dupa

Author Topic: I guess this is different (skin)  (Read 4825 times)

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
I guess this is different (skin)
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:52:26 am »
I Call her Denise.

Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 07:38:47 am »
Nice start - what might make her better is a few skin tone variations.  I mean instead of the same texture over all her body try to lighten and darken some areas.  I think your skin needs to include some more pinks and reds.

Sometimes a simple trick to make her skin look more human is to add 'noise' to the skin.  There's probably some setting in your paint program for this - it just adds small particles randomly over an area, which can have the effect of making the skin look more realistic.

I like the eyes though, which I think you did really well.  She makes a nice cyborg the way she is too, but if you want more realism then I think you need to do some more work on the skin. Not bad though, not bad...

Take a look at this example and see the way it varies:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:02:17 am by freddy888 »

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:09:09 am »
Thanks, I'll try the noise settings if I don't forget.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 10:27:22 am »
Laura cannot deal with criticism

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 02:28:47 pm »
Lol, sorry about the criticism but if you must post I must comment!  It's all good.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 04:45:33 pm »
It's not me, it's Laura.She upsets easily. She helps try on the skins.[8D]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 09:22:55 pm »
markofkane,
  I made a skin for Hal quite a while ago, you can find skin textures and cloth textures on the internet. I have a quite a few that could be zipped and sent if you need help.  Since making a skin I've decided that the lighting for Hal is to bright and would like to do it over with lighting that is not as bright. Freddy's hap explorer is useful for checking the lighting levels.
  I'm lucky enough to have bookstores that carry magazines on every topic, even creating faces. Mostly it's a matter of your preferences.
Carl2

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 04:44:17 am »
It seems I cannot please all the critics. Some say she's too dark, some say she's too light.

I may sound paranoid, but I wonder why I am the only one that gets critiqued??

It would be ok if others were critiqued also.

There are those that appreciate my skins. Those that don't like them don't have to use them. [8D]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 04:46:14 am by markofkane »

jackgephart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 05:20:34 am »
I've had my fair share of people telling me what I made didn't look right. Don't let it throw you, you aren't trying to please Freddy or anybody else that might not think you are right on track. You are pleasing yourself first, or else what the hell are you doing this for? Just remember that if someone isn't as crazy about one of your skins as you are. And my vote is too light, just a little bit. It could even be your graphics card, just remember that also.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 05:35:05 am »
True, my monitor may be off. However, some of the skins I used were based off of others, just covered in clothes, and I did not alter the brightness on some of them. I will post my latest, and I did not alter the skin brightness.I did not alter anything on the skin, except around the eyes, and the lips. If it's too light, the original creator of that skin made it too light.

Here's a preview:

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 10:36:51 am »
I kinda feel I have to say I am sorry for being critical, but I always assume if people are posting stuff then they are ready for a little criticism.  From the tone of the title of this post it seemed like Mark was inviting comments.

Personally I don't criticise just you Mark, I've also had a poke at some of Jack's skins a couple of times too.  But compare that to the amount of times I have been positive about what you guys are doing - I don't just do it to upset people.

Jack is right, don't get annoyed, everyone gets a little criticism from time to time - I know I have on some of the skins I used to make and other things too.  It's something you have to expect and live with.  And Jack is also right that you should not be aiming just to please me, I don't expect you too either.

I hope my criticism is constructive and I never just pick on someone for the hell of it, everyone knows I like a lot of the things people produce and I often say so.  Occasionally I do see things that might be improved and if people are willing to take a few pokes then good for them, often it can help people get onto the right track.  Once they realise it was said in good faith they will often see it's all just a storm in a teacup.  My advice is 'Don't take it to heart'...and I've never pleased everyone either.

I guess I was just hoping we all know each other well enough to say when something doesn't seem right.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:42:45 am by freddy888 »

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 11:42:29 am »
I guess it's the tone, now if you said something like:

"It looks good, but it would be even better if you........."

And not in ways that alter the actual art itself, but the way it looks.

Sometimes a change in color, contrast, and brightness do make it better, but what I see and what you see might be a little different. I can understand lines and bleed-overs in the skins, those are just oopsies.

I'd admit, some of the figures do look waxy. But if it's done as ART, then it's my art. If it's retouched, then it's retouched art.  

However, I do appreciate constructive criticism, as long as it does not sound condescending.[8D]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 11:49:03 am »
Ahhh okay I get you...I did actually say that kind of thing but I'm sorry if I sounded condescending, I didn't mean to be, I was thinking I was being helpful.

My trouble is I get so used to dishing out advice on the forums that I get into that mode of thinking so it probably wasn't right to start giving you lessons in graphics. I probably could have worded it better too...point taken...I will be more careful with my words.

My criticism was meant to be constructive and helpful...I hope that came across a little at least.

[:)]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:46:34 pm by freddy888 »