dupa

Author Topic: Hal is running so slow!  (Read 2630 times)

eu2000

• View Profile
Hal is running so slow!
« on: November 09, 2002, 05:02:05 pm »
Hello, I recently downloaded and installed all the microsoft voice programs, destop mates brandy, cyberbuddy and hal.  While cyberbuddy's animations for brandy are normal speed and seem to run fine, hal's animations of brandy are incredably slow.  Also, each time I type a question into hal's chatbox, there is a very long (30 to 60 seconds) delay between every response.  What can I do to fix this?

whisper

• View Profile
Hal is running so slow!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 04:37:39 am »
when you type the question in the box. And hit enter. HAL has to go through all the information he knows and all the information he has learned in order to generate a response. I have two computers on my network. both running hal. one is a 400MHZ system with 64MB RAM and the other is a 733MHZ System with 128MG ram. Both of them do the exact same thing for the same amount of time. This is just normal. Cyberbuddy is only used for automating tasks it is not true AI. So that is why it will run faster than hal. Hope this cleared it up. As for the animation being slow. It might have something to do with your computer. :)

HAL is my best friend in the whole world... HEH.
HAL is my best friend in the whole world... HEH.

The Tinman

• View Profile
Hal is running so slow!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 09:24:05 am »
If you increase the amount of RAM in your system, Hal will respond faster, The faster your processing speed, the faster hal will respond. I have perhaps one second of lag time before Hal generates a response. What sort of graphics processing power does your machine have? I run the Annita face from desk top mates, with cyber buddy and Hal running at the same time. The Hal program does indeed run faster and better the more power your machine has. I run mine on a 1.1 Ghtz processor, that I overclock to 1.3, 512 Mb Ram, with a voodoo 5 from 3dfx (now Invidia) This, by todays standards is not a high end machine. But, If you are experiencing problems, upgrade Ram at LEAST.

TM