Author Topic: hal reader won't work (vista)  (Read 5320 times)

r0dn1

• View Profile
hal reader won't work (vista)
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:31:40 pm »
I have Vista Home Premium and I cannot get Hal Reader (freeware) to work after installing it.

Can you help? I really like the features as described!

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:15:53 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by r0dn1

I have Vista Home Premium and I cannot get Hal Reader (freeware) to work after installing it.

Can you help? I really like the features as described!

In most cases involving Vista the problems usually are caused by the Administer permissions in you operating system. I can not give you any more information than that, sorry.
Bill

r0dn1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:33:04 am »
"Run as administrator" does not help. Neither does changing the compatibility mode.

r0dn1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:30:51 pm »
Can anyone else help?

seabrook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:26:20 am »
I'm having the same problem.  I successfully installed the program with the right serial number, but when I try starting the program it won't work.  I have Vista Premium as well.  If the program doesn't work on my computer, I feel like I've been ripped off.  Please help!!!

seabrook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:48:25 pm »
OK I solved the problem. [:)] See below.

Problem description:

As a reminder, I am using a Laptop PC under Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1.  I tried installing the program using the same method as I did on my Desktop PC (which has Windows XP Home) but it didn't work.  Instead, when running the program nothing happened; furthermore, when restarting the laptop, I kept getting the following error message:
Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Steps to resolve the problem:

1. Went to the following website
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?dllname=COMDLG32.OCX
(Found link at http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4577&SearchTerms=comdlg32.ocx)

2. Right-clicked on "Download COMDLG32.OCX", selected Save Target As, and changed the name of the file from COMDLG32.htm to COMDLG32.OCX (saved file to my desktop)

3. Moved COMDLG32.OCX from my desktop to c:windowssystem32

4. On my desktop, created a command file named "foo.bat" containing the following instruction:
regsvr32 windowssystem32COMDLG32.OCX

5. Right-clicked foo.bat and selected Run As Administrator

That's it.  I hope this helps.