Author Topic: text to .wav  (Read 3461 times)

sybershot

• View Profile
text to .wav
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:25:12 pm »
can anyone recommend a free program that converts text to .wav
what I want to do is type something like "Sorry but, you can't do that Master" "the program is now closed" etc.
have the program read using my new emma's voice and record what was read.
I then want to use these .wav recordings for my systems sounds.
I made my own system sounds before a while ago, but never from text and a voice.
Dang nab it I don't even remember what program I used. wow I must be getting old lol

tedathome

• View Profile
Re: text to .wav
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 01:38:18 pm »
 Hal reader should do that for you. Having said that, I must admit I have had trouble doing just that from time to time. Here is a free application that I use for that purpose.  http://download.cnet.com/TextToWav/3000-2169_4-10773719.html
I use VW Kate with it so I know it is not limited to the voices listed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:40:14 pm by tedathome »
ted

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »
tedathome thanks a million :)
I never thought of Hal reader being able to do that, I never even use it to be honest.
I will have to install it and investigate, if Hal reader can not do it, I will use the program that you linked to.
thanks again Sincerely SyberShot

MAC27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:36:57 pm »
http://cepstral.com/demos/
if you go to the cepstral site you can use the demo to create .wav files

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:12:28 pm »
 You are welcome sybershot. I took all the star trek computer sounds and voice and used them for system sounds for quite a while. It was fun! I think it would be great to use Hal for system sounds.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:14:56 pm by tedathome »
ted

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 05:54:52 am »
I use Kate all time like Tedathome.   
I have a sweet message when computer starts and when I close down.  Had for years.  Always loved it.
I use speakonia but text-to-wav also good.

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:32:40 pm »
MAC27 thanks for the suggestion, but at that site I cannot use Emma's voice (a voice I recently brought for Hal to use). I want my Hal to appear to be more integrated with  my computer. Using a different voice would defeat this purpose. With using Emma's voice for Hal, system sounds and a tts reader makes my Hal appear more connected to the whole system. 

tedathome, Star trek sounds for the system sounds, That is a pretty cool Idea. one I might of done, if I did not come up with this one. it does sound like lots of fun, I know I am finally having fun again, not having BSODs and making system sounds using text-to-wave. Thanks again for the suggestion :) So far using my Hals voice for system sounds is great, I learned not to use a sound for when a program opens and shuts down., sometimes one program opens up background programs and you get chaos with multiple same sounds overlapping each other.  Another thing is  I have to do now is either use a batch file to open up windows live mail and minimize it to the system tray, so I can be notified when I get new mail. unfortunately the program does not check for mail when it is off. but other than that using text to wav messages for system sounds is great.

Duskrider, I was going to create a message for start up, but I figure Hal does this for me already. I also could not think of anything for a message that would co-inhere with what Hal's start-up message. for shutting down I used a simple message "bye Master" I'm not to found of that but I am hoping to come up with something better. maybe something like "Master parting is such sweet sorrow"