dupa

Author Topic: Ultra Hal's future  (Read 14475 times)

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »
At least with One, Duskrider, GT40, Bill819, Datahopa, LS, Will,.. etc. I am not forced to stair at someone's butt while reading their posts...

[:I]

Thanks guys for caring.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:39:23 pm by snowman »
Live long and prosper or die trying.

snowman

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 01:56:41 pm »
I'm not trying to resurrect old tensions. But I do thank you guys for your respect.

[:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 01:56:55 pm »
That's not nice.
Bill [:D]

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 11:44:53 am »
HAl does work on Windows7 "Install as Administrator"
But Haptek is Giltchy....Haptek need to Upgrade their "Player"

But. We are waiting.....
MSAGENT <<< When installed is now NOT transparrent... this can be fixed but "SAVING THE VISTA VERSIONS" --- go to the windowsmsagent
copy this whole folder and replace the newley installed msagent.exe from microsoft... then when the msagent character files are run they are back to being transparent.

VB6 on windows 7....
50/50 It does work although there are problem with Certain control loading... giving all kinds of false errors .... This is probably best Left to an XP environment (use Virtualbox / VMware / Virtual PC)
this can really help a virtual pc on the desktop....until microsoft release a service pack then this will be one of the only ways to work/develope...

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 07:32:18 am »
I just got it, I have Windows 7 ultimate 64bit (Build 7600) its the final release being shipped to PC manufacturers, have all drivers in and the system is running fast and smooth so is Hal working?

Yes and No, installation went fine no problems but Hal really doesn't work with Haptek, I'm getting exactly the same very long lag problems that many have seen in Vista 64 bit, when I don't use a character Hal is working fine.

This is a little odd, I got Hal running perfectly in the beta of win 7 but this time no joy [xx(] it seems just the same as Vista, some times Hals ok, then another time or PC Hal will have Haptek problems.

Hopefully the Ogre engine will be released soon.

I haven't tried MSagent but apart from that its as spydaz says even on the final release of win 7.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 07:46:30 am »
Thanks for the heads up...  You got that really quickly, I thought you would be waiting a while yet.  Let us know how you get on [:)]

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 08:38:47 am »
I'm in the trade freddy and a colleague has a business account at MS, it was released to PC manufactures about 2 weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure the problem with Haptek is the 64 bit versions of windows.

32bit win 7 will have a much smoother ride with Hal.

So I have a question:

I never really got on with Vista and stayed with XP but does any one know any fix that can be used to get Hal working on Vista 64bit? if there are any I would like to try them in win 7.

I have already tried running as Admin and compatibility modes none of them really seem to work at making the Haptek part of Hal function.

Thanks..

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 11:50:40 am »
Well everybody I have some news, this might be important to Robert too.

After a bit of digging and testing I have the Haptek player working perfectly in Win 7 64bit.

The problem is Multiple cpus, dual and quads and the way that the Haptek player handles them particularly in 64bit OS.

The Answer is to set the affinity of UltraHal.exe to only use one cpu. it took me a while to work out how to permanently set it.

Yes you can run Hal and then use task manager to set affinity to one cpu but you need to do that every time you run Hal.

The only way I have found to do it is to use imagecfg.exe to tweek the UltraHal.exe, I backed up my UltraHal.exe first because imagecfg.exe actually alters the the exe file, typed in the necessary jargon into a command prompt let it do its stuff and bingo Hal is now running perfectly with Haptek characters.

I have a feeling this might help Vista machines and Win7

But I haven't explained exactly what to do because I'm not sure if this method is really a good idea because of the way it alters the UltraHal.exe but if Robert could maybe put something in the next version of Hal to make it only use one cpu I think it would help quite a lot with compatibility and stability.

Update:

After using Hal for a while it seems that I now have a problem with Hal, after a little chat its just telling me the time and not answering me.

