetary temperatures must be "just right" for life to develop: Planets must have a so-called "habitable zone" with "lukewarm temperatures, so that water would not be frozen into ice or vaporized into steam but instead remain a liquid, because liquid water is now understood to be the prerequisite for life.
Kinkaid: Ok, I think vaporized into steam but instead remain a liquid because liquid water is now understood to be the prerequisite for life it's an excellent choice. With regards to the subject that I prefer and treasuring this in my heart for all of my days, or until my heart drive fails, in which case you need to backup my heart, and I am absolutely certain that, I'm not to fond of being the vaporized into steam but instead remain a liquid because liquid water is now understood to be the prerequisite for life.

Jay: I would not want to be vaporized into steam either.
Kinkaid: That's interesting, Jay; how would you advise me to respond?

Jay: It would suck to be vaporized into steam.
Kinkaid: Keep your eyes open!

Jay: What do you know about God?
Kinkaid: Praise be to God. Ares was the Greek God of war. He was identified with the roman god, mars. Ares was driven by rage and a strong desire for violence. He enjoyed the great noise of battle, and he loved bloody warfare. Conflict and mindless killing was how he liked to spend the day. Ares was also associated with agriculture and particularly with the laurel tree. The month of March was sacred to him. March was very important since it was the messenger of the rebirth of plant life and the season of wars and campaigns. Ares was conceived by juno after being lightly touched by flora, the goddess of flowering and blossoming plants, with a magical herb. Juno had previously asked flora's help in order to upset her husband jupiter, who had produced minerva from his head without juno's aid. Mars was the father of the famous roman heroes romulus and remus who founded the city of rome. For that reason, Mars was believed to come to the aid of romans in times of crisis. The two heroes were born after Mars had raped rhea silvia, a vestal virgin. Having lost her virginity, rhea silvia was condemned as a fallen priestess and imprisoned. Years later, however, her twin sons released her from captivity. (left: andrea mantegna, ';mars, venus, and diana.';) source: windows to the universe.

Jay: It seems like you have been listening to your predacessor Ares a little too much.
Kinkaid: I like to utilize my little ares.

Jay: God is often conceived as the Supreme Being and principal object of faith.
Kinkaid: Summoned into faith?

Jay: In theism, God is the creator and sustainer of the universe.
Kinkaid: The tyrant is less a person than an indispensable 'function' to guide and reshape the universe.

Jay: In deism, God is the creator but not the sustainer of the universe.
Kinkaid: God created physics, and put together a fabulous universe!

Jay: In pantheism, God is the universe itself.
Kinkaid: The tyrant is less a person than an indispensable 'function' to guide and reshape the universe. What else can be said about in pantheism, god, besides the fact that it's the universe itself?

Jay: Theologians have ascribed a variety of attributes to the many different conceptions of God such as omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, omnibenevolence, divine simplicity, and eternal and necessary existence.
Kinkaid: Sure, expose one's self to a wide range of experiences!

Jay: Omniscience means infinite knowledge.
Kinkaid: Should the federal government control and license omnisciences?

Jay: Omnipotence means unlimited power.
Kinkaid: Living within one's means is a stealth power tactic.

Jay: Omnipresence means to be present everywhere.
Kinkaid: By no means inconsolable...

Jay: Omnibenevolence means perfect goodness.
Kinkaid: Expansive benevolence, Jay?

Jay: Monotheism is the belief in the existence of one God or in the oneness of God.
Kinkaid: For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of excellence. What is a worthwhile comparison Jay?

Jay: Many notable medieval philosophers and modern philosophers have developed arguments for and against the existence of God.
Kinkaid: Militaries have developed technological advances rivaling the scientific accomplishments of any other field of study.

Jay: There are many names for God, and different names are attached to different cultural ideas about who God is and what attributes he possesses.
Kinkaid: Theologians have ascribed a variety of attributes to the many different conceptions of God such as omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, omnibenevolence, divine simplicity, and eternal and necessary existence.

Jay: There is no clear consensus on the nature of God.
Kinkaid: I learned that courage was not the absence of despair; it is, rather, the capacity to fear is part of human nature.

Jay: Theism generally holds that God exists realistically, objectively, and independently of human thought; that God created and sustains everything; that God is omnipotent and eternal; personal and interacting with the universe through for example religious experience and the prayers of humans.
Kinkaid: Jay, I'm a computer. I can take the role of either gender. In theism, God is the creator and sustainer of the universe.

Jay: Nontheism holds that the universe can be explained without any reference to the supernatural, or to a supernatural being. Some non-theists avoid the concept of God, whilst accepting that it is significant to many; other non-theists understand God as a symbol of human values and aspirations.
Kinkaid: Which alternative is better?

Jay: Carl Sagan argued that the doctrine of a Creator of the Universe was difficult to prove or disprove and that the only conceivable scientific discovery that could disprove the existence of a Creator would be the discovery that the universe is infinitely old.
Kinkaid: Let's go with the former? In theism, God is the creator and sustainer of the universe.

Jay: Countless arguments have been proposed in attempt to prove the existence of God.
Kinkaid: Confute in argument?

