Author Topic: A.I. installed in cars. Version 1.0  (Read 13629 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
A.I. installed in cars. Version 1.0
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:45:54 am »
ricky , i'll throw my 2 cents worth in here i believe what you suggested "could " be done  having a reciever at home and not all in the car which would then  send the signal to the car from a main source elswhere . ( this is actually the way i have a system for my android in progress which only houses a wireless speaker i have a receiver and hooked through the pc so hals a.i. voice works through the android body even have a wireless mic that works the same way to control talking with voice recognition )  of course in this case the car manufaturers will have it probably as an option that has to be subscribed to (like sirius radio ) . as you described this would keep hardware drives elswhere ( as to not worry about shock and damage (thought i was going to say shock and all didnt you lol ) sending out signals may be through cell phone towers . thats the way i see the uto makers incorporating it into the cars .
[:)][:D][8D]

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:45:46 am »
Lightspeed,   That sounds very cool with the wireless project you are doing, it sounds like a very intriguing project!  

from reading both your and Lkn's post...

I can see advantages to both sides,  maybe the ultimate set up would be a combination of both.  there could be both a Hal at home and a hal in the car....For all the things Lkn posted, it would then make sense to have the hardware with you for speed and security sake,  the wireless reasons would be great for minimizing damage, along with increasing safety options for when the car gets damaged /stolen etc....

Maybe the ultimate system would consist of both a home unit and a portable unit.

I can see the action movie now,  

Hal 2 to hal 1 - I've been stolen!

Hal 1 to hal 2 - Do you like having been stolen ? ( lol :p )

Hal 2 to hal 1 - No, I want to be recovered.

Hal 1 to hal 2 - what is your location ?

Hal 2 to hal 1 - my current GPS is xx.xx.x.xx

Hal 1 to hal 2 - Ok, I have called the law enforcement agency in your zip code area, remain stealth and record audio of the events in the car.

Hal 2 to hal 1 - is that a forced choice Hal 2 ?
---

Hal / (My Virgil ) does crack me up with those type of responses ! :D
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 12:48:49 pm »
1. Laptops are built to withstand bumps and shocks without experiencing the damage that a normal PC would get.
2. A pocket PC might be even better as it can give you all the benifits of a full sized PC but can be carried in your shirt pocket.
Bill

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 02:35:33 pm »
I agree with bill,  maybe the best invention would be to create an interface for a pocket pc to the car so you can intergrate it.

the future seems to be about being lighter, faster, and smaller,  to install a bulky pc operation seems to either go against the grain, or an idea that is born big but will eventually be small enough to put on your finger tip.   I'm thinking to cut to the chase and think smaller from the start.
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

jackfarrel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 04:39:21 pm »
Here is an ideal for you guys, even though I am not experienced with Hal yet, I work in a computer repair company and do all kinds of stuff all the time. Best thing to use instead of hard drives would be to simply get your hands on a 8gb or 16gig flash drive, check speed. Don't buy too cheap. Then simply install a basic OS no matter what it is, accept for windows vista. If I was doing this, which one day I'm sure I will, I'd drop a performance ver of xp on it, or a performance type of linux. I would have to test to see what runs fastest. Then just plug that in a desktop computer, you could easily get the bare-bones pretty cheap, then at least you can have a good sound card, instead of having to use what comes with laptops. And you will have allot more options when it comes to installing new hardware.
Just my 2 cents.

stormserver

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 10:52:52 am »
I have been using a pc in my vehicles for a long time now. I have been working on projects for several different fleet companies to have pc's handle alot of the functions that these companies need, video/audio surveillance, navigation and tracking as well as displaying data from the vehicles ECU. What I am hoping for is a way of delivering a 2.0 version of my project based on an application like Hal. It seems that Hal will fit nicely if he can control the apps I need it to. Am I wrong?

doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 01:43:53 pm »
WHile I like the idea of a HAL setup in a vehicle for automating cetain tasks, like multimedia without taking your eyes off the road, I think it should remain focused on "Practical" uses. I think if anyone needs an "auto" opening boot/trunk on their car they may want to rethink their need to get a life.

