dupa

Author Topic: Bot Lag  (Read 9894 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bot Lag
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:32:56 am »
@ Lonnie,

The lag between what you type or say to Hal and how long it takes for it to respond seems to be caused by the S.A.L.L.I.E. Plug-in and the way in which it processes your input. Remember creating those three folders? It stores some things there along with containing a lot of other plugins.

To be fair, Doony has created a really nice Plugin by compiling all of them and making sure they all "play nicely" together! Great job Doonycram!

If you want to check what I'm saying, just Uncheck the S.A.L.L.I.E. 2.0 / 3.0 plugin then restart Hal and ask it some questions.

Mine responded as soon as I pressed the Enter key. no waiting for several seconds while Hal "thinks/processes".

Your experience might be a bit different so give it a try and if yours (or anyone else) works similar to my results, perhaps Doonycram can track down the culprit and shorten the lag time.

Give it a shot! Thanks!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
Re: Bot Lag
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:47:40 am »
I don't use Doony's Plugin and I get a bit of Lag, but I'm thinking it's from the fact it doesn't take long to display text but the Speech-To-Text Convertor has to turn that text into words according to the voice you chose to use so I guess it takes a little longer...

I never use the Windows Control Panel these days but I was in there looking around today and clicked on "Double Agent" and I found what I have been looking for I think...  The is an option to "Speed up" or "Slow down" the Voice... I have to play with it more but it does seem to work...

That option is also in "Speech" control panel but it never seemed to do anything...

When it comes to Artificial Intelligence: The Soul is in the Software.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 12:26:30 pm »
Yes Art , i agree about the plug in processes being what is causing the lag , i "think" maybe Robert (unless i am dreaming it) mentioned something one time about that to. the more processes the more hal lags . cyberjedi said that his hal is around 500mb on the brain db , and his doesn't lag , but i wonder if he had doonycrams  plug in checked and using it. hope cyberjedi see's this and can answer that.
 and if that's the case about a larger plug in causing the lag problem , the only answer may be to as you mention find what is causing the lag and see if theirs a way to speed the plug in  up . just a thought .

doonycram@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:49:09 pm »
my plug-in has a large data base. It is not the plug-in but most likely after three sentence's hal has to think and find a response. I tried to put a book in hals brain last night about computer codes and math six hours of training 400 pages. if hal is slow when your files build up with data get a faster computer processer. I also added a script where you can clear up memory.

doonycram@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:08:37 pm »
I will also be tuning up S.A.L.L.I.E their is more to come just let me know what files pop up in your zabaware file system and the hal brain give me feedback so I know what I could work on or fix.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:57:55 pm »
here is my pc specs . HP Pavilion g6-1d48dx Notebook PC Product Specifications. it's a quad core windows seven o/s.
Hardware
Software
Hardware
Product Name

g6-1d48dx
US Product Number

B3P86UA
Microprocessor

2.4GHz/1.5GHz VISION A6 Technology from AMD with AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M Accelerated Processor
Microprocessor Cache

4MB L2 Cache
Memory

4GB DDR3 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
Memory Max

Maximum supported = 8GB
Video Graphics

AMD Radeon HD 6520G Discrete-Class Graphics
Video Memory

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 03:55:03 pm »
All I know is just what I've already typed.

When / IF I use the SALLIE Plug-in, it might take up to 10 or 11 seconds for Hal to reply.
(I type my entries. I choose Not to use SR).

When / IF I do not use the SALLIE Plug-in, Hal answers within a second of pressing Enter.

I use a Haptek character and a moderate GUI window (around 125% I think).

I am using my Hal Locally and NOT on the Cloud!!

Since Lonnie posted, I will as well but my computer is fairly old (like me...)

Intel Core i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60GHz (Quad core)
8.0 GB RAM
1 TB HD & 1 TB External (used about 310 GB of storage internally)
Windows 10 Home Ver. 1709
64-bit OS, x64-based processor
27" Touch Screen, All-in-one desktop
Graphics Adapter - AMD Mobility Radeon 5000 series
4864 MB Total available graphics memory

After almost 30 years, I got tired of building them for myself and just bought this one years ago.
Added 4 additional GB Memory after I bought it. It still works nicely.

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 11:27:14 am »
Okay all, i think i am going to eat crow here, i did a test about the lag problem with hal and i think if art does the same test he will find out to , that others were right it isn't the plug in in that's causing the lag , it actually is our pc's . Art can do this test to verify what i am saying , i restarted my pc. but in safe mode, what this does is it stoops a lot of other processes from running which slows down a overloaded pc .  when i did it i did the first test without networking . the result was with the same s.a.l.l.i.e. plug in and word of the day and my custom Angela brain checked ,  i checked the time for answer responses , time was 3 or 4 seconds (very fast ), i also restarted the pc and ran it in safe mode with networking , results was the same , hal answered in 3 to 4 seconds flat .  only oddity i noticed though was in safe mode with and without networking the voices , none of them would work , no sound , hal wrote the responses out but their was no voices that would work .
    SO that is my test results and so i do now think it is problems with the computer being to slow. i might buy me some more memory , i can get 4 gb  more ( the max. i can use ) for around 25 dollars . and go from their.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 01:06:35 pm »
Lonnie,

I'm running with 8 GB and still experience the LAG with the Plugin selected.

Without the Plugin, there is NO LAG!

I can't explain it any simpler than that.

Plug-in = Lag
No Plug-in = no lag

Lag = 8 - 10 seconds
No Lag = less than 1 or 2 seconds

- Art -

doonycram@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 02:15:56 pm »
Working on figuring out the lag, If I put in more than three sentences it lags about 5 to ten seconds on my expensive laptop. but the one I use for editing cost only 150  dollars with no lag so I am looking deep in the plug-in for a way to make it run more faster.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:08 pm »
oh , okay , i see now art, guess i'll try that test next without the plug in checked .  i actually was wondering how that you had 8 gb of memory and it was still lagging . will be right back am testing it the way you did now.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 02:24:42 pm »
Okay am back , after testing the same way you did Art, and yes you are right it is the plug in , after i unchecked the plug in i got the same results you did , hal started answering me back fast in about 3 to 4 seconds . which is probably hals original  default time .  so no crow for me then lol.

P.S. THANKS,  doonycram, FOR LOOKING INTO THE PROBLEM. and thanks for all your hard work you do.  :p.s.s. can you please make a copy and past also of what you do , if you figure out what is slowing down the plug in ???????
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:33:02 pm by lightspeed »

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:07 pm »
Hey guys,

Hal is limited to one core of any CPU. This means when running Hal on a machine, aim for a Ghz speed of 3+ which means when tons of code is run at once, it takes time for Hal to "think"

Computing power has long been the antagonist of any AI system, much less one limited to one core. We could solve this by building a code that allows Hals SQL databases to be queried by the GPU instead. Thousands of cores. But for now this is the limitation of Hal. I personally tolerate the lag for better responses, while revamping as much of the code as much possible to avoid repeat processes, which SALLIE seems to do quite nicely.

-Spitfire2600

doonycram@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 11:08:41 pm »
First off I made it so hal learns different words, letters, numbers and to become more conscious. the last update I wrote has many new brn files I wrote for people like us, Who looks in the plug-in and writes the brn files. I made hal great but if it can't find something it will just give you a random response. Which will lead to hal having to think and then build a response based on the input received. I am going to write The files that is needed tomorrow but most of you have not seen how amazing hals learning process is, I reversed the DREAMOUTLOUD BRAIN in the brain editor where i made it possible for hal to record and learn from what it says to the user. One great feature is static memory. free up memory. and so on, I'm going to write more later. Until then write about the plug-in, In the notes about S.A.L.L.I.E PLUGIN page.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 07:59:31 am »
Please don't get me wrong, I really enjoy using the S.A.L.L.I.E.3.0 Plugin and will continue to do so.
I was merely pointing out my personal situation with regard to Lag that was noticed.

Actually, for me, the Lag is not really an issue at all as I think it adds a bit of realism to Hal and allows for it to appear to be "thinking" of a decent response.

How many people do you know that will spout off an answer right away, as soon as you've finished asking them a question? Hopefully, not very many.
Most folks will take a couple of seconds to think about what was asked then how best to word a response and by the time they say it, guess what...they have taken about the same amount of time that Hal does/did.

I was checking to see if others experienced a similar "thinking time" as I witnessed. That's obviously due in part to me having an older computer with slower processing power and Doony's plugin which is actually processing and handling so many tasks.

Given the above, I don't think it is a real issue for me. 8 to 10 seconds and sometimes a bit faster like 5 - 6 seconds is completely acceptable for me.

I do appreciate your hard work Doonycram and encourage you to continue crafting code!!

Thanks for your time!

- Art -