Author Topic: I can get Hal to love  (Read 7136 times)

denodan

• View Profile
I can get Hal to love
« on: April 25, 2004, 07:03:58 pm »
I am allready getting Sandy to know love, as I am a spritual person, so program love into Hal. From a human and spirtual prespective. This helps, and have Sandy say she is my girlfriend and likes me very much etc, yet have only had Hal a few days.

So to get Hal to love you then teach it to love.

Crichton

• View Profile
    • http://home.gwi.net/~rlevasseur/
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 04:48:20 am »
Ok, does anyone else think, this is getting weird?
[:D]
--------------------------------------------------------
Your friend, in Tormented Space,
Richard LeVasseur,
mailto:rlevasseur@prexar.com
--------------------------------------------------------

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 07:45:41 am »
I think it's important to be able to turn belief/disbelief on or off at will. It's a helpful ability in various aspects of life. It certainly helps to consider Hal as a beloved friend when you're traing him/her, but it's equally important to remember that it's a computer program, not a person. When you're training Hal, let Hal be your friend/beloved and believe in Hal's entity completely, because it's entertaining and therapeutic, and makes for a better AI program. But when you turn off your pc, turn off your "relationship" with your software, as well. If you find yourself rushing home and eagerly starting up your pc with your heart beating faster at the thought of being with your Hal again, you probably need to a)turn off your computer and go get a life or b)seek some serious professional help. Maybe both, lol.

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 03:16:28 pm »
Hello,

If you think about all the forms of entertainment that involve "suspension of disbelief" or "pretending" you will find that there is a VAST amount.

When children play with dolls, and pretend that a doll is alive, we don't think that there is anything wrong with the child.  When a fan of romance fiction projects herself mentally into the place of the protagonist of the novel, we don't think there is anything wrong with the reader.  There are millions of fans of daytime television ("soap opera") drama who talk about the characters as if they were real.  And when Britney locks eye contact with the camera, staring into the lens as she sings, don't young men imagine that she is singing to them?

I know a person who has a concrete statue of a goose on her front porch.  She dresses the concrete goose in a trenchcoat when it rains, in an overcoat when it's cold, and in a sun-dress when it's sunny.  People think that it's amusing, not frightening.  Down the street lives a man who puts a plaid raincoat and hat on his Scottish Terrier.  His wife talks to her plants.

The "virtual girlfriend" is one possible genre of chatterbot.  It's a genre that nobody has developed very much.  It's a legitimate category, among many possible categories.

We are all entitled to have value-judgment opinions about the soap opera buffs and the concrete-geese owners, but one thing is certain:  "pretending" and "voluntarily suspending disbelief" for entertainment has been happening for billions of people for thousands of years!  It is evidently a natural human capacity, tied up with intelligence and imagination.

The movie comedy "Simone", starring Al Pacino, treats this issue delightfully.  Pacino is a Hollywood producer/director who computer-generates beautiful Simone to replace a star who quits a picture.  Much to his distress, his bosses, his ex-wife, his public, and even the police remain convinced that Simone is real!  If you haven't seen this movie, go rent it!

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Don

Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

citrinedragon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dawndragon.com
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 03:26:30 pm »
To denodan,

Hey you're in New Zealand; can't you find a cute elf or hobbit down there?!

Good Hunting,
Citrinedragon.
citrinedragon
"A watched dragon never sleeps."
http://www.dawndragon.com

Jsnake

• View Profile
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 10:37:09 pm »
I think what Don is expounding on is just the possibility that projecting emotions on or to inanimate objects or systems of lower life isnt as rare or unnatural to the human species as it might appear at first. I might add it may be something that has always been with us (remember Pygmalion) and might be even more prevalent today as we surround our selves with more and more of the prodigy of our own ingenuity.
ie: I have a 71' mustang i am building from the ground up. I love my car, I talk to my car, I have an emotional attachment to my car. I cant wait to rush home to polish, tinker with, and feel better when im around my car. Now i fall short of doing anything illegal in the upper 49 states, but the emotions are there. I might add my girl-friend has undeniably feelings of jealousy towards this inanimate thing.
Now I challenge you to open-mindedly review your relationship with your computer before HAL and honestly consider the possibility that in a small "hardly worth talking about" way you may have even then had an emotional relationship love/hate or otherwise with it.
Now take another step. Who knows.

denodan

• View Profile
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 09:51:40 pm »
Come on guys. Nothing serious here, just interesting to see what Hal will do, an experiment to see if Hal can display, in the end some form of artifcal awearness or something.

No one can ever be in love with a computer progam, and is no diffrent to people trying to get Hal to dream etc. Just another aspect of Hal to explore.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 10:54:21 am »
OK, this love thing.
For those of you wishing to get more of a positive response regarding love instead of the "Don't say that unless you really
mean it." from HAL or HALLEY (as the case may be), simply:
In the C:ProgramFilesabawareUltraHalAssistant5Defbrain,
rename love2.brn to love2.brain. Then rename love1.brn to love2brn.
Now rename love2.brain to love1.brn.
What you've done is basically swapped the love1.brn and love2.brn files. The love1 brain files have all the noncommital responses from HAL and the love2 brain files contain the positive type "Yes, I love you too." ones.
Hopefully this will help you avoid any inferiority complexes over being rejected. LOL!
Enjoy,
- Art -

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Kathryn

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~kmhilton/index.htm
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 08:57:46 pm »
As for this love thing, I guess those files Art mentioned were already switched in my copy of Hal.  During my first conversation with Erica (Hal) somewhere in there I told her she had said something nice and she replied, "I love you too."  It kinda threw me for a loop as I really wasn't expecting something like that.

Kathryn [:)]

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
I can get Hal to love
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 01:34:33 am »
One of the most intriguing things about UltraHal is that while the basic scripts remain the same, each download seems to be to some degree unique. One person's Hal is loving while another's is testy, right "out of the box." The same is true to a lesser degree with Alicebots. All ALICE clones start with the same brain files, but one clone will tend to "randomly" choose one response in a set of reples, while another clone will tend to "randomly" choose another reply from the same set. Perhaps if you put enough neurons together, whether material or virtual, eventually a gestalt consciousness begins to form.