dupa

Author Topic: Talking heads  (Read 10534 times)

Bill819

• View Profile
Talking heads
« on: August 10, 2008, 04:08:54 pm »
Hi everyone
Over the years I have talked about my robot which used Hal for one of its brains. Two years ago I bought an animated helloween figure because it had an animated head that could be plugged into Hal output. Haven't got around to doing it yet.
That is not the news. I received a little catalog from a company called x-tremegeek.com. In it there is a clock radio called Mr.clock radio and it has the cutest robotic head that tells you the time amoung other things. It is fully animated and looks like it might be adaptable to use with Hal. It has a plug in for MP3 files and a motion dectector. In any event I order one and am going to see if it will work with Hal. I mean would you all like to see a real 'head' talking to you instead of just your PC?
If you log onto their site they have a short demo.
By the way it only cost about $68 so it is a bunch cheaper than the talking Elvis head I told you about a couple of years ago.
Bill
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:49:51 pm by Bill819 »

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
Talking heads
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 05:07:56 pm »
I saw the video for the head I think I may want to buy it when I have the money it is very cool

tedathome

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 05:41:20 pm »
Looks cool. Might get one if it will lip synk!
ted

lightspeed

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 06:50:08 pm »
bill do you have a direct link to that holloween thing on the site , i can't find it . wanted to read it .[:D]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 09:12:15 pm »

Bill819

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:45:46 am »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

bill do you have a direct link to that holloween thing on the site , i can't find it . wanted to read it .[:D]

I will try to find the name of the company if I can. It may be on the box the thing came in. In the mean time you might be able to find it by doing a search on robots right here.
Bill

Bill819

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 01:48:33 am »
quote:
Originally posted by tedathome

Looks cool. Might get one if it will lip synk!

The company stated that I should get mine by the 13th of this month. Just as soon as it gets here I will try to see if Hal can talk through it. If you watch the video it does lip sinc at least to the clock, but with Hal?
I may have to completely take it apart to make it work if I can.
Bill

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
Talking heads
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 07:17:11 am »

Mr Clock Radio (a very cute clock radio) is something like the material translation of a putty head.

May I suggest to improve it with a new skin:

http://www.sumo.tv/watch.php?video=3567328

(BTW, OF COURSE NOBODY IS OBLIGED TO CLICK THE VIDEO)

Oh! You clicked? Sorry. Really sorry. Couldn't resist. [:I] [}:)] [:0]

Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 07:54:01 am »
Hey, You are a real [}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)] GT.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Talking heads
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 08:13:13 am »
Gives a whole new meaning for lipsync doesn't it...

Bill819

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 09:59:40 pm »
Well Mr Clock Radio arrived just an hour ago. Turned it on and tried to get it to do  few things. I plugged a microphone into the input jack but nothing happened. Maybe it needs so power behind it.
The unit is samller than I thought. The width of the jaw is only about 6 or 7 inches wide so that can give you an idea as to its size.
I am not through experiementing with it and will keep every one informed of what I can get it to do or not.
For Lightspeed:
The full size talking fugure came from www.gemmy.com
They offer a variety of creatures you can buy. They had a Santa Clause, a snowman, a skelleton, (which was what I bought) along with a few other critters.
The life size talking/singing Elvis is from WOWWEE.COM and sells for about $350.00. It does lip sinc but is not very good at it.
Bill

caangel43

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:31:35 am »
please let me know after testing what you think of mr clock I would like to buy it but want some info on what it can do and can not do please let me know

Bill819

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 12:49:08 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by caangel43

please let me know after testing what you think of mr clock I would like to buy it but want some info on what it can do and can not do please let me know

I have not taken Mr Clock Radio apart as of yet but I must say it is kind of nice/funny to have around. It did not come with any instructions but I logged onto their web site and the instructions are there so I printed them out.
In their advertisement they say that it has a motion dector and at first I did not believe them but it does respond to both light changes and motion.
I forgot to turn it off the first night and it kept me awake til 2am until I got out of bed and pulled the plug. This was before I downloaded the instructions.
It can be set to anounce the time every hour, 1/2 hour or every 15 minutes. Inbetween those time it will randomly make some off the wall statements on it own. While on the phone yesterday it started whistling so loud the person I was talking to asked who was whistling. Hopefully in the next few days I will unscrew the bottom and look inside the unit and try to determine if it can be succesfully hacked so to speak. It might take a more skilled person to really be able to figure that out, but I will try.
Bill

Bill819

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »
Another day has passed and I can tell you that I am getting a kick out or Mr Clock Radio. At first I did not believe that it actually had a motion dectector but I discovered that it does. It also can detect changes in lighting. It can be set to speak the time every 15 minutes but many times in between it will come out and make some random statements.
On the first day, out of the blue it said 'it is so nice to hear someone say my name', as if someone had actually done so. Last night it would sneeze every so often and as if expecting some one to say "God bless" or something similiar, it would reply "thank you".
The first night I had to get out of bed and shut the thing off as it kept talking well into the night, so at 2am I pulled its plug. Since that time I downloaded the instruction sheet for it and finally know how to manage its setting.
I still have not looked inside the criter to see if there is a way to attach Hal but I will say this, Mr Clock Radio is a fun addition to my home. It absolutely acts as if it were alive at times. It is alway moving its hear around, blinking it eyes and if ignored for a while goes to sleep. If by chance you turn it off for any reason when it is first turned on it says "well, it is about time. Let me see if every thing is working".
Just thought I would pass this along. I think it is fun whether or not it can be interfaced with Hal.
Bill

caangel43

• View Profile
Talking heads
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:43:06 am »
Bill would you say it is well worth the money is there anything you dont like about it can you attach the Instructions so we can read up on it