Author Topic: Running Hal Bot 24/7 Without haveing your Computer  (Read 3836 times)

Squad v1.001

• View Profile
    • http://www.hazzard-squad.fx.o
Running Hal Bot 24/7 Without haveing your Computer
« on: December 17, 2004, 05:26:04 pm »
How do you do this? I want to know because I can't keep turning off and on my PC and I dont trust runing my PC on 24/7

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 06:11:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Squad v1.001

How do you do this? I want to know because I can't keep turning off and on my PC and I dont trust runing my PC on 24/7

Think about what you just said. It takes a computer to run the program so unless you use someone elses computer that stays on 24/7 then how can it be done. The answer is very simple. IT CAN'T.
Bill

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 07:42:42 pm »
Hmmm...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 07:43:39 pm by vonsmith »

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 08:27:43 pm »
If it's the Hal AIM bot Squad means, he may have in mind something like Pandorabots, or more recently Runabot, which offers 24-7 bot hosting. Of course, the situation there is that the bots run on the Pandorabots (or Runabot) server, not on the local machine. Perhaps the future of Hal might someday include a Hal AIM bot web server, with the ability to import or export files between the AIM bot or UltraHal Representative and your desktop implementation.

Squad v1.001

• View Profile
    • http://www.hazzard-squad.fx.o
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 09:57:14 am »
Ok Thank you for helping me and what do you mean it cant? Uhh I did'nt say that it was somelese computer now, think about what you just said I cant use the same IP address...

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 04:10:37 pm »
Squad,

Most computers are left on 24/7 with no ill effects. You do need to have good cooling and ventilation (add more fans if needed). With proper safeguards like firewalls and anti-virus software, you'll have a greatly reduced risk of being attacked.

Unless you are trying to do this with a single phone line, that might explain why you have to shut the computer off. (not a practical way to run a Hal Bot).

You CAN use someone elses computer while connected to a single source like a cable modem or DSL, etc. by means of a router. Some routers also have a built-in firewall and routers typically have their own MAC address, so any potential hacker would see the router's addy instead of your computers. In a case like this (2 or more computers) one would simply set up a home network through XP or even one with XP and one with 98.

Servers require their computers to be left on and most run a raid system which basically duplicates or mirrors the system harddrive. This mirrored drive will automatically kick in should the primary one ever fail.

Everyone needs to have a backup. With hardware, it's not a question of IF it will fail...it's a question of WHEN!

Hope at least some of this helps.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -