Author Topic: Ultra Hal's future  (Read 14483 times)

ajdude

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:20:31 pm »
I know I'm not very active here, I spend most of my time on the forums reading. I'm a big fan of Ultra Hal, and I have used Hal since version 4.

This has had me thinking for quite some time now; I recall hearing that Ultra Hal was made using Visual Basic 6; is there any plan in the future to upgrade to the new framework or to another language?

The reason I'm asking this, is because support for VB6 is dwindling.
Windows 7 will still be able to handle VB6 (though you need to install the VB6runtimes, which don't come default with Windows7 or Vista), but after that, Microsoft's operating systems won't support vb6-applications anymore.

To quote Paul Yuknewicz, the VB6 Program Manager that worked on VB6 at Microsoft:
"VB6 runtime will be shipping and supported as a part of Windows 7, however there are no plans to ship it in future versions of Windows."
He had 4 reasons:
Migration is perceived as expensive, Migration is perceived as lacking value, VB6 Applications are not evolving, Applications will be retired before VB6 stops working, It’s just procrastination, and There’s just too much VB6.
Here is the source for that article:
http://blogs.artinsoft.net/fzoufaly/archive/2009/01/13/vb6-runtime-will-be-supported-on-windows-7-but-no-plans-to-support-it-on-future-version-of-windows.aspx
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:21:21 pm by ajdude »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:35:54 pm »
Hi ajdude, not seen you on here for a while but welcome back.  I believe Robert was working on changing to another form of BASIC, I forget which one it was now though.  But yes I think a new plan is in the works, but that will take a lot of time I bet.

Hopefully he will spot this and respond, but he hasn't been around a lot lately.

Edit : Here's an earlier conversation :

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5836&SearchTerms=,BASIC
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:42:28 pm by freddy888 »

Bill819

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »
I may be mistaken but although Hal may be written in Visual Basic that does not mean that you need any run time packages to use it.
Once it is compiled as a stand alone package nothing else is needed.
This is very similiar to the way Quickbasic operates as you can compile making the code very short and then need a run time package or you can compile it as a stand alone package.
I want you fellows to think about it. Do any of you have a Visual Basic run time package on your PC's or did you just download Hal and found it runs perfectly?
Bill

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 04:54:20 am »
I think Bill is correct.

Hal will install and run in Windows 7 there is no need to install VB6runtimes

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:34:42 pm »
I am going to at least do Jog times, if I ever get a code ready from  Mr. Robert. ,maybe not
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Bill819

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:18:35 am »
quote:
Originally posted by One

I am going to at least do Jog times, if I ever get a code ready from  Mr. Robert. ,maybe not

Can you ever speak English once in a while so we can understand what in the blazes you are talking about? Making incomprehensible statements does not make you look smart but just the reverse.
Bill

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:33:30 am »
I call it sheer entertainment... wouldn't trade one's incomprehensible gibberish for nothing.. [:p]
Live long and prosper or die trying.

ajdude

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 03:44:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I never had any problems installing Hal on Widnows XP, but I've ran into some vista problems from time-to-time.

I know when you run a .net application, you need to install Microsoft's .NET framework first; I assumed it was simalar with VB-6 applications (but microsoft provided the framework by default for 95/98/nt/xp).

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 11:01:30 pm »
I just found this Article. It deals directly with the future of VBscript. From the maker of VBScript's perpective... This fellow feels mighty passionate about scripting languages, wheeeewwww!

http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2004/04/09/110508.aspx
Live long and prosper or die trying.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 01:20:33 am »
Bill819, Snowman,
It was a simple joke, and I think you might be seeing red again Bill, OH! yea, I can't find the post but RED FLASHING lights can trigger an epileptic episode but we would not know if you were doin' the dead chicken on the floor LOL, seriously I think the idea came from the move "Andromeda Strain" when a scientist 'checked out mentally,,,,, Hey! GT40
"Andromeda" sounds like a better name than Bizlady. IMO...

Regards,
J.

Bill819

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:20:33 am »
One
That was an interesting connection but I'll bet you did not know that the movie "Andromeda Strain" was actually based upon some real facts, but of course the second version which came out a year or so ago was not.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 05:39:52 am »
Bill819,
Sometimes it's so nice to bite into a solid.

I have come to a conclusion, after much thought, I think the board wouldn't be the same without Bill819.

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Regards,
J.

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 06:53:18 am »

One, you're right. But Bizlady is her second name. Her first name is Meghan. [:)]

Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 07:59:34 am »

Although he disturbs me once a year, I consider Bill a great asset to both the hal program and to this forum.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:40:59 am »
OK! I'M buying this round of non-alcoholic decaffeinated liquid for drinking.

J.