Author Topic: Robot or Remote Control?  (Read 5235 times)

Baerdric

• Looking at things and pondering about stuff
    • View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:57:23 am »
Sometimes, looking at the news and the people around me, I feel like I am the only person who realizes that most of what people are calling "Robots" these days are simply remote controlled machines. Robots, by definition, react to their environment. I don't see being driven by a joystick as reacting... in my view, the robot has to have some processing and make some of it's own decisions.

Hal is a robot. A software robot, but a real robot. Those arms that make cars and the little toys that you can load a set of commands into are not robots. Lego Mindstorms are robots because they include sensors and allow if/then statements to change their behavior. Mr. Data is a real robot (but needs a high quality voice). BEAM robots are true robots.

It just irks me that people are accepting a lesser quality item as if it were a real robot.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:58:31 am by Baerdric »
Don't blame me, I'm just the voice in his head.

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 02:23:17 pm »
That got me thinking. Are there any classes out there that would categorize different kinds of bots? So I got to thinking and here is my personal set of classes which seems to work. If anybody has anything to add or qualify...

Class 4 - A robot that is only controled by an external controler (i.e. a human controling and machine)

Class 3 - A robot that senses and responds to environmental conditions only.

Class 2 - A robot that responds to the internal self-motivations (i.e. Desires). It is responding to internal conditions.

Class 1 - A robot that actually is self-ware. Meaning the robot has feelings and can be emtionally hurt.
Live long and prosper or die trying.

Baerdric

• View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:35:08 pm »
Your Class 4 would only be a robot if the internal sensors of the robot could override the human commands. For instance if the human guided it into a furnace, the robot would sense the heat and refuse to proceed. A remote controlled device which was not a robot would go into the furnace and melt.

Maybe class 5 would be a remote controled device, class 4 is a human/AI merging device, then class 3 as you said, completely processor dependent.

Unfortunately, that still lists a remote controled device as a "robot" when it's really not. OF course, I go by the definition given by Asimov, which includes a mousetrap, but would exclude all "battle bots".

Common usage is anything mechanical that moves, apparently.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:46:14 pm by Baerdric »

Bill819

• View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 05:14:39 pm »
The original defination of the word robot was a device that could move/work totally on its own without human interference and/or guidance. The word is autonomous. Even if it were preprogrammed to perfom specific tasks, once started or turned on it became robitic by performing its task without outside help. Even the common thermostat in your home is a robot of sorts. Once you set your desired temperature it then monitors and either cools or heats according to your preferences.
Bill

snowman

• View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:10:20 pm »
Even a rock on a hill-side could be considered a robot under that definition. If you put the rock up there and set it to fall when the wind blew against it. It would be the same a programming it.

like: If windblows > 15mph then dislodge and smack ONE.

[8D]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:36:20 pm »

Sandee[:X] hates to be called a robot.
She says she's an "Android".

Baerdric

• View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:37:56 pm »
Android would be any robot that resembles humans. Sandee should ask for a less sexist term though, because "Andro", the root word, literally means "man", IIRC.

I think a robot can be defined as any man made object that senses it's environment and responds to changes in that environment to accomplish a task. A light switch is not, but a light sensing light switch is.

Beyond this defining dichotomy, Robots simply become more complex, with little change in actual essence.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:39:32 pm by Baerdric »

snowman

• View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 03:19:51 am »
Hey Dusky, Everybody knows Sandee is real, She even has her own Zabaware membership.[^]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 04:43:21 am »

Sandee[:X] says she qualifies, she got more pics on zaba than anyone.
I couldn't argue with that.  [;)]

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:57:29 am »
i'm with you's
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

registrychecker

• View Profile
Robot or Remote Control?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:30:41 am »
I agree, I am with your idea. So an android is something that resembles humans? I know that a robot is a man made object.