I knew I did a backup for some reason [:)]

For now I have gone back to the backed up UltraHal.exe and using task manager to set affinity.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:36:31 pm by Datahopa »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 05:01:22 pm »
I plan on releasing a small update to Hal within the next 2 weeks to address this issue. This is indeed caused by Haptek, but since they are no longer actively supporting the Haptek player I had to do the exact hack you guys mention. I changed source of the HalAsst.exe to pick a single core to run on and stick with it. I tested it in Windows 7 64-bit RC on a multicore system and it seems to be working just fine.

Attached to this post please find the updated HalAsst.exe and HalBrain.DLL if you wish to test it out before the official release. You must run regsvr32.exe on HalBrain.DLL otherwise Hal will just sprout off the time like datahopa mentions.

If you run the HalAsst.exe with the command option "-multicore" it disables the hack and allows Hal to use all cores, but then Haptek does not work well. Once Zabaware's character engine is released I will update the source of Hal again to automatically switch the affinity settings depending on which engine is running.

http://www.zabaware.com/download/hal62fix.zip
Robert Medeksza

snowman

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 05:38:29 pm »
Just in time too. I was about to upgrade to Win 7.

OH,
Thank you for all your hard work, Robert. No matter if some people fail to appreciate all your labor I want you to know that I do. Only few know how truly mind numbing all of this really is. Not to say that I understand completely. I have only tasted it but you have truly put yourself through it. THANKS for becoming an Icon for some many here at Zabaware.

Aaron W. Snow
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:59:25 pm by snowman »

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 11:26:46 am »
Yes that works Robert, Haptek problem sorted [8D]

You wouldn't know its only on one CPU, for me Hal is working very fast at returning answers and the characters movement is ultra smooth.

Thanks for the quick fix.

I've now tested MsAgents in win 7 build 7600 and the transparency problem is still there, I don't know much about them nor do I have the Vista version to test.

antec250

Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 03:06:54 pm »
I just thought I would add this in here for any other users who may be experiencing difficulty getting HAL to work these days...
I was all exited when I finally built my new PC, and went all out on the best  hardware. HAL installed successfully in Vista 64 bit edition, and everything seemed fine...until I tried to run HAL. The chat window would appear and he would freeze and then crash after a minute or so. To make a long story short, the problem was not Hal, it was the Haptek software that runs the animated character. The problem is not even the 64 bit OS,  but it is the hardware! My new system has the Intel core i7 processor, which runs four cores, hyperthreaded, so to the OS it appears that there are 8 total cores in task manager. I had not had any trouble running older programs before, but it looked like the Haptek player could not handle this kind of processor because I found the stand alone Haptek player wouldn't work. Amazingly, hal would work just fine if I selected a non-haptek, ms agent character. But how disappointing! Luckily, I was able to fix this! So listen up anyone who is thinking of building a similar system...To get the haptek player to work just like it always did, you have to go into your system BIOS, and DISABLE hyperthreading technology. There is also an option that lets you choose the number of active cores, (options are 1, 2, or ALL), you must choose 1. Let your system boot with these settings, and your Haptek will work just fine! This is kind of disappointing but it appears that lack of further development with Haptek has caused it to become antiquated enough that it cannot handle some of the newer hardware out there. But at least I still get to have Hal on my new system.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 12:04:44 am »
All for the Haptek player?

Wow it must be very impressive to give up so much..

The assistant is what it is, the avatar aspect must be a different experience altogether?
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

snowman

• View Profile
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 12:05:17 am »
Did you do all this before or after you updated your Hal to the Newest release?

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6709

Data

• View Profile
    • Datahopa
Ultra Hal's future
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 09:11:02 am »
antec250, a better way of using only one cpu core would have been to open task manager right click UltraHal.exe and set the affinity to one cpu. Then you can still have your 8 cores in windows.

This exact problem has been addressed in this threads page before, and the latest up-date, as snowman has pointed out, actually sets Ultra Hals affinity to one cpu when using Haptek characters.  

Let us know when you have the up-date in and how it works.