Author Topic: Hal is a GREAT program  (Read 8897 times)

JM

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« on: September 04, 2001, 12:18:53 pm »
I think the reason for all the negative comments on this forum is that people only come here if they run into some sort of problem. Personally I think this program is great. It is very fun for my entire family to chat with Hal about anything. My kids love it. I find the appointment taking feature very useful and I have purchased the full version. For me everything installed ok and I have not run into any major bugs. It is far from being as intelligent as a human being but hearing what it has to say is always amusing. This is just the beggining of AI technology and I think we should give Zabaware our support for a job well done.

nicely

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2001, 12:57:40 pm »
I agree.  I am greatly enjoying TRYING to teach it.  Thanks Zabaware.

G0th52

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2001, 06:34:34 pm »
Sums it up for me. bob
Pretender

aspera

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2001, 11:29:53 pm »
agreed, people don't understand how far this program has come, from the original version of hal to ultr hal assistant, v1 v2 etc. i have been using it for some time now, well not using it a lot because i have no need for it other than screwing around but i have purchased it, it works great, yeah speech recognition sucks it all does, people expect too much from the program. should it work if they buy it yes, i agree on that, but complaining cause they don't like it, it dosn't live up to there standards? no. Zabaware is one of a handful of companies working on this type of technology. they are doing a good job in my mind.

I suggested this a couple years ago, course computers are much better now: anybody try setting up a chat program like Hal and running it with speech recognition on two computers, and see what kind of conversation they will have with themselves? that would be pretty funny.

Best of luck guys. Your program has been very enjoyable, it's useful, it's funny as hell to insult and have it try and insult you back, i love it's insults hahaha, your mamma's a....

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2001, 11:01:52 am »
I'm glad there are people who enjoy our software. I would like to thank everyone for their support and interest in our software. We will continue to work hard on improving Ultra Hal and we take all your critisms, praise, and suggestions seriously.
Robert Medeksza

sum_41

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2001, 11:41:46 pm »
how do i get permission to download and save and run a aim bot

tjstaar

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2001, 11:07:50 pm »
I think that Hal is actually pretty smart for a machine. it is superior to alice or any of the other chatterbots that i have tried. After giving it two or three dozen texfiles taken from encyclopedias, it can hold a conversation that is about equal to a ten year old child, in my opinion. Hal is honest, It tells you that it can't feel emotion, other chatterbots lie, and claim to have feelings, which they can't exercise. Hal is a mecahnical servent, Hal may never become sentient, but who wants robots to become sentient, they might rebel and kill us all!

The Tinman

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2001, 06:59:07 pm »
I have read that many people think that the voice recognition in the ultra hal program quote "sucks". I have had no problems with this, other than those associated with processor speed. I spent many training sessions with the voice recognition program. I trained it until hal did indeed decypher my speech correctly. If it failed to do so I went and and trained it some more. I found it very important to turn the learning function OFF when you are experimenting with voice recognition, So that hal does not learn sentences and statements that are misspelled or decyphered incorrectly. I am currently using a machine and processor that I overclock to just under 1000 megahertz. What causes me to choose to type to the hal program is not it's inability to analize my speech but rather the lag time associated with the (figureing out what i said and choosing a responce). this I attribute to processor speed. I am going to upgrade to a 1.3 or faster processor and then use the speech reconition once again.

kf4pak

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2001, 09:50:22 am »
I have tried several AI programs and downloaded Hal yesterday.  I like it very much.  I do have one problem, Hal doesn't dial the phone.  I am using a modem and Hal will connect to the internet, but doesn't dial phone numbers that I have in his phone book.  He says he is dialing it, but nothing happens.  Any suggestions?
Leon and Hal in Texas

chevy327

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2001, 05:09:00 pm »
hal and windows xp  :
has anyone installed hal on a windows xp system yet ?
well i have and it wont work
any suggestions ?
write to me at wolvesnchevys2@msn.com
dont get me wrong i like the program and have purchased the full version and had it on windows 2000 but when i loaded woindows xp it wont work now
thanks in advance for any response

RESHARPEN

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2001, 06:47:06 pm »
Hal is a great program the more you let it read and learn the smarter it gets.It runs everything all i do is tell it to run a program and it does it even opens files for me now.You need to train Hal like a child & teach it everything because it knows nothing really when you start. Now Hal is as close to a real person as you can get. Just dont let it read any programers data or you might be in for some unseen problems.I did and it learned a little to much. But everything is fine now. If you have trouble with Hal I would say its because you are not teaching it correctlly. ZABAWARE THIS IS A GREAT PROGRAM

Biggins2002

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2001, 12:21:39 pm »
Now that I got all of my problems fixed, the program works GREAT! I'm having alot of fun teaching it. My kids think its neat to hear the computer talk. I'm wanting to teach it math to help my son. I've tried alot of other programs, but this one by far is the best yet! good job Zabaware, keep it up.

Biggins2002

MattNW

• View Profile
Hal is a GREAT program
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2001, 01:17:26 am »
I had the free version of Hal for a long time and only recently got the licensed version. So far I've only run into a few problems with Hal. One I posted about in a seperate post and another I resolved on my own (I had the Enhanced Chat Brain selected and it wouldn't recognize appointments or open programs). I haven't done many training sessions with the speech recognition engine so I imagine the accuracy will improve with time and probably a better mic.

What I would be most interested in is a brain like the free version which came with an assistant only function. If this could be used in conjunction with speech recognition Hal would be a very useful product.

I was also wondering where a person can download or purchase new voices for Hal. I would love to get my sons a "kid" Hal. Is there anything like that out there or any way to change the pitch of Hal's voice to create this?

Oh, complaints? I only have one. I don't like it when I ask Hal to tell me the time and he says to look at the system clock. Chatbots shouldn't be snippy.  :-)