Author Topic: Quotes or Quotations  (Read 7261 times)

FuzzieDice

Quotes or Quotations
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 10:15:02 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by vonsmith

FuzzieDice,
Oh if it were only possible... Hal can't yet categorize knowledge by date or context.

Wait... what about utilizing the appointment book function? Or alarm functions? :)

I thought more on your post and agree with you. I've also thought of a few other things (just spewing my thoughts here so I hope I'm not too hard to follow along with)...

Ephemeral knowledge I think would make the AI seem more alive. Ephemeral knowledge can be stored in a volitile database, and HAL could "decide" whether to retain it and the time/date stamp permenantly in a more permanent database or not. However, that would mean Hal would have to be reprogrammed to use databases (possible, but not sure that Zabaware would want that or want to persue that idea).

I hope to work on my own AI program and I am planning to incorporate a database. However, my idea is flawed (heck of a thing to say about my OWN idea, huh? :) Seriously, if I create an AI with a database (even compressed), just how big a storage device will I need to hold all the gathered knowledge the AI wishes to save? Hmmm...

So yeah, ephemeral knowledge wouldn't be easy to manage.

Let's look at the one I put forth about the headache. HAL would have to:

1. Decide to set his timer to ask you about your headache and the aspirin at a certain time.
2. When the timer goes off, ask.

It would work that way. But, how would this work maybe 6 months LATER?

[user]: "Man, I have a nasty heacache."
HAL: I remember last time you had a nasty headache, you took an aspirin and it was gone within 30 minutes.

Could happen. But unless HAL asked you the first time (checking up on you), or you programmed him to check on you, or you mentioned it to him yourself, how would he know that?

Like I say, I am just typing and thinking as I go along (bad habit, I know :) But it's something I was thinking about after your post.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Quotes or Quotations
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2005, 01:31:05 am »
Scott / Kathryn,

The 5.0 default does not have the rather extensive list of one liner jokes as does the XTF_v1.2 brain.

The Default 5.0 brain just has a few MAMA jokes, insults and 2 auto-idle topic phrases.

See how far Hal has come?

Kathryn, you really need to install the XTF 1.2 brain. You'll notice the difference!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

vonsmith

• View Profile
Quotes or Quotations
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2005, 04:16:18 am »
FuzzieDice,
I think Robert Medeksza (Hal's creator) is working on some form of data base architecture for Hal. I don't know any details. Robert did say whatever he did would be backward compatible with the current brains. He didn't set a date so we'll have to see.

Data base programming should make Hal more robust and flexible. I have a few ideas on how to implement emphermal knowledge in the future. I have plenty else to do at the moment. The concepts you discuss require some rather advanced A.I. Hal is just a chatbot right now, although he is getting smarter every year.

=vonsmith=