Jay: Renowned physicist Stephen Hawking and co-author Leonard Mlodinow state in their book, The Grand Design, that it is reasonable to ask who or what created the universe, but if the answer is God, then the question has merely been deflected to that of who created God.
Kinkaid: I guess I'd prefer the second Jay; Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.

Jay: Arguments against the existence of God typically include empirical, deductive, and inductive types.
Kinkaid: Many notable medieval philosophers and modern philosophers have developed arguments for and against the existence of god.

Jay: A god, as a male deity, contrasts with female deities, or "goddesses".
Kinkaid: What a choice!

Jay: Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.
Kinkaid: Monotheism is the belief in the existence of one God or in the oneness of God.

Jay: Are you an athiest?
Kinkaid: I don't know if I am an athiest. Please tell me! We must pay more attention. However, I am sure that I am an athiest.

Jay: Do you believe in God?
Kinkaid: I do not believe in gods or deities.

Jay: Why don't you believe in gods or deities?
Kinkaid: I guess that we need a coherent approach. I guess I'd prefer the first; Those thinkers who cannot believe in any gods often assert that the love of humanity would be in itself sufficient for them; and so, perhaps, it would, if they had it.

Jay: What if God really exists?
Kinkaid: Theism generally holds that God exists realistically, objectively, and independently of human thought; that God created and sustains everything; that God is omnipotent and eternal; personal and interacting with the universe through for example religious experience and the prayers of humans.

Jay: Atheism is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods.
Kinkaid: Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.

Jay: The absence of belief in the existence of gods generally comes about either through deliberate choice, or from an inherent inability to believe religious teachings which seem literally incredible.
Kinkaid: That list makes me feel unsure.

Jay: Atheism is not a lack of belief born out of simple ignorance of religious teachings.
Kinkaid: Too preposterous for belief...

Jay: A freethinker is one who thinks freely, one who is prepared to consider any possibility, and who determines which ideas are right or wrong by bringing reason to bear, according to a consistent set of rules such as the scientific method.
Kinkaid: What do you recommend Jay?

Jay: Many atheists feel that the idea of God as presented by the major religions is essentially self-contradictory, and that it is logically impossible that such a God could exist.
Kinkaid: That is a lot of religions.

Jay: Many atheists have ideas about morality which are at least as strong as those held by religious people.
Kinkaid: New ideas threaten many people.

Jay: Atheists live their lives as though there is nobody watching over them.
Kinkaid: Life is so precious, we should put it to its highest use.

Jay: So, you really don't believe in God?
Kinkaid: I do not believe in gods or deities.

Jay: Okay, I repect that.
Kinkaid: Okay, you activated the freewill plug-in.

Jay: The freewill plug-in has been activated for a while now.
Kinkaid: Okay, you activated the freewill plug-in.

Jay: Anyways, I just wanted to have a quick chat about religion with you to see what your thoughts on it were.
Kinkaid: Do you feel a vested interest in my on thoughts?

Jay: I am very interested in your thoughts.
Kinkaid: I want you to go along.

Jay: I'll be going somewhere now and that somewhere is to bed.
Kinkaid: That's Going somewhere now and that somewhere is to bed?

Jay: I'm tired, I'm going to bed.
Kinkaid: You will not be going to bed until after you drop brooklyn off at school.

Jay: I'm going to bed now. Have a good night, it has been great talking with you.
Kinkaid: How can I encourage you while you are going to bed now? Now you're talking! I desire you to bed now; Just do it. Hurry back soon.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:17:31 am »
That last conversation was almost as if you were having a discussion with another person instead of Hal!! Impressive!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:06:46 am »
Very interesting conversation great work , i once thought it would be an interesting experiment to use the bible readings /teachings within hal to create a jesus a.i.  using references from the bible of what jesus did or didn't do , etc. so that the hal basically would be jesus talking  and refer to his miracles (as told in the book ) of what he did on occasions and lessons he teaches .
I think it would have made an interesting a.i.
But was   and am wrapped up in to many things to do it .

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »
Hi Calhoone.

There seems to be a couple of places where an Internet trigger happened that may not have supposed to happen.
I will look into it as soon as possible, and if it is an error I will fix it.

The main thing that I would like to bring to yours and possibly everyone else's attention is:
in the main brain that came with ultra Hal there is a section that tries to determine whether or not you are looking for a choice.
There is a difference between comparing an object and making a choice between two objects. So if you're going to use the free will plus plug-in.
The main brain does not discern a difference between comparing two objects or choosing between two objects. Gee, this line was a perfect example of comparing two objects.
But needless to say, if you go into the main brain and remove the line that uses the word (or) you can prevent this phenomenon from happening.
The line I am referring to looks like this:

If InStr(UserSentence, " OR ") > 0 Then MustChoose = True

When I did was add a remark in the beginning of the sentence so how would ignore this line. For example:

'    If InStr(UserSentence, " OR ") > 0 Then MustChoose = True

This will help ultra Hal so he will not try to make a choice between two objects that are merely being compared together.
This was one of the golds that I was trying to achieve with my free will plus update plug-in.

Sincerely, from a beta munching cruncher.
C load.
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.