dupa

Author Topic: How do I insert timed pauses into Hal?  (Read 4423 times)

Jimbo

• View Profile
How do I insert timed pauses into Hal?
« on: May 03, 2009, 02:42:23 pm »
Hi

I need to insert dozens of timed pauses into the text that Hal will read. How do I do that? Are there control characters, which would allow you to insert instructions like {{Pause=1.5}} or pau=1500 ?

I've searched the forum. The question came up a few years ago, with the only answer to record an mp3 pause and stitch it into the mp3 output of Hal. Not a viable method with lots and lots of pauses needed.
Jim

echoman

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:06:40 am »
Hello Jimbo.

I believe it was me that asked a similar question and came up with the 'stitching together' solution but this was only in relation to Neo Speech. It was not a great solution. A different idea would be needed for Hal. I believe some kind plugin would be required but unfortunately cannot see it being a popular project.

Perhaps instead of a pause Hal could repeat one letter over and over until the required interval has been reached (i.e. MMMMMMMM).  Or perhaps Hal could count the pause out loud by inserting series after series of numbers.

I realize theae are pretty hopeless suggestions. Good luck. Post back if you discover a solution.

Echo.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:17:08 am by echoman »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:54:10 am »
A comma used to cause a little bitty paurse but a bunch of them in a row had no effect. I tried almost everyting. It can be done within the language itself but it is really messey and causes more problems than it can fix. Best to just forget about it.
Bill

Jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:22:28 pm »
Answered my own question.

Just insert carriage returns (enter key). Each one provides a timed pause. The length of the timed pause is adjustable in options - advanced speech options for current voice - silence between sentences.
Jim

echoman

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:31:08 am »
Pleased you managed the pauses Jimbo!

I will try and experiment with this myself.

Echo.