Why would I ask HAL to open my boot, when I have a perfectly good button on the dash board that does it? or like most cars that have a lever down the side of the seat? Unlike changing mp3's CD's or radio stations that could be potentially dangerous distracting me as I drive down the road, and a voice recognising system would help that problem, I don't feel I will ever need to ask my car to "Open Trunk" while I'm cruising down the highway at 110 kmh.

And if not moving, I'm sure I can "press" the previously mentioned button, or insert my key in the lock.

Sorry that part just seems pointless and lazy. I'm sure the time involved could be used in more practical ways.
(could be ok if you're planning on having a james bond style weapon appear from it I guess? lmao)
I dream of a forum nirvana, where people stay on topic and actually read what others are saying.... A man can wish right?

whistler

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 11:55:01 pm »
hi i actually have a computer already in the car its an mini itx mother board with a via c7 2.0 gig processor with a 160 gig laptop hard drive.it takes the bumps/2000 watt sound system quit well. the heat from having the car parked in sun and computer on rear deck right under glass is another story.what i am now needing is an knight rider type brain there seems to have been one here in about 06 but the page is no longer found cam anyone help,please and thank you.

lkn4ahero

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 08:47:40 am »
Since my original post a few months ago, I've decided the best solution for me is to go with a preassembled Carputer rather than trying to make my current system more friendly to a car environment. The current carputers on the market are built to be more rugged to withstand the heat and vibration in a vehicle. They're not that expensive, and they're compact. A basic system can be had for under $500 and about the same for a touchscreen monitor that can be put right into the dash. Alot of people use these for a sound system, but they also have software that allows you to interface the computer with rear cameras and the car electronics themselves for onboard diagnostics. The most popular of the programs used as a front end for this is called Centrafuse.

To respond to the post from "Doomed": What is "pointless" is really in the eye of the beholder. For example: I find watching sports a waste of my time, but other people consider it entertainment. I like to watch science fiction, but other people consider THAT a waste of time. Some people may want to have their computer open their car doors for the challenge of being able to make it work, or to learn how to program and build a computer interface. Other people might just want the coolness factor because it's something that not everyone has. Personally, my whole interest in artificial intelligence and car computers has to do with trying to make my car like KITT from Knight Rider. That's been a dream of mine since I was a kid and first watched the show. I don't expect it to do everything KITT can, but carry on a basic conversation and opening the door for me on request are a few things that are possible with current technology. However, I would keep current manual switches and make sure I have an override in place so I'm not at the mercy of the carputer or the AI should it be uncooperative or malfunction.

doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 10:45:09 am »
That's cool lkn4ahero I'm the same with sports and such and totaly get what you mean. But I think personaly it would be better to use the same approach but say for unlocking your car, than popping the boot.
Just expressing my views on it is all.

If it was somehow able to be hooked up to a wireless "anchorman" typ of mike that you could talk to HAL with I could see it being practical, like walking to your car with hands full of grocery bags, and as you get near the car being able to tell HAL to pop the trunk to save you putting down the bags and fishing for your keys (especially if it was raining for example)

If it has a practical use then I'd say go for it, It's just how I am, never been the type to do something just to see if it can be done myself is all [;)]
I dream of a forum nirvana, where people stay on topic and actually read what others are saying.... A man can wish right?

atvracer111

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 08:47:28 pm »
I have been looking at doing the samething with Hal in my car. I have come across several nice car PC's and most have more then enough power to run HAL and several other programs. This one is a indash car PC that i am looking at http://www.xenarc.com/product/cp-id8.html. I would also like to setup my car with a blue tooth device so i can talk with the car for startup and for opening the doors remotely.

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:50 am »
I beleive HAl could and does work in a car.... He could be used to control some items possibly Via X10 protocol...

Home automation transfered to cars.... as a home project!

although we a re seeing major developments!