dupa

Author Topic: voice training is 100% fail!  (Read 6479 times)

devinrayolsen

• View Profile
voice training is 100% fail!
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:25:54 pm »
As stated before in another tread below, this speech recognition feature is a mind-numbingly fail and does not work, at all.

After training my computer for hours and hours using Windows 8 SAPI and confirming with SAPI it can recognize a great deal of my speech under headset and open mic, I was very i was very disappointed to learn Hal still could not tell the difference between shut, and shot, up and of.

I'm not going to sugar coat it for you guys one iota, this speech feature of Hal is a joke, and clearly does not work. Again, just to eliminate all possibility of human error, I've read all the suggestions you have provided on the forms and documentation and still, can't get Hal to recognize a single word I speak, on headset and open mic, talking very slowly, normal rate, fast you name it.. just decides to choose a bunch of random words it thinks I'm saying.

So in a nut shell, does Hal actually use any sort of technology from Windows SAPI (windows speech recognition), I highly doubt it and call bull pucky! With that said, some might say its not fair to say such things about Hal cause speech recognition is so new, again I call bull pucky. I've been playing with SAPI since XP people, and speech recognition was 100x better than this Hal "speech recognition" over 10 years ago..

So I digress, Hal is not something you want to consider purchasing if you want to use the speech side of this software, in fact they make it seem like it is a main stream feature of the software, but then quickly hide it in the back cause of how bad it is once you open the software up. Don't believe me? How many of you had to turn the speech feature on when you ran hal for the first time? Everyone did!

Make your highlighted features better, or least on par with modern home technology.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:27:29 pm by devinrayolsen »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: voice training is 100% fail!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:57:52 pm »
Perhaps a private email to Hal's creator would have been better suited and more civil than an open bashing as you provided for us. Robert has always been good at trying his best to help people resolve any issues with Hal.

Sorry about your problem and experience. Voice / Speech recognition is STILL not an exact science. Even GOOGLE's search and some of those other phone assistants screw up. If you're seeking perfection, I'm afraid you will still have to wait a few more years. Even if you got 95% accuracy, you'd still have a lot of editing to do regardless of the program you use.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in on this.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:48 am »
i use dragon speak 11.5 version and it to sometimes gets words wrong even with training , nothing out their is perfect . And Art is right i still have to do editing to correct things .

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:16:15 pm »
Unfortunately devinrayolsen, perception plays a big role as well as experience in this field. People that are familiar with speech recognition are very aware of its short comings even as lightspeed stated, Dragon is one of the best speech recognition programs out there. Commercially maybe the best.
There are many factors including environment and cost to the public that also makes a difference. As I posted in another thread there are the problems of integration with other programs that can help or hinder the results.

Mics are very dumb they hear what they hear and there has been great strides in contamination elimination (environmental noises, noise reduction). It's not just the Ultrahal program but much more of the integration to work as well as you would have expected.

My opinion this is a forum for likes and dislikes and always has been. The newer members will in time know they can voice their opinion and possibly get answers from the more advanced members which gives Robert a break once in awhile. They will also come to realize how difficult the process and how Robert M. just makes the best product he can given time and resources. If they don't then just letting them know the thousands of happy Ultrahal users should be alright. It's all a process and a journey which is very exciting. Maybe not for everyone.

raybe

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:29:22 pm »
raybe, this post addresses many issues at the same time.
This is recognized as a 'friend' file. and an attempt to offer support, 'she' (if I may call you that) was there
when XP and my FBI background checks were taking place. ;)

The crap in the Jail, I don't know what to do, I mean why would I want to send other inmates PHOTOGRAPHS like what I saw.

-J
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:40:45 pm by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Talmahillier

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:33:00 am »
There are a lot of troubles with voice training but I believe Ultrahal is addressing it. :) Patience my friend.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:45:12 am »
Raybe is also right about the mics i have a head and ear mic and it works a lot better (their is also a training set up for the mic for first time ) recently i used the built in mic from the web camera since i hadn't used it before and could tell a lot of difference , didn't seem like it picked up my voice as good but then again back ground noise was blaring , my wife was listening to a radio talk show in the back ground on her pc in the same room! Noise can make a lot of difference .
 Their are many factors involved , when i first started training for voice recognition i had to litterly learn to stop slurring my words (something from growing up)  and speak more clearly and hal through dragon speak began to learn and understand better .
    So saying something is 100 percent fail is an over kill on words , that is unless you thought you had voice recognition on and didn't ! ;)

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 10:47:07 am »
Hi all,

ultra Hal doesn't have anything to do with voice recognition, it has the ability to utilize voice recognition software which is not part of ultra Hal.
If you're using, Windows voice recognition software, after going into ultra Hal and activating it, you need to go to the control panel click on voice recognition then go through the training session.
This will create a user account that ultra Hal will use, which is separate from the account that you created when you first train your voice recognition software inside a Windows.
You need to perform this to get the voice recognition to be more accurate with ultra Hal, not sure why but that's how it works.
If you're considering getting Dragon NaturallySpeaking, I suggest that you get Dragon NaturallySpeaking Pro, this allows you to be able to give commands to your computer as well as dictate documents.
And if you have Dragon NaturallySpeaking, I highly recommend that you use it on the outside of ultra Hal, you may have to press the enter button, but this is a small price to pay to be able to utilize the full power of Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Sincerely, oh no, don't step on my pronouns and crunch them up. Tee hee hee.
C load.
PS I have a bad slur when I speak, the Windows voice recognition software does not work for me because of my slur, but Dragon NaturallySpeaking gives me about 95% accuracy even know I have a real bad slur, I still have to do a lot of editing but it's faster than my one finger typing.
PS. PS. Then again when people do do the bashing, it does give us an opportunity to clear the air, scare the ghost the way, shake the skeletons out of the closet and destroy the myths. Destroy, that sounds so violent, tee hee hee.
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »
Hey One, yeah I tend to babel. Everyone needs a friend. A picture of misfortunes could make others feel not so alone or even good. Go figure.

raybe