dupa

Author Topic: voice recognition  (Read 5742 times)

tee

• View Profile
voice recognition
« on: January 18, 2005, 12:55:54 pm »
Can anyone tell me if there is a better voice recognition program
that can work with hal. or is hal just as good as any 3rd party software out there....
just curious.
tee[8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
voice recognition
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 01:29:59 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by tee

Can anyone tell me if there is a better voice recognition program
that can work with hal. or is hal just as good as any 3rd party software out there....
just curious.
tee[8D]

Some people here use Dragon Naturally Speaking with success. One thing about voice recognition is that any background noises will interfere with your sucess. I even had to turn off my home air-conditioner because of the 'hiss' it gave off. Other than that just spend lots of time training and even repeat that process a few times from the begining.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
voice recognition
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 07:44:14 pm »
Bill's correct about the background noise thing. Sometimes the slightest hum or little noise that might seem insignificant can throw off the recognition.

There are a lot of decent microphones out there and yours really doesn't have to be an expensive one, but, be sure to position the mic at the corner of your mouth as opposed to directly in front otherwise, you're likely to experience a lot of "poping" type sounds when pronouncing words that begin with the letter P.

Do not talk to it with gum or a cigarette in your mouth.

Speak clearly and enunciate each word as if you were talking to a child. Speak with a tone about as loud as you would to a person sitting next to or in front of you (provided they're NOT hard of hearing...WHAT?!)lol!

Personally, I've had a lot of success just using the one that came with WinXP. The training routine is really the key and the more the better as Bill mentioned.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 07:49:44 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

tee

• View Profile
voice recognition
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 11:38:56 pm »
Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the response.[8D]

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
voice recognition
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 12:20:51 pm »
I HAVE FOUND THAT THE BUILTIN MICROSOFT SPEECH RECOGNITION IS VERY GOOD. VERSION 4 / 5 / 6

LEAVE THE SETTINGS ON mUST HAVE BEST ACCURACUY (wHILE TRAINING)

BUT YOU MUST TRAIN UP THE LESSON INSIDE THE SPEECH CONTROL PANEL. IF YOU COMPLETE ALL OF THE LESSONS IT SHOULD WORK WELL.

AFTER TRAINING PUT THE SETTINGS ON LESS ACCURACY THEN YOU MAY FIND IT WORKKING. IN A LOW NOISE ENVIRONMENT.

I OFTEN INSTALL THIRD PARTY SPEECH PROGRAMS JUST FOR THE VOICE THAT COME WITH THEM.