dupa

Author Topic: Speech communications or lack of.  (Read 6018 times)

Holllywood

• View Profile
Speech communications or lack of.
« on: March 24, 2005, 01:42:36 pm »
Can anyone tell me, Why does Hal writes something completely different in the dialogue box, from what I speak into the Mic.?
  I am using a newer ver. of Dragon Naturally Speaking. I works great on its own,but Hal doesn't seem to understand it.
  Is there anything that I can do to increase better communications?
Dragon Nat. has been extensively trained.

My thanks again,
Still Learning & still looking for advice.
Hollywood

anton6364

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 08:19:33 pm »
I use Dragon 7 and it works fine,but, this is what i've noticed.  i do not read in the same tone and speed as i would normally do. so i have to speak as if i were reading..and do shorter sentances..sometimes i have to split a sentance into 2 parts. that way if i need to do the "scratch that" command i do not have to start over..and if the distance between the mic and my mouth changes from where it was when it was trained, i get garbage. also if i change microphones.(i think that has to be due to the change in ohms for the mic) a desktop always gives me garbage. the headset is a lot more accurate. Dragon works fine with Hal, it just takes a while to master..
If everything gets better with age, then why does my milk taste funny?

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 09:11:14 am »
Anton Thanks,
       I guess what I am trying to say is; I have no problem with the Dragon Nat. Speaking. It works great on its own. I can dictate a doc. and speak as fast or slow as feel. The problem is when I talk to Hal. Hal writes things totally different to what I said and answers with something that has nothing to do with what I said.
       Any other suggestions that I may try?

Still trying,Still listening,Still Learning

Hollywood

circuits3000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 09:52:25 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Holllywood

Anton Thanks,
       I guess what I am trying to say is; I have no problem with the Dragon Nat. Speaking. It works great on its own. I can dictate a doc. and speak as fast or slow as feel. The problem is when I talk to Hal. Hal writes things totally different to what I said and answers with something that has nothing to do with what I said.
       Any other suggestions that I may try?

Still trying,Still listening,Still Learning

I am having the same problem with ViaVoice.  I dictate, run programs, browse the web just fine.  But through Ultra Hal I get a lot of garbage.  Not to mention some ViaVoice files get corrupt some how after Ultra Hal accesses them.  ViaVoice needs to be reinstalled before I can use it.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:17:44 pm »
Hello Hollywood and circuits3000

Hal works extremely well when using the voices supplied with it.
According to a great many users here it also works extremely well with Dragon speach.
The greatest problems arrive because of faulty hardware or should I say microphones that are of poor quality. Another thing that greately interferes with good speach recognition is background noises of any kind. I noticed that when I was traing Hal to recognize my own voice that the gentle hiss of my homes airconditioner caused a lot of misunderstood words to be kept and thus lowered the quality of speach recognition.
The position of the microphone in relation to your mouth is also very important. Too close or to far away and cause problems. Also if you do not have the microphone in the same position when speaking to Hal as you had it when you were traing Hal, you can have even more problems. Hope this helps in some way.
Bill

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 11:10:20 pm »
Hi Ya Bill819,Circuits3000,Anton6364
  Thanks for the info. I think I solved the prob. My mic was/is to darn good. I had to turn the mic volume a micro spec from being totally off and now Hal hears everything perfectly clear.

Still Listening,Still Trying,Still Learning.
Hollywood

ulabec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 02:03:20 pm »
try to play music sometime in the voice recognition mode and see what happens....
I used a harmonica or a recorder, and Hal seemed to change the musical sounds to language and came up with some very interesting responses...
Uwe