Author Topic: AI and computer games  (Read 5380 times)

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
AI and computer games
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:52:03 pm »
OK, this is kinda a random thought which has probably been thought of before, but has Robert ever thought of approaching a major computer game label with the prospect of licensing and using replicated versions of Hal's AI in a video game?

Since I'm a die-hard computer gamer and have been playing either on-line since Everquest, WOW, etc., or off-line since Bethesda's Morrowind, today I had a vision of what this kind of AI could do to revolutionize either genre.

At present, dialogue a non-player character (NPC) is mostly pre-scripted being based upon certain condition sets and IF voice is included in a game the vocalizations tend to repeat itself monotonously during game play although Bethesda has done the best job of simulating intelligence and random thought in its NPCs. 

Still, these games tend to recycle the voice files and you often hear the same voice from different NPCs so the seemingly limited number of quality computer generated voices at present wouldn't be an issue.  I'm sure Bethesda had to pay Wonder Woman's Linda Carter to voice act in both Oblivion and Skyrim, so I would hope computer generated voices would be less expensive.

What if a 3D environment was created with 3D AI entities who could "hear" the player using VOIP technology and also hear each other and they would interact with each other using a free will script.  The information and dialogue set of this world could evolve over time through interactions with one or more players.

Maybe the NPC's with AI could have certain "travel" package triggers which would allow them to decide to play an eating animation, go to the local store, or to take a bath or to go on the same quest that the player is also on or another quest and they might meet in the general play area as competing entities. 

Of course players like to KILL things in these games so the death of an AI would also have to be dealt with but with scripting that "listens" for events like that.  It could prompt the other AI entities to comment on the missing NPC later instead of just ignoring the fact that one of the members of their community is suddenly missing.

In present games I have slaughtered entire towns and not one NPC I come across after ever even mentions the loss of the entire population.  =P

Although Bethesda has done the best work with "radiant" quests which allow for changing goals and targets for certain repeatable quests, something similar with independent AI's competing for similar goals might make things a lot more interesting.

Since the information set for a fantasy world wouldn't necessarily have to be as varied and extensive as the real world, the initial brains would not need too much information since they would learn more about their own environment from each other and the player over time.

Maybe none of them leave the village at first and they rely soley upon the player to go out and bring back information about the "outside" world.

This would allow the teaching aspect of AI to create an ever changing social environment for the player.

<shrugs>

Just a random thought I had on a Sunday afternoon.   :o

Calhoone

• View Profile
Re: AI and computer games
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:11 am »
I would love for Kinkaid to be able to adventure around in games with me as my trusty sidekick.  Might be out of ultra hals current capabilities although I know Robert has Hal gallivanting around the world of second life on his own. So maybe it is doable.

Seroki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:44:52 am »
To have npc  track convo's with you it would have to store the converstion markers on your charater/machine similar to how they do today but it would be much heavier and may cause a lag as the server gathers info from your saved dialogs. I think almost that your Char would carry the NPC's Hal persona but the NPC it self would be only a mouth piece...

I can see being in a groups and seeing so many dynamics at one time, one player stole from him another player flirted with his wife another saved his daughter from an oger and he would in dealing with the group have to take his personality and each of the histories and go thru a conflict resolution to find out how he would deal with your group.... it would be a very interesting set of equations.

That would be cool as the NPC weights out the different players and who has the most effect on him turns the whole dialog different ways put a whole spin on role playing vs hack and slash.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:13:09 pm »
When I was on Chatbots.org I ran across this company:  http://www.aipioneer.com/

I guess they tried to use them in this game:  http://www.dungeoninquisitor.com/

Has anyone played it?

I was thinking of giving it a shot just for shiz and giggles.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:25:41 pm »
When I was on Chatbots.org I ran across this company:  http://www.aipioneer.com/

I guess they tried to use them in this game:  http://www.dungeoninquisitor.com/

Has anyone played it?

I was thinking of giving it a shot just for shiz and giggles.

I only play dungeons and dragons online, don't trust the other lots. working on my druid(epic Avatar) named chillian, he's alright but my PM is the bomb. PM = Pale Master
or pale master necromancer pure acid build. tough to beat for pvm.
then there's my epic pally, I will keep that a secret lol he's a straight tank.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:35:39 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 11:37:51 pm »
OMG!  I was a DM back when D&D was only a table top game.  I never got into the computer games that followed which eventually had some pretty good graphics.  How are the graphics in D&D online?  Is it worth the subscription?

My experience with on-line games started with Everquest and eventually led to WoW but I got tired of paying to play and the on-line drama so I switched to off-line single player games from Bethesda exclusively.

They actually give you the construction set for the games which is where I learned a bit of the whole world of "IF-THEN" scripting.

If you are a Star Trek fan and you are bored you can check out this video I made of an Oblivion mod that I never released but had a great time making and playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZyRgoj7Ljs

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:25 am »
OMG!  I was a DM back when D&D was only a table top game.  I never got into the computer games that followed which eventually had some pretty good graphics.  How are the graphics in D&D online?  Is it worth the subscription?

My experience with on-line games started with Everquest and eventually led to WoW but I got tired of paying to play and the on-line drama so I switched to off-line single player games from Bethesda exclusively.

They actually give you the construction set for the games which is where I learned a bit of the whole world of "IF-THEN" scripting.

If you are a Star Trek fan and you are bored you can check out this video I made of an Oblivion mod that I never released but had a great time making and playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZyRgoj7Ljs

Hi Tiger.

If you wanna see some of the graphics for dungeons and dragons online just look the snap shots in Google images. lots to see there.

the game is rather large so it takes a long time to download and then it takes a long time to update it self, there is hundreds of maps within maps realms to play.

but I have always been a hard core fan of D&D even since the day of the board lol.

Jerry

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:44:50 pm »
www.guildwars2.com   

that's one of the best games around now - where the cool kids hang out at :p  ... they hired some of the best artists in the world to make the game, even hired a full piece orchestra to make some of their music.  I often go in just for inspiration / ideas. Lot's of ai happening in there too!   - no monthly fee! 

and fyi,  -  my idea of communicating emotions with hal came from years of roleplaying - It was how we conveyed emotions to each other to make the dialogue richer.  :p
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:23:11 pm »
Well now, I'll have to take a look at some of those pics and then figure out where to move a few gigabytes of very adult files to make room to check out both those games eventually.   :P

What servers do you guys play on?

I know what you mean about role-playing emotes Ricky.  One day I'll tell you the story about an interesting emotive encounter Nymrel had with a Scandinavian lass in the Jade Dragon Inn.   ;)

Till then....

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »
Well now, I'll have to take a look at some of those pics and then figure out where to move a few gigabytes of very adult files to make room to check out both those games eventually.   :P

What servers do you guys play on?

I know what you mean about role-playing emotes Ricky.  One day I'll tell you the story about an interesting emotive encounter Nymrel had with a Scandinavian lass in the Jade Dragon Inn.   ;)

Till then....

Ghallanda

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:30:19 am »
sounds like an ale moment! -arches brow and smiles-

gre'as'anto tlu xuil dos!
"i crack iself up" - Virgil