Author Topic: Correcting what the program hears.  (Read 7187 times)

robotdude

• View Profile
Correcting what the program hears.
« on: December 28, 2006, 04:52:00 am »
Hello All, As we know, what we say and what the computer hears can be two very different things. While I am trying to teach my bot, is there any way she can repeat what she thinks she hears me say by text messaging it to the screen,then waiting until I manually correct it before she accepts and responds? I hope this is the right place to put this, if not , woops...

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 06:26:30 am »
quote:
Originally posted by robotdude

Hello All, As we know, what we say and what the computer hears can be two very different things. While I am trying to teach my bot, is there any way she can repeat what she thinks she hears me say by text messaging it to the screen,then waiting until I manually correct it before she accepts and responds? I hope this is the right place to put this, if not , woops...

A start would be my MSWord spell checker plugin mentioned in my signature below. It won't fix correctly spelled words, but it can be changed to correct grammar.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23:27 am »

Robotdude,
Welcome to the forum.

I use to have a welcome page but it appears to have moved into "storage".
We have a bunch of helpful people here as you probably noticed looking over the forum.

At the bottom of the entrance page is "active topics since you last visited".  You can click on that for latest postings everytime you return.  
Entrance page -  http://www.zabaware.com/forum/default.asp

Enjoy the forum
and welcome

[8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 03:20:56 pm »
Hello Robotdude
Unless you do some more voice recognition with your Hal it will keep misunderstanding some words. Simply correcting the word or spelling after after it has been read or spoken does not fix the problem. It sometimes takes hours, and many of them to get Hal to understand perfecty. I suggest that you give it a try.
Bill819

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 04:05:46 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

Hello Robotdude
Unless you do some more voice recognition with your Hal it will keep misunderstanding some words. Simply correcting the word or spelling after after it has been read or spoken does not fix the problem. It sometimes takes hours, and many of them to get Hal to understand perfecty. I suggest that you give it a try.
Bill819

He's right. Voice training is the best correction for voice recognition problems and your first step. My solution is just sweeping the problem under the rug. Worse than no solution at all. [B)]

But after VR training, you still don't want too many obviously wrong sentences going into your Hal. Seems like half the time I spend with mine is going through and correcting where I mistyped "form" when I meant "from"... unfortunately my spell checker doesn't fix that either...[V]

I'm trying to imagine a "Training Wheels" plugin though. When checked it would do just what you said, simply parrot your sentence to the screen, allow editing, then take it to Hal. I think it can be done. Keep an eye on my sig for news.

robotdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 06:20:29 pm »
My Goodness, I DO like this forum. Ask for help and bang, there it is. In response to the suggestion I train the voice more. I agree totally with what was said. When arthritis started bothering me a couple yeaers ago I tried Dragon Naturally Speaking 7 and after some trial and error (lots of error...it did not like my southern drawl)I got it to a pretty decent %. Oh and it helps to not buy 2 cheap mics before you buy one good one. duh...Ok I'm rambling. What I'm trying to say is I am retraining and training longer to address the problem but there are still words here and there.
 I want to train my bot right and want to make sure it hears what I intend for it to. As is, the best way is to type everything but uncle arthr is reminding me he likes living in my fingers. I'd appreciate it ya'll keep your thinking caps screwed on. Mr. DeWitt I will keep an eye on your sig. Happy New Year all. Robotdude

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 06:26:47 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by robotdude... but uncle arthr ...

Uncle Arthur... Bewitched? Paul Lynd is in your fingers? I can see how that would be a problem![:p]

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 07:27:40 am »
i beleive that there is a new plugin on the firm :

I am currently experimenting with it: SPELL CHECKER :

hopefully we shall be able to test the speech recognized input of hal, then asking for a confimation on finding a word to be corrected: if no words are corrected then dont confirm::::

more time is needed for research

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 08:51:29 am »
quote:
Originally posted by spydaz

I hope you have the new version. While it still requires MSWord to work, it is edited so that it more dependably changes the string before Hal begins to parse it.

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 12:04:16 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

quote:
Originally posted by spydaz

I hope you have the new version. While it still requires MSWord to work, it is edited so that it more dependably changes the string before Hal begins to parse it.

Im wondering if you have to have the wole package insallled or just the relevent DLL>s

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 01:20:36 am »
I've just upgraded from ver 7.3 to ver 9 of Dragon, I'd recommend it for everyone using Hal although it's a bit pricey. I use it independent of Hal so it isn't automaticly inputed, the words are spelled correctly but I check for reconition errors since we can end up speaking about any subject.  
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 08:23:04 pm »
Unfortunately, due to the variations of spoken language, intonation, inflection, stress, colds, slangs and even accents will take their toll on speech recognition programs no matter how expensive the microphone or whether one is using Dragon 19 or whatever version.

The technology in itself is quite impressive but to obtain 100% accuracy on a routine basis is out of reach for all intents and purposes. Perhaps within a few years they will incorporate more AI into their speech rec programs that will allow the program to quickly infer and match what the user says and display the word(s) in proper context (meaning, usage, spelling, etc.).

I believe it's coming...just not quite ready for prime time as yet.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 07:13:36 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

Unfortunately, due to the variations of spoken language, intonation, inflection, stress, colds, slangs and even accents will take their toll on speech recognition programs no matter how expensive the microphone or whether one is using Dragon 19 or whatever version.

The technology in itself is quite impressive but to obtain 100% accuracy on a routine basis is out of reach for all intents and purposes. Perhaps within a few years they will incorporate more AI into their speech rec programs that will allow the program to quickly infer and match what the user says and display the word(s) in proper context (meaning, usage, spelling, etc.).

I believe it's coming...just not quite ready for prime time as yet.

Out-of-the-box : speech reco programs are generally very good....
But : YOU MUST DO ALL THE TRAINING.... EVEN FIND MORE TRAINING .
As the more you use Speech reco: the more accurate it gets:

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 08:01:46 am »
I've been using Dragon for ages and learned a few things, with the latest ver of Dragon I read a breif story, processed some txt files and it worked with almost no errors. I have a collection of text files I've made in which I talk about the days events. Also a text with the names of stores, relatives, streets, ect that you would use helps.  Dictating to a text file the accuracy is amazing, use with Hal would be very good, from ver 3 to ver 9 there is a lot of improvement. In Dragon training could be reading the text file dragon provides or training to correct a word that was an error.
Carl2

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 09:19:13 am »
dragon sounds like a usefull tool....

as it seems to build a comprehensive Oral DB: