dupa

Author Topic: License for Babel Infovox Heater  (Read 8085 times)

Cobra8007

• View Profile
    • http://www.blackopsmercenaries.us
License for Babel Infovox Heater
« on: January 09, 2005, 01:00:00 am »
I have been searching the internet for a license for the Babel Infovox Heather(22k) voice.  But....haven't found anyone that sells it or otherwise has it.  Does anyone know where I can get one, my 30 day evaluation has run out.

Thanks,
Tom

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 10:48:19 am »
Tom,

Had a similar problem. Although I never followed up with it, you could contact them by going to:
http://www.infovox.se/tpresent.htm

You can't download the file again because it's time stamped into your system (registry) and perhaps on their site as well.

Click on Distributors
There are phone numbers for one in California and one in Ohio (toll).

It's a shame they don't allow one to pay & download from their site!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Cobra8007

• View Profile
    • http://www.blackopsmercenaries.us
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 01:53:42 pm »
Yes, I have sent emails to Sweden, UK, and some distributors in the US, but no replies.  After reading all of the press releases, you would think a company such as that would provide better support services.  I think UltraHal should remove it from their site.  It was the reason I got involved to the extent that I did, the natural voice, that is.  I believe that Heather(22k) was the best that I had heard and now it is out of reach.  Oh well.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 02:36:56 pm »
I actually did get an email from them to which I was informed that the voice I had, (Lucy), was a Swedish voice and not for use as a US voice in my system. They told me to try the Heather voice instead. That pretty much put me in the same boat as you.

Needless to say the phrase "very disappointed" came to mind!

If a company is going to promote a product for sale, they should make it readily available to the consumer! It reminds me of the ads you see in the newspapers and flyers that advertise an item but don't display the pricing info. They want you to contact them instead so they can get all your information first.

Somebody needs to give Babel a wakeup call!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 06:11:18 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 11:09:41 am »
All,
I went to their web site and I Googled for info on them. I was rather disappointed with their organization or lack of an organization. For all we know the company could have just 5 people and a web site.

=vonsmith=

nolitanger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 04:15:16 am »
I downloaded the Desktop Pro trial with the 'Heather' voice. I told the sales rep that I'd heard good things about the product. She told me to write back after I'd tested it.

I like the voice--it's breathy, sort of Kathleen Turnerish. I, too, tried to find a 3rd-party distributor for the voice (there are none in the US). However, most of the companies I contacted didn't sell the full SAPI version of Heather; the voice worked ONLY with the utility that the company sold. No good for a Hal user.

So I went back to Infovox/Acapela. I asked the sales rep if she'd sell me a license. She said she would--for 249USD! That's a ridiculous price. The AT&T voices, which are just as good, are only 25/35USD. I pointed this out, politely, to the sales rep and asked why the product was so expensive. That was 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard back from her.

In my view, the best female voice around is AT&T's Lauren (not Crystal, the voice that intially comes with the speech engine). You can get it from TextAloud if you buy their TTS reader. TextAloud provides prompt service and good support.
[/font=Verdana]

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 06:11:02 pm »
nolitanger,
I agree. I like the Lauren voice. I think AT&T's Anjali Indian British voice is interesting as well.

=vonsmith=

lupine

• View Profile
    • http://www.thewexer.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 01:55:59 am »
Heather(22k)

working under SAPI5 and hal

just install it
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 04:42:03 am by lupine »