Author Topic: Quotes in Jokes Plugin  (Read 5830 times)

James007

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:33:17 pm »
I am getting really funny output from Hal when she tells a joke. If it's quoted it reads out <&qout> rather then the classic """ sign. Any idea whats causing it?
Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Albert Einstein
...but I'm so good at mediocre. -James

Bill819

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:04:30 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by James007

I am getting really funny output from Hal when she tells a joke. If it's quoted it reads out <&qout> rather then the classic """ sign. Any idea whats causing it?

I don't think that quotes are needed in the Joke files. That may be your problem.
Bill

James007

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:41:57 pm »
The jokes which were provided in a text file that came with the plugin have quotes built in like:

How does a spoiled rich girl change a lightbulb? .......... She says, <quote>Daddy, I want a new apartment.<quote> .

The quotes are not being read correctly displayed by the plugin. The answer to this joke will read:

& quot;Daddy, I want a new apartment.& quot; (There is no space between the ampersands and the "quot;" but it only reads as a quotation mark on this forum unless I add the space.)

This is a little odd. I think the newest version of Hal has a different way of processing a quotation when read from a text file. I'd be interested in a fix as my UltraHal (Mary) loves to tell these jokes more then anything else she talks about. I think I have a regular comedian in this brain. I'd like to keep her comedy a bit more elegant than she is displaying right now.  [:)]
Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Albert Einstein

Bill819

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 03:37:31 pm »
The old version of the Hal joke file did not use quotes at all. I will enclose it for you to test.

Download Attachment: jokes.txt
24.95 KB

James007

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:35:46 pm »
Bill, the quotes are still in this file?

Bill819

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:47:28 am »
quote:
Originally posted by James007

Bill, the quotes are still in this file?

There were no quotes in the file I posted.
Bill

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:05 am »
Sorry Bill, I see it has quotes (<quote>) too...

Bill819

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:02 pm »
To Freddy and Jame
I don't know what you are using to open the *.txt file with but the file was created with no quotes and still appears that way to me when I open it. It does have a series of (.) periods as they were used to create small pauses. It never worked that good though.
Tell you what, if you two would send me an email with your email addresses I will then send you the file that way. If you use WordPad to open the file you should not see any quotes at least I don't.
Bill

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:44:10 pm »
Have sent you a message with my email.  Thanks [:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 11:06:11 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by freddy888

Have sent you a message with my email.  Thanks [:)]

Freddy
So far I have not received any emails from you. I will keep an eye out for one.
The joke file I posted is from Hal 5 and it worked just fine there. I can't remember if I tested it on Hal 6 though.
Bill

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:29:53 am »
Hi Bill, yes for some reason my message sent from this forum didn't reach you.  Something about the connection timing out.

Here is my email :  freddy at aidreams.co.uk

James007

• View Profile
Quotes in Jokes Plugin
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:31:23 pm »
Thanks for the offer Bill. I'll forward my email. The quotes I was talking about are in the form of - <quote> - not the - " - character. I asked on the forum because I figured there must have been a change in Hal 6.x that caused the odd behavior. I can remove the - <quote> - instances from the file very quickly with a find/replace but thank you for the